Any swimming pool experts help needed

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
Hey guys. I'm having a strange issue with my pool this season. I'll give quick bullets to keep it short and sweet.

-Filter pump primes fine, and circulates fine under normal operation
-pressure stays hovering between 16-18psi
-Sand filter, I believe 18000 galllon pool, two surface skimmers, one bottom skimmer, two surface returns and two bottom returns

Problem 1 :
-Too much air coming from returns CONSTANTLY. Definitely not normal compared to previous seasons

I've replaced a few o-rings that were slightly leaking and no improvement.

Problem 2: Which I think is related

-When I try to isolate EITHER surface skimmer to vaccum, pressure drops below 10psi. If I have the vaccuum hose on, pressure drops to zero and filter loses prime. I completely purge the vaccuum hose before this fyi.
-BUT if I isolate the bottom skimmer, pressure stay about 15psi

These problems are new to this season like I said. I have tried letting it filter for a few hours to see if it would bleed and hasn't done so.. Also, like I said I replaced any visible leaks. The water level is NOT dropping so I don't think there are any non-visible/ underground leaks. So before I have someone come and rape me, I was just looking for some suggestions.:beer:

COBRAGUY95

Freshly Squeezed
Established Member
Im going with system still pulling air in from filter or pump. What kind of pump you have? Square lid or round? When you shut it off any sucking air sounds? Did you bleed the air out of filter with bleeder valve? PM your number I call you if you want.

CDep55

Established Member
I am a supervisor for a pool managament company and its really hard to say because every pool is different. My job is really just to drive around and make sure the lifeguards arent sleeping and stuff, fix chemical levels, and occassionally backwash pools and look for things that dont seem right. In your situation I would backwash. but i am sure you have tried that and know how to backwash since you have a pool?

We do have a lot of pools that have bubbles coming out all the time though, so it may not really be a big deal. As far as i am concerned as long as the water is circulating then its all working.

16-18 psi is not that great if your trying to clean a pool. Depends on how strong your motors are as well. I dont really know the technical stuff, but i do know that if im asking my lifeguard to vacumn a pool im not gonna leave them with 16-18 psi. If i backwash i try and get it down to 10, but for regular pool operation 16-18 should be fine. But maybe your pool likes a lower psi.

Users who are viewing this thread