Any opinions on the SLP x-pipe?

toast

Established Member
Ive been going back and forth with my planned exhaust setup relentlessly and I finally found one I REALLY liked.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/mac/3/1ac35df1-30c6-40f3-afb3-c00ee127888d.htm

Its slp o/r x with mac catback. I just wanted to know if there is anything about the slp x that makes it really unique or if I could get that sound with something else (hopefully cheaper :D) It seems like most other o/r x pipes are raspy as hell, especially the cheapies, so maybe Ill have to bite the bullet, but any input is appreciated.

thanatos0446

Established Member
SLP doesn't screw around with their stuff, which is how they became an OE supplier for the Firehawk and Camaro SS models. Personally, I get wood from listening to my car, LT's, o/r X and SLP LM1s, but that may be just me. Back to your question, yes, each X, H, and Prochamber sounds different. I had a MAC off-road H in my car before the LT's, and my car THUMPED like a 70 Mach, but I've heard other cars with an o/r H that haven't sounded NEARLY as good. As to what SLP does differently, it's in the materials that they use on their parts. Pretty close to all their stuff is 304 Stainless, which, due to its construction, imparts a deep resonant tone. Aluminized pipes tend to have a more raspy tone, because they're naturally thinner and more porous (at the molecular level).

Hope this helps!

DTB

Established Member
I have one on my 96 cobra. my car sounds like sex and i like the performance gain. i will try to get you an exhaust clip. i highly recommed you go with a straight through style muffler as x pipes dont sound the same with a regular chambered one

toast

Established Member
SLP doesn't screw around with their stuff, which is how they became an OE supplier for the Firehawk and Camaro SS models. Personally, I get wood from listening to my car, LT's, o/r X and SLP LM1s, but that may be just me. Back to your question, yes, each X, H, and Prochamber sounds different. I had a MAC off-road H in my car before the LT's, and my car THUMPED like a 70 Mach, but I've heard other cars with an o/r H that haven't sounded NEARLY as good. As to what SLP does differently, it's in the materials that they use on their parts. Pretty close to all their stuff is 304 Stainless, which, due to its construction, imparts a deep resonant tone. Aluminized pipes tend to have a more raspy tone, because they're naturally thinner and more porous (at the molecular level).

Hope this helps!

Very helpful, thats exactly what I wanted to know and explains a lot of why the midpipes I initially looked into sounded so crappy, haha.

I have one on my 96 cobra. my car sounds like sex and i like the performance gain. i will try to get you an exhaust clip. i highly recommed you go with a straight through style muffler as x pipes dont sound the same with a regular chambered one

I havent fully decided on the Mac but I really do love the video I found, so far its the first video that Ive liked THAT much so Im really leaning towards it. Im going xpipe almost for sure, the cat-back is still debatable, but still in favor of MAC.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I think SLP is the worst brand of exhaust for a mustang. There is no tone to their exhaust, it is just loud and poppy and cracky.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
All of the exhaust sound in this video other than the little clip of me in the beginning is coming from an SLP catted x with SLP LM2's.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JPa1z4hFY"]YouTube - The Death Eater vs The Shiftymobile[/ame]

Last edited:

thanatos0446

Established Member
Sorry, I LOVE my LM1's, but I'm a big fan of announcing my presence to the masses at car shows and G2g's. I like the straight-through sound, and I think that they sound better than chambered mufflers... the chambers always sound like they've got cotton balls in the tailpipes to me.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I have an slp catted x and it sounds great but the only problem is that it hangs LOW. I mean real low and it does scrape occasionally

kush97

Established Member
i like the sound om my 5.0 of lm 1's and anyways isnt the one x pipe where you can easy change the cats on and off too if im not mistaken?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
my slp hangs low too, I'm still trying to get it to sit higher, hopefully taking the cats off will help

toast

Established Member
Oh man Im really glad you guys brought up how low it hangs, I remember reading that somewhere now. Idk if I could stomach paying that much for a midpipe and scraping it all over everything. I had a bbk x on my gt and that thing was raspy as hell and seemed to hang low too. Its funny how I can spend my entire life driving and never see a rock in the middle of a BRIDGE and the one time I do Im in my lowered GT and it hits my xpipe and puts a NASTY dent in it as well as breaking an o2 sensor clean in two. Idk if I wanna go through that again. I may go with a catted or offroad UPR in that case but the jury is still out.

MisterChrome

Established Member
For those of you with an SLP catted x...how are you going to convert it to an O/R? I have a catted and want to go O/R with it, but SLP does not sell the cat delete section anymore

bullitt890

Established Member
my slp x did not fit great either. it hung way too low, so much that i couldnt get the car off the lift. $200 later at the exhaust shop and it fits perfect, tucked up very nice from the headers all the way back. ended up being a $600+ midpipe :bash:

EDIT - its for sale if anyone's interested ;-)

Last edited:

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry, I LOVE my LM1's, but I'm a big fan of announcing my presence to the masses at car shows and G2g's. I like the straight-through sound, and I think that they sound better than chambered mufflers... the chambers always sound like they've got cotton balls in the tailpipes to me.

+1

milktasd2

Established Member
sorry to go off track but,

thanatos0446, will you post a sound clip/vid of your car? I have LTs and LM1s and thinking of getting the SLP o/r X as well and would like to see what yours sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread