Any tips of installing an Aluminum Drive Shaft?

Bmr4life

Established Member
Got a used Axle Exchange DS coming today. Includes the pinion flange and 4 bolts.

I have this link that explains it, but just want to see if there are any other pointers out there. Thanks

11/10/2012

Update: All done.

Had the car up in the air at 11:00am. On the ground with garage cleaned back up at 3:20pm. This included a 15min run to autozone and me having to fabricate an aluminum pinion flange puller since nothing autozone had would work. Also included me re-torquing all my lca relation bracket bolts since I just used the impact to do it earlier in the week (I knew I was coming back for the DS install).

Here's my ramp setup. Wooden ramps under all wheels (drove it up like that) then I jacked up the rear axle so I could spin the tires.

IMG_7620.jpg

Old and new (to me) drive shafts.

IMG_7621.jpg

This is honestly an easy job as long as you have decent strength and cardio AND aren't overweight. I'm 6' 180lbs (with a gut) and can slide under the car relatively easily. Removing the pinion flange was the only hard part (over an hour spent here) and that's because I could not find the proper tool and had to make one. Once that was done it took less than 2 mins to remove it. Getting the pinion nut off was not that bad (less than 5 mins). My electric ryobi impact was not up to the task so I had to use my 18" breaker bar which did take every ounce of muscle I had in that tight confinement. It broke loose after 2 tries. Then I used the impact for the remaining threads. I did spray it with PB Blaster and let that sit for over 5 minutes while I cleaned the threads of all the DS bolts I was reusing.

Oh, when you do get that pinion flange off, be quick with the replacement. It leaks the stink oil fast. I was ready, but bobbled a little bit.

Here's a pic of my custom flange puller. It uses parts from the gear puller I rented from autozone.

IMG_7624.jpg

Cardio comes in for all the times you have to do this sequence:

Crawl from under the car, loosen the hand brake (or put car in neutral), crawl under the car and spin the shaft, get back in the car and pull the hand brake (or put car in park), crawl back under the car and loosen/tighten the bolt.

I did that over 25-30 times.

What my garage looked like as I was nearing the finish line.

IMG_7622.jpg

Done.

IMG_7625.jpg

I've been up to 90mph with no hint of vibration. Looking good so far.

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
I changed mine and kinda was a pain once you pull the stock flange off you will get a little fluid leak and i didnt get it torqued right so my rear started to whine

Bmr4life

Established Member
Update: All done.

Had the car up in the air at 11:00am. On the ground with garage cleaned back up at 3:20pm. This included a 15min run to autozone and me having to fabricate an aluminum pinion flange puller since nothing autozone had would work. Also included me re-torquing all my lca relation bracket bolts since I just used the impact to do it earlier in the week (I knew I was coming back for the DS install).

Here's my ramp setup. Wooden ramps under all wheels (drove it up like that) then I jacked up the rear axle so I could spin the tires.

IMG_7620.jpg

Old and new (to me) drive shafts.

IMG_7621.jpg

This is honestly an easy job as long as you have decent strength and cardio AND aren't overweight. I'm 6' 180lbs (with a gut) and can slide under the car relatively easily. Removing the pinion flange was the only hard part (over an hour spent here) and that's because I could not find the proper tool and had to make one. Once that was done it took less than 2 mins to remove it. Getting the pinion nut off was not that bad (less than 5 mins). My electric ryobi impact was not up to the task so I had to use my 18" breaker bar which did take every ounce of muscle I had in that tight confinement. It broke loose after 2 tries. Then I used the impact for the remaining threads. I did spray it with PB Blaster and let that sit for over 5 minutes while I cleaned the threads of all the DS bolts I was reusing.

Oh, when you do get that pinion flange off, be quick with the replacement. It leaks the stink oil fast. I was ready, but bobbled a little bit.

Here's a pic of my custom flange puller. It uses parts from the gear puller I rented from autozone.

IMG_7624.jpg

Cardio comes in for all the times you have to do this sequence:

Crawl from under the car, loosen the hand brake (or put car in neutral), crawl under the car and spin the shaft, get back in the car and pull the hand brake (or put car in park), crawl back under the car and loosen/tighten the bolt.

I did that over 25-30 times.

What my garage looked like as I was nearing the finish line.

IMG_7622.jpg

Done.

IMG_7625.jpg

I've been up to 90mph with no hint of vibration. Looking good so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread