Any postal workers here?

PSI87

Banned
I was buying stamps today when I suddenly got an idea. Could I send a letter w/o a stamp? Here's how I'm thinking about trying it:

Make out the return address as the destination, then drop it in a drop box. That way when they go to mail it back for postage, it actually gets delivered. Would this actually work or some modified version of it? Would they even return a letter with no postage or just destroy it?

It would seem like they would simply return it because I imagine in most cases the person either forgets to add a stamp or it falls off and most people aren't out to cheat the system like me. If I don't get any responces on here I think I may go out and try it.

txyaloo

Established Member
This idea has been around for a long time. It does work. I wouldn't try it though because it's a violation of Section 1725, Title 18 of the U.S. Code. It might also be punishable as fraud, since you intended to defraud the Post Office of revenues. I don't know that it's worth it to save .39 cents.

Along the same lines, you might find this site interesting - http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume6/v6i4/postal-6-4.html

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
It might work if it's the same state. But if you put a different state as the Return address and your address as the To, it might come back and bite you. However if you put a fake To address and the destination From address it might. Too much hassle to even try. It's not worth the 39 cents.

mnewxcv

Established Member
its fraud, but it works, sometimes with packages too...but uh, i wouldnt know ;)

good luck

PSI87

Banned
txyaloo said:
This idea has been around for a long time. It does work. I wouldn't try it though because it's a violation of Section 1725, Title 18 of the U.S. Code. It might also be punishable as fraud, since you intended to defraud the Post Office of revenues. I don't know that it's worth it to save .39 cents.

Along the same lines, you might find this site interesting - http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume6/v6i4/postal-6-4.html

USC said:
Sec. 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title. AMENDMENTS 1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for "fined not more than $300". 1970 - Pub. L. 91-375 substituted "Postal Service" for "Postmaster General". EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1970 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 91-375 effective within 1 year after Aug. 12, 1970, on date established therefor by Board of Governors of United States Postal Service and published by it in Federal Register, see section 15(a) of Pub. L. 91-375, set out as an Effective Date note preceding section 101 of Title 39, Postal Service.

I should have know there would be a law against this. If it was just the $300 I could consider risking it because the odds of being caught have got to be next to nothing. Even if you are, I listed 2 excuses above. The prospect of fraud isn't very appealing. I checked out that website you listed and it was very interesting. I've thought about trying to send something unpackaged in the past before too but never actually tried it. Thank a lot.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
I have recieved mail with no postage. They hold it at the post office and send you nottice that you owe postage to pick up your letter or you can refuse it.

Users who are viewing this thread