Any other good wax besides Zaino?

Orange Poison

Established Member
Hi folks,

I hear all the good results Zaino has been giving you all.

But I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a Clay Bar - Wax combo that has less steps to do than Zaino.

I have a really bad back, and it even kills me to wash my car...but I grin and bear it since I like to do the job myself.

Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
I use Meguiars show car polish and then top it off with Meguiars carnuba wax (i think thats how its spelled). Shine is very nice, haven't tried zaino but I may when I run out of Meguiars just to see the difference. :coolman:

ntechnic

Established Member
I have a bad back too, broke it in five places. I bought one of those adjustable height mechanics roller seats, it's a back saver. In fact, I got it through a Ford apparel catalog, so it's even got the bars & running pony logo on it.

All of these have little trays under the seat to hold tools or wax bottles. If you get one make sure it has all wheels able to free-caster. Otherwise it's too tough to maneuver and you’ll just get annoyed.

The roller seat, along with a good random orbit buffer makes it much easier to work on the car. The hardest part for me is the hood. The trunk deck is higher and therefore easier for me. For the sides, I just sit on the chair and start to work around the car.

As to the thread question, I too use Meguiars, but I do the whole three-step thing (claybar, polish, wax). I don’t use the stuff they sell at Pep Boys. If you want the good stuff, go to an auto paint specialty store. There are Meguiars products that aren’t sold in regular stores and they’re much better than the mass distributed stuff.

I have tried Zaino’s and Mother’s. Used each for half a year. Now, all I use is the good Meguiars stuff. IMO, best depth, shine, and easiest to use.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I prefer Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax (and my car is BLACK). Meguiars has been making car care products probably longer than anyone and I have always gotten excellent results from their products. Their stuff is hard to beat IMO. I personally think that the Zaino is WAY over rated, especially for the $$$$.

kizersoze

Established Member
I've used Meguiars before and am more satisfied with Zaino because of its durability (one coat will last a long time compared to a traditional wax). Whatever wax/polish you decide to go with remember that the claying is probably the most important step to get your paint surface squeaky clean.

Good luck,

Kizersoze

Intense

Established Member
i have always used meguire's in the past but decided to try zaino on my '98 i just traded. it was chrome yellow and i couldn't tell much difference between the two. just sent an order for more zaino to try on the red, hope it looks good b/c this crap is expensive.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
What steps??? You wash, which may or may not involve the Clay Bar, Mix Z5 with ZFX apply, wipe off. If you want to get fancy you can.

CobraEd

Established Member
Meguires Gold Class

Gold Class, The best by far. I have Zainos and found that it was not even close to Meguires Gold Class

MyZinc03

Established Member
I recently used Mother's clay bar. Works real good. Paint is like glass now where before it was very oxidized and rough. After that I put a coat of Mother's sealer and glaze and am planning on a coat of the carnuba wax. I tried the McGuire's Gold class and it did not impress me. The Mother's sealer/glaze looks better. My car is zinc yellow so its very hard for me to tell.

rmoreau

Established Member
I tried Zaino on 2 of my previous cars with dark colors. Not fav. 1st, its $$$. 2nd, lots of prep (not a bad thing, always good to do once a year no matter what you use). 3rd, no diff to me in shine. 4th, lousy, near non-existant protection. 5th, application is like having sex with your car :chicken: silky smooth and smells good too!!!

I switched to Eagle one WET teflon wax. Awsome armor plating for your car! Long lasting, easy to apply and remove!!

:thumbsup:

Randy

Orange Poison

Established Member
Thanks guys for all your replys,

Allot of people here recommend Meguiars...I'll look into this one

Another one might be the Mother's.

I don't know if Meguiar's has the clay bar though?

But, this is what I was looking for......Clay Bar > Polish > Wax combo. So either the Mother's or Meguiar's.

I think the Zaino thing would be too much for me and sounds very complicated. Plus, might save my back!

Last edited:

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
Can i add to this by asking, what is the best for black cars?
Having used Meguiars & Mothers products on a previous mineral grey, I found both to be excellent but I am wondering what is best for BLACK?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I haven't tried the Mother's so I can't say how well it does on the darker colors, but the Meguiars Gold Class works EXCELLENT on my Black Cobra! :thumbsup:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Yes, it helps to both deepen and darken the color while helping to hide swirl marks and other imperfections common with Black all while adding a very deep rich gloss to the paint. Try some I think you will really like it. :beer:

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
Thanks for the the advice, I already spent some $$$ on Zaino after reading here how good it was. I have only one coat so far and it looks good, I will continue with it till its gone and decide then if I would like a change but I was interested in your comments about other products. Thanks again.

tammy

Established Member
We have two black cars and are keeping Zanio polishes on them. Zaino gives black that depth and wet look and looks so good. Actually my detail guy just got back from a car show in TX (goes down to detail all the car show cars) and is giving them another coat of Zaino this morning. Zaino last a long time compared to others imhol. I know it's more the first time you do it but after that it's not that big a deal to wash and polish. The Z6 is awesome stuff and I highly recommend the tire dressing. Yeah it's exp but it stays on the tire not slung all over my paint and gone the next morning. It stays for days even thru rain! You would'nt waste your money esp if it's a dark colored car the results are truley great. I have heard many people say they can't tell a hugh difference on the light colors then again some people swear by it no matter the color.

Users who are viewing this thread