any suggestions about launching?

racinmasonc

Established Member
Hey guys i have a factory suspension 01 cobra and just wondering if you guys know any tricks to launching?? the way i do it is slip the clutch out on the street a 3k and i get NO wheel hop at all.. barely any wheel spin.... at the track with the factory gears i launced at 3500 and it was way too low, bogging like crazy with only 2.2 60' times on 555r's.

i just wanna launch at like 5k and pop the bitch out but afraid of wheel hop then snapping an axle!!!

also i just installed a 75 shot of nitrous... any tricks to launching on spray or wait till 2nd gear to spray???

the way i launch i take everyone that i've raced from the hole... 99 TA auto with longtubes, true dual exhaust, lid, 3.73 gears, ls6 intake manifold... friends 03 cobra with 2.8, cat back and intake... 2002 WS6 M6 long tubes, x pipe, exhaust, 3.73's, lid, wires....

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You don't have the gear to just pop the clutch, you'll bog.

If you're running drag radials in the rear, launch about 4500-5000 and slip the shit out of the clutch. The stock clutch will hate you, but with the stock gears you'll never be able to side step the thing. Not to mention I'd be worried about blowing out the center section like Sonic_4.6 did.

If you're not getting wheel hop now with the way you launch, you probably won't get it launching higher (unless you do sidestep it and break traction slightly.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
oh, that's a bit different. I still wouldn't pop the clutch but I'd slip it out pretty quick at 5500 or so. Heat the shit out of your nittos so they're sticky.

Wheel hop is caused when the tire is in between it' traction and slip area and it going in and out of having traction. This causes hop and when you're dealing with sticky tires that's when you break half shafts. So I still wouldn't pop the clutch for fear of doing that, but getting those nitto's hot will certainly help.

racinmasonc

Established Member
that high??? damn.. i'll have to try that...

what about on spray??? spray outta the hole or not a good idea? wait till 2nd..

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
get some 26" slicks, rev to 6,000 and side step the clutch, that's what I'll be doing next week when I run my red car for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread