Any stereo guru's on here?

skstang

Established Member
I put in a JL Stealth Box with a 250/1 JL amp running off the rear speaker outputs. This is in my convertible. I have never run an amp off of speaker outputs before so I didnt know what to expect. I have to say a $1000 later I am very dissappoited. The bass is excessive. The bass is not clean at all. Kind of like the 2000 RPM exhaust droan x 2. The crossover is at about 40Hz on the amp. Anything greater than that and it gets really bad. I am wondering if the signal going to the speakers is so shity that the amp is just magnafying this shit? Does anyone have any pictures of aftermarket head units I can look at. I love to hear the car but I am also a big audio person so I am looking for a good sounding system.
Thanks for any help.
Steve:shrug:

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Taking signal off of the rear speakers outputs from where the headunit, amp, or rear speakers. I would try and patch into the output as close to the headunit before the amp as possible and use shielded cable to connect to the amp. Also make sure the ground is a solid connection preferable a home run back to the battery with the positive run. You are talking about the integrated low-pass cross-over unit correct this should be set to around 120 Hz. The Bass control should be turned off. Set the input sensitivity to minimum as what you are describing sounds like either you are having ground noise or over driving the amp and speaker.

I hope this helps.

El Culebra

Established Member
I started to piece together trying to use some stock eqiupment along with JL it didn't sound the greatest not because JL sucks but it's very hard to make OEM stuff work. I didn't want to even spend this amount of money but I ended up spending $2600 bucks only because I love music.

I got an Alpine 7995 Head Unit, with the 6 disc changer AiNet MP3 ready, one JL 500/1 wich runs a W7, a 400/4 running the 4 XR series Ford speakers a Pheonix Gold 15farad cap, XM radio and a custom install removed the tire for weight reduction due to the amps and W7. It sounds like a million dollars. I know this doesn't help you I'm quite proud of it. you may consider getting a head unit I almost bought the stealth boxes but I didn't like the way they sounded. e-mail if you want pics.

Users who are viewing this thread