Any thoughts on some msd ignition coils

alex12gt

Established Member
Havnt heard of anyone with them i think the general thought is useless.....all the shops running big numbers arnt using them if that tell you something

Chaney5.0

01bluesnake

Established Member
The stock coils are fine and do work. However all these guys that are lowering their plug gaps to .030-.032 to run boost could possibly benefit from a higher voltage ignition coil. The more voltage the coil puts out, the wider the gap you could get away with running, without having spark blow out, thus giving a more complete cylinder burn. The better the burn, the more power you get. I would like to see an independent test done on a set of coils, one being a N/A car and one a boosted car. Obviously this test would need to be done with increasing plug gaps to see how much better the aftermarket coils are at sustaining a proper spark than stock coils.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
What about these? (watch the video)
2011 - Present Ford Mustang 5.0L Hot Street Coil Packs: Granatelli Motorsports

I saw these in person at SEMA last year and they looked very nice. They said they've never had one fail.

Never seen anyone use them though.

I was having issues with spark blowout and considered these. Did some research and found alot of failures, thus their lifetime guarantee. I ended up going with a boost-a-spark on a hob switch. Never looked back and don't have the spark blowout problem anymore. :beer:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
2011 - Present Ford Mustang 5.0L Hot Street Coil Packs: Granatelli Motorsports

I wouldn't buy a sticker from them. But regardless, it's a waste of money from everything I've heard.

Torchy

Established Member
I was having issues with spark blowout and considered these. Did some research and found alot of failures, thus their lifetime guarantee. I ended up going with a boost-a-spark on a hob switch. Never looked back and don't have the spark blowout problem anymore. :beer:

Hmmm interesting

Users who are viewing this thread