Any REPTILE keepers here?

Naja

cobra keeper
Established Member
What do you have? What do you keep it in? What did you used to have? What do you want? Pictures welcome.

EDIT: Some of my pics are on page 2

Mr. Funny Poster we're talking about the live cold blooded ones here. Not the one you drive to work or on the weekends and definitely not the worm in your underbritches. You get the point. You can also save the, "a good snake is a dead snake" post. :beer:

Last edited:

Adam.L.

Established Member
Naja said:
What do you have? What do you keep it in? What do you want? Pictures welcome.

Had 2 iguanas. I thought it was a good idea when they were about 5 inches long. They got big and started fighting with each other, so I ended up building an upright 2 unit cage wih each compartment being about 2'x5'x3'. Add heat lamps, wood chips, basking logs, heat rocks, food and excrement. They were kind of a hassle to care for, but I stuck to it til they died.

What do I want? I want all of the other animals in my current residence to die. I'm kind of tired of caring for them. My GF does most of the work involving the animals so I suppose I shouldn't complain. I know, it's kind of harsh, but my allergies have become quite annoying and taking away the animals would be a great improvement. The next step - kill the grass and pour a concrete back yard.:)

97white46gt

poon diver
Established Member
Currently I don't have anything, I just got tired of the upkeep and maintance...

Here is a list of what I can remember of breeders..

At any one time 15-20 Corn snakes
2 Emerald Tree Boas
Red Tail boas
leopard geckos
bearded dragons
pre-hensile tail skink
amazon tree boas
Jungle Carpet python
ball pythons
horney toads
rat snakes
Mali Uromastyx

And probably quite a few others I can't remember.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
We use to have pet snakes when we were little. It was always exciting to make a trip to the pet store to purchase mice to feed to them.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
ball python, in a terrarium, heating lamps, humidifiers, sometimes I let him roam. very cool, not aggressive, sits on your arm comfortably (feels like a heavy sleeve really. cousin had a boa 18 feet. one long snake. again cool though, if you get them from their birth, they are used to humans, and usually won't attack or be fearful of you. I had a gecko too...had. I said the snake wouldn't attack a human. whoops. <---serious.

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
i have a ball python, i have had for 10 years approximately. he has been a good pet as i havent had any problems with him, i keep him in a relatively small wooden cage with a glass front. i keep a water bowl, log (for him to sleep in), and a heat rock in there, i put wood chips in as bedding as well. i tried indoor/outdoor carpet once but he HATED it and refused to touch it, it was kinda funny actually. i feed him a live small rat every 2-3 weeks and he always eats without hesitation.

here are some quick shots i took of him

and his cage

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I've got about a 4' ball python. He's pretty mean though. Very moody! One of the few mean ones from what I've heard.

Naja

cobra keeper
Established Member
Cool animals folks.:coolman:

Ball pythons are great. Sometimes finicky eaters but otherwise usually very calm. I will own another one some day. The pic below was my last one.

newnew003.jpg

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
I have had a bunch of reptiles and amphibians as pets over the years, and the coolest one by far has been my current Bearded Dragon which is about 16 inches long now. He/She/It? is docile, can be easily handled, does not bite, looks super cool and is really funny in character. Sometimes we let him run free in the house b/c he is too big to lose inside, yeah right... It (Drago) stays in a 35 gallon tank with a screen top, has 2 different light sources, heating pad and branches. But now is too big for an aquarium. I am planning on building a larger cage this weekend actually.. something like 4x4x2 with ply, plexi, and screen... He is really easy to keep, eats june bugs, crickets, lettuce, strawberries, pellets - super easy!

other reptiles I have owned in the past 20+ years
Nile Monitor Awesome lizard but mean as all hell with a nastty bite.
Savannah Monitor - nice
Cuban Anole - mean as hell
Tokay Gecko - mean
Armadillo Lizard - very nice
Emerald and Jewel Swifts - very nice
Eastern hognose snake 13+ years and caught in wild - nice easy pet
Speckeled King snake caught in wild - not so nice but beautiful
Corn Snake - not so nice
Green Iguanas - nice
Anoles

sorry dont have any pics at the moment...

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I really want a bearded dragon, anyone got a price range to get a decent set up for these (plus the cost of the animal)

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I just bought a Veiled Chameleon Tuesday!
He is about 5" long total. I have pictures of him on my phone, I will post them up tonight when I get home.

I have yet to see him eat though!
Every day I add more crickets to his cage, but none are disappearing!

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
3' Ball Python, Pastel (not quite as bright as the one in the pic above).
4' Ball Python, regular
6' Redtail Boa (cranky sob)
12" Bull snake baby

SVTContique

Snakes are dumb pets. What do they do? Sit there and make noise and be useless. Cant even play with the damn things. That goes ditto with fish and birds as pets.

Naja

cobra keeper
Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
I just bought a Veiled Chameleon Tuesday!
He is about 5" long total. I have pictures of him on my phone, I will post them up tonight when I get home.

I have yet to see him eat though!
Every day I add more crickets to his cage, but none are disappearing!

Any suggestions?

Veileds are very cool looking!

I hear Chameleons can be a pretty fragile reptile species to care for. I am not sure though since I have never cared for one. I believe they require high humidity. If you haven't tried any Chameleon forums yet, you may want to start there. Kingsnake.com is a good staple for any herpers needs. You might find some helpful info in the link below.

http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=44

Naja

cobra keeper
Established Member
Khameleon said:
What do they do? Sit there and make noise and be useless. Cant even play with the damn things. That goes ditto with fish and birds as pets.

People often ask me why do I keep venomous snakes, you can't play with them. I often say that to me owning a venomous snake is similar to having fish in a fish tank. They are there for my visual enjoyment just as fish are there to view for the same reason. But not all people will agree with or understand that. I suppose in order to keep them in your household you really have to have a strong admiration for fish, birds, snakes, or anything that is not the norm. They simply do different things for different people.

I am a huge fan of cobra's and admire them so much that my state provided me a venomous license to keep them in captivity. Not to mention I have well over 1000 documented hours of time with venomous snakes. My cobra currently acts as my visual entertainment just like some people keep fish for the very same reason. It's just a hobby. To each is own.

I used to be in the reptile business where I educated groups of people about exotic animals and venomous snakes were always the star attraction. I no longer do the shows so I downsized my collection to just one snake. One snake is good enough for me now. The up keep is a lot less.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Veiled Chameleons are super cool and friendly... I love their eyes.

Yes they are fragile and sensitive. My friends' Veiled Chameleon died last year and he did not know why.... but it was fun to hold. Its color were beautiful...

97white46gt

poon diver
Established Member
Naja said:
People often ask me why do I keep venomous snakes, you can't play with them. I often say that to me owning a venomous snake is similar to having fish in a fish tank. They are there for my visual enjoyment just as fish are there to view for the same reason. But not all people will agree with or understand that. I suppose in order to keep them in your household you really have to have a strong admiration for fish, birds, snakes, or anything that is not the norm. They simply do different things for different people.

I am a huge fan of cobra's and admire them so much that my state provided me a venomous license to keep them in captivity. Not to mention I have well over 1000 documented hours of time with venomous snakes. My cobra currently acts as my visual entertainment just like some people keep fish for the very same reason. It's just a hobby. To each is own.

I used to be in the reptile business where I educated groups of people about exotic animals and venomous snakes were always the star attraction. I no longer do the shows so I downsized my collection to just one snake. One snake is good enough for me now. The up keep is a lot less.

I'd like to see some pics of your set up/collection... I've always been intrigued by hots, but just never bit the bullet and got into them.

Users who are viewing this thread