Any Pharmaceutical Reps in here?

99BOSS

Established Member
Im pondering a career change and would be interested in doing this. I have a BS in Biology, chem minor with emphasis on cell and molecular biology. Out of college I worked in a ER for 4 yrs and applied to med school. Then I burned out on health care and went to work in the family business where I still work but its not degree related at all. So, any input from any reps? Suggestions? Ideas? The only thing hurting me is lack of sales experience but dont drug companies train you to sell their product anyway? Maybe a entry level positition. Thanks for any input guys! :beer:

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Personally I'm not a fan of selling things, but I'm sure if you're a good salesman you could make good money. You just have to enjoy that sort of thing.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
it's not sales unless it's a new drug though. It's babysitting.

Though the good days are long gone.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Peddling shit sucks and you might have to be open to a lot of traveling...but with your background get an entry level position as a chemist or lab tech at a BioPharma company.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
More money in medical device sales. Either career is challenging and rewarding if you put in the work. Good pharma rep = $100k
Good device rep = $100-200k.
It's NOT a 9-5 job and very competitive to get your foot in the door.

jf4boogie

Established Member
I don't remember the name of the company off hand, but I met a younger guy that had a similar college background as you. He "sold" the hardware used in surgery like the titanium screws, plates, etc. and he seemed to really like his job. He made good money, sometimes got to be in the o.r., and his only complaint was being on-call like 1 weekend a month or something.

Anyway, seemed like a pretty cool gig... G/L in your search

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
wifes friend does it and makes good money but you have to hustle as others said, you can either sell or can't, sink or swim type.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
much, more money in equipment sales, as stated above. lots of travel if you have a large 'territory'. up here in wisconsin, some of the reps put 50+k miles/year on their cars, but the money is good.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I don't remember the name of the company off hand, but I met a younger guy that had a similar college background as you. He "sold" the hardware used in surgery like the titanium screws, plates, etc. and he seemed to really like his job. He made good money, sometimes got to be in the o.r., and his only complaint was being on-call like 1 weekend a month or something.

Anyway, seemed like a pretty cool gig... G/L in your search

Orthopedic hardware sales is where it's at. Doctors will always need the screws and plates for surgery. Guy I know does the same thing and works 9-4 every day and like you said, on call 1 weekend a month. Makes a pretty decent amount of money as well.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
I work in the OR and talk to reps all day... I do anesthesia, so oncetje patient is asleep, I basically tall to everyone... The reps that make good money are the guys that have a buddy high up. All the new guys get the shitty products and the new products. The older guys get the solid stuff that makes money. Like some people already mentioned the days of making it big are over once the FTC regulated gifts and such... It is like pulling teeth just to get these guys to buy lunch nowadays. There is sone great money to be made though... One of the spinal fusion reps... ( we do lots of pediatric scoliosis cases). Made over 400k last year. Most make around 50k, which is a good living. There are bonuses and such, but you really don't have to sell anything, the soca use it, you open it, and ypu get paid. Working in the OR can be nasty if yoi get wn asshole surgeon so keep tsp in mind too.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
^ as stated spine reps typically make the most, and have a good lifestyle. Total hip/knee reps also make a good living, and have great hours. There's really no such thing as an asshole surgeon anymore. The rep is paid to bring the equipment necessary, know their product thoroughly, and open a box with metal implants in it--not crazy difficult. If the rep doesn't know their shit, or doesn't consider all things the surgeon might need, then they deserve to be told about it. The days of surgeons going absolutely berserk and making nurses cry are over--you just can't act like that anymore--

These jobs are not easy to get. You usually have to start selling trauma equipment, which means lots of call, and maybe even acting largely as the 'gopher' delivering instruments to different hospitals. But in the end you will make much more than a drug rep, and get to work with surgeons, who are quite a bit more fun to work with than general practitioners.

Users who are viewing this thread