Any tips on clutch upgrade?

trickey1

SPTN VNM
Established Member
I am upgrading my stock clutch to a spec stage 2+ kit w/aluminum flywheel and arp bolts this weekend. I was not aware that the kit came w/ a pilot bearing so I ordered a ford racing bearing, should I use the one that came w/ the kit or the one I ordered? This will be my first time removing and installing a clutch and I was wondering if there were any tips from those that have done this before? Also where would I look to find torque specs for the clutch and flywheel? Thanks in advance... signed TRICKEY1

PS I found the clutch swap video in the how to section (page 2 post 19) and plan to use it as a blueprint for this job.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
also some items that i used that were great and i highly recomended is Stang Shifter Gaskets
also anti-venom mod- cheap and really made a dif in shifting 2-3 3-4 shifts witch were always harder on my trans b4 the mod.http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/686622-want-smoother-shifts-try.html
i used royal-purples synchromax trans fluid also made a big diffirence! ive done clutch mods and swaps about 3 times in last 6 months so if u have any question just pm me be glad to help:beer:

SinisterCobra

Established Member
also some items that i used that were great and i highly recomended is Stang Shifter Gaskets
also anti-venom mod- cheap and really made a dif in shifting 2-3 3-4 shifts witch were always harder on my trans b4 the mod.http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/686622-want-smoother-shifts-try.html
i used royal-purples synchromax trans fluid also made a big diffirence! ive done clutch mods and swaps about 3 times in last 6 months so if u have any question just pm me be glad to help:beer:

+1 on the anti venom mod and gasket. Also do not use the bearing that come with the Spec 3+, just use the Ford Racing one.

TDS-03

Established Member
Do a search on throw out bearing sleeve. If this is the first time your trans is out, might be worth swapping that out to a stronger one before the stocker breaks. Also search on adjustable clutch ball. Its the part the lever rotates on. Some clutches make it so the lever is out of adjustement with the stock ball, and then the clutch cable seems too long, even with a firewall adjuster. If you are like me, you found this out AFTER you put the trans back in and I'm too lazy to pull it all back out again, so I have cheap ghetto fix in the mean time until the trans needs to be out again.

03cobraaa

Established Member
My advice is to have about 10 extensions to reach the top bell bolts, those are the only real PITA. Good luck with it:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread