Any OHIO guys with collector plates???

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
Im looking to get some for my 03 cobra but the ohio DMV states:

Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production...

Just wondering if i will need to do this or if they already know that the cobra were limited production? any thoughts?

Yellow4.6

Established Member
If it's an SVT you can get collector plates, I believe all you have to do is take in your SVT documentation to the BMV stating it's a limited production car.

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
It seems that all the requests for collector plates come from columbus HQ's. Looks like i will be hitting up the local SVT dealer for some documents. Thanks

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Looked in to this as well. I have seen an '03 with collectors plates, but was told by the BMV that the Cobra is not on the list. You can, however, get a collectors plate if:

Less than 8,000 were made (supposedly does not include color combinations, only model numbers), which does include the '04, or...

You have done more than $5,000 in modifications and have receipts.

Oddly enough, the '03 that is local to me that has the collectors plate said he did not fall in to either of those stipulations. Maybe they have changed the rules down in Columbus. Still want to pursue it...

racerbox77

Established Member
You need to have another vehicle in your name as well. The car cant be your dd. SVT certificate and pics of inside, outside should be enough. Also you cant drive the car more than 5,000 per year. Yes you need to contact the Columbus DMV.
Funny thing about that is Columbus doesnt have emission restrictions like Cleveland. At least they didnt a few years ago.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You need to have another vehicle in your name as well. The car cant be your dd. SVT certificate and pics of inside, outside should be enough. Also you cant drive the car more than 5,000 per year. Yes you need to contact the Columbus DMV.
Funny thing about that is Columbus doesnt have emission restrictions like Cleveland. At least they didnt a few years ago.

Talked to a lady in Columbus a few weeks ago and told her all that. She simply said the '03 Cobra is not on "the list". Maybe I'll try again and see if talking to another person will help...

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
03 cobra here and i have personalized collector plates....no problems.

my neighbor has an 04 Mustang gt with collector plates

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Guess I will just send the application form in with a copy of the SVT certificate and see what happens.

nicksender

Established Member
I have collector plates on my '03; however you do need another car as your primary which I did have when I applied. Good luck as the BMV in Columbus give a different answer depending on the day and everything has to be done through them in the mail. Pretty archaic if you ask me.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I have collector plates on my '03; however you do need another car as your primary which I did have when I applied.

Yes, that is all on the form and spelled out quite clearly. When I called, I gave VIN's and plate numbers for BOTH my cars, one being the daily driver, and was simply told the '03 Cobra is not on their list. It's a matter of sending in the form, and probably the SVT certificate, and having it dealt with by someone who is not totally clueless.

t.wiley

Established Member
I also have collector plates on my 03 Cobra. Sending in the application with a copy of the title and the SVT certificate was all that was necessary.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Looks like it got approved for me, just got a bill from the BMV for the plates. Sent the application in with a copy of the SVT certificate and even added the SVT Welcome letter and it went through:rolling:

mustangvick

Im the new king of cleve.
Established Member
collector plates

mailed in my ebay receipt for terminator drivetrain purchase, my 2000 gt title,$101.00 for my personal collector plates.(the money amount payed backed up in case some chevy dude got my appl.) :banana:

Dragu1a

Established Member
i have an '04 cobra, so i'd qualify for collector plates? how much do they cost and what's the benefit of having it, or is it just for show? my tags expire in april.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Look on the BMV site for costs. Just as mentioned in this thread - send in a copy of your SVT certificate. With the collector plate, you no longer have to deal with the e-check.

Users who are viewing this thread