Any Prior Baja 1000 Participants?

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I'm kicking around the idea of running a vehicle in the race. Anyone here with any experience in the race?

:rolling::rolling::burnout:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
this is one of the major items on my "shit to do before i die" list, would be so damn amazing! the biggest problem with running baja though isn't the race vehicle, but it's the pit logistics. you gotta have a LOT of people and a couple chase vehicles with parts for baja.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
this is one of the major items on my "shit to do before i die" list, would be so damn amazing! the biggest problem with running baja though isn't the race vehicle, but it's the pit logistics. you gotta have a LOT of people and a couple chase vehicles with parts for baja.

Yes, I think the logistics is most of the work and the driving is the easy part.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
I did some support work for a buddy's team a couple of years ago. He was racing a rail, and it was 4 trucks, 2 fifteen passenger vans, and about 30 people. Crazy money to run that event. I did see guys do it on bikes with shared crews, etc. I spoke with some of those support team members, and they said it cost the entrants about 2k a piece to run it that way. Also some of the bigger companies offer support (tires, fuel, etc.) that will help just about everyone out. What class of vehicle are you considering?

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I did some support work for a buddy's team a couple of years ago. He was racing a rail, and it was 4 trucks, 2 fifteen passenger vans, and about 30 people. Crazy money to run that event. I did see guys do it on bikes with shared crews, etc. I spoke with some of those support team members, and they said it cost the entrants about 2k a piece to run it that way. Also some of the bigger companies offer support (tires, fuel, etc.) that will help just about everyone out. What class of vehicle are you considering?

I haven't made that decision yet. I was leaning away from a bike for several reasons.

First, its been a long time since I did any significant dirt biking and it I believe it would take a lot more practice to get my skill level up to snuff. Not that I wouldn't need a lot of practice in a pickup, but I don't think it would take nearly as much.

Second, being in my 50s, I don't know if I could take that kind of a beating. I would have to spend a lot of time preparing phsyically, though that isn't a bad thing.

Third, and most important: I'm thinking of doing this with my oldest son. We can take turns driving/navigating. That isn't an option on a bike. Sharing the experience with him is one of my greatest motivations for this.

I'm thinking there must be a reasibably economic classn to run. Something close to stock.

I admit that I have not yet had the time to research the classes and figure out how I want to approach this. But my gut instinct is something on the order of a small stock 4 wheel drive pickup. Something I can get into rather cheap and spend minimal $ on modifications.

Any suggestions?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Toyota pick up 4x4 would be a good one to try out or pick up an older f150 or something to that nature. I'd do a toyota pick up early 90's model swap in a 4.3 for more power which can be done cheaply, suspension and all other necessary stuff

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Toyota pick up 4x4 would be a good one to try out or pick up an older f150 or something to that nature. I'd do a toyota pick up early 90's model swap in a 4.3 for more power which can be done cheaply, suspension and all other necessary stuff

Old Tacoma + 1UZ-FE = FTMFW!

Users who are viewing this thread