Any one ever install used gears?

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
I bought some used gears on ebay (3.73), they were chipped and messed up apparently, and whine like you wouldn't believe, which I'm sure could be the installation. I am not sure which to blame, but I must get these fixed. Common sense for the most part tells me get new gears and go to a trusted shop. I can get a low mileage set of 3.55's from a Mach for really cheep though. Has anyone else had better luck than me with used gears? Or should I stop being cheap (like I have much of a choice) and get new. I just don't want to plop another $350 down and be in the same spot in 3 months. On the other hand it seems like every Mach 1 owner sells thier stock gears and some people have to be buying them and putting them in. This car didn't used to be my DD and now it is again so conservative gear is not of a concern to me but the noise is!

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
id just go new, i mean with the money you already spent and are going to spend for another swap you could have went new already and been ahead

4valvemach

Established Member
WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU BUY USED GEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nonono:

used headers,rims,exhaust,body panels etc etc yes anything.... NOT...a wear item

used oil,brakes,pistons,cams,GEARS etc etc NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just save up money and get stuff new thats what I do :shrug:

kh_5.0

Established Member
i know somebody that put used 355 in his 5.0 and had no problems at all... but when i gear mine im goin new... i think it will be better in the long run

cobrachingon

Established Member
WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU BUY USED GEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nonono:

used headers,rims,exhaust,body panels etc etc yes anything.... NOT...a wear item

used oil,brakes,pistons,cams,GEARS etc etc NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just save up money and get stuff new thats what I do :shrug:

what makes you think that used gears are a bad thing to do?? i did it several times in the past and never had a problem.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree...never buy used gears because the labor itself can be a huge PITA and you don't want to do it twice...

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
they were chipped and messed up apparently xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx go to a trusted shop.

Are you saying that this is what your shop told you?

You must of looked at them first, no?

Because if that's what they are telling you AFTER they installed them, buddy's an idiot.

BTW- I'm assuming that you don't have the most faith in them, by that last comment. were they recommended to you?

Novice

Established Member
There is a lesson to be learned here in this thread. Even for a Novice, I too have learned the Moral of this Sad Story. But on a better note, I will now be selling my 3.73's in hope of finding a so-called Smart Buyer. 4.10's might be coming sooner then I expected...=) Vroom Vrooom...Beep Beep Beaches

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Are you saying that this is what your shop told you?

You must of looked at them first, no?

Because if that's what they are telling you AFTER they installed them, buddy's an idiot.

BTW- I'm assuming that you don't have the most faith in them, by that last comment. were they recommended to you?

+1 on all the Q's.

Was a rebuild kit used with the install?

How much did they charge to install? IME (which may not be shared by others), the cheaper the install, the crappier the shop when it comes to gears. Gear changes aren't the 'easiest' and good shops know it.

As long as the gears are in good condition, I don't see anything wrong with getting used. MANY of members on teh registry sell and swap used gears without problems. From what I've seen, a good 70-80% of gear problems are installation. Whether it be shop, or failing to use a new install kit.

Users who are viewing this thread