Any Problems Useing A Predator And 91 Octane?

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
Did anybody have any problems using their Predator and 91 octane gas. Here in California 91 octane is as high as we can get, but checking on the Predator web-site I read this:

(The tunes are perfectly safe, as long as you use 93 octane or better fuel. We have been using the same tunes in our DiabloChips for many years with no tuning issues!
If you do not have access to good fuel, do one of these to avoid detonation
(pinging):
In Predator Modify Parameters section, lower full -10% timing and go full
rich on air/fuel ratio or
Obtain a Custom Tune from your dealer).

Did anyone using 91 Octane have to do any of that?
MAT2CH========================
:shrug:

JayL

Established Member
For starters, make sure you have the most updated version of the Predator software. Once you are sure about that, select tune that is for your octane gas and mods. Too simple and much safer than the old predator tunes. And in a week when you want more, get with a tuner and have them dyno tune your vehicle or if that's not an option, get an email tune sent to you. The predator tunes generally are leaving a lot on the table, but they are safe and every vehicle is different.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I'm running the 91 oct w/ pulley and I 'm having no problems at all. I am running 93 oct though. May be to be safe you could run the 87 oct tune and run 91 in your tank to be "safe" until you can get it tuned.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
I hope the 91 Predator tune works for 91 octane gas. I got the "needs 93 octane" from Predator's FAQ section, which may have been the rule when they were using the older Predator tuner. I'm hoping the newest Predator will work with 91, as I'd hate to have to buy additional octane buster for it.
MAT2CH==========================

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
The newest revision is fine. What are your mods? I have a K&N FIPK, Metco Aux Idler, 6lb Lower, TR6s, Predator w/ the 91 octane Pulley tune adjusted to 12.0 A/F Ratio, FTVB w/4x4 pan and only have one problem.. Im not making shit for power. Other than that, everything is great.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
"The newest revision is fine. What are your mods?"

Right now just a Volant CAI and an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. I had a #4 lower pulley and a Superchips chip, but the Ford dealer removed them as they were not noticed when they sold me my certified pre-owned truck. So it's now back to stock except the air filter and exhaust.
MAT2CH=================

JayL

Established Member
If you are not modded, I would not even bother using a tune of any sort. Ford spent a lot of time and $$$ making the truck run safe while stock.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
That's true, but I've been told that I can get another 35 hp with a Predator and a stock tune. I have heard that there is an improvement overall with the Predator.
MAT2CH====================

Users who are viewing this thread