Any of you tear your ACL and have surgery?

tistan

Established Member
I tore my mcl and the miniscus cartlige about 10 years ago. For the first week I could not put any pressure on my leg. I don't even think I was able to shower for the week. My friends came by to visit and told me it was time for a bath. I had to try to start bending it and stretching. Rehab was a bitch. It was very painful for me, especially at the end of the workout when they elevated my leg, put ice on my knee, and hooked up the electical stimulous. My 3 days a week rehab lasted about 8 weeks. It probably took me 6 months to fully recover back to where I could play basketball and golf.

G:342

Just here for the ride.
Established Member
Blew out my ACL and MCL all in one swift move. Playing football, Planted my foot, got hit, foot stayed in the ground.

Took me around 10 months to be up and around by myself. They layed my knee open though when they did the surgury.

Last edited:

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
not completely but mine is torn pretty bad and i missing a small chunk out of my cartlige =/

im going into surgery in a couple weeks he said recover time now is down to a week or so so i dont think its going to be too bad

snakecharmer

Established Member
I blew mine out on my birthday in 2003. Nothing sexy like sports or doing wild activities :-D ...It was a stupid move I made while taking down the Christmas tree. Had it repaired several months later, but had to go back into it 6 weeks after the first time because I turned out to be allergic to the stuff they had sewn me up with and it got infected.

Recovery is no picnic. It took a solid 6 months for it to feel anything approaching pain free, and another 2 years to get back to 100%. I was able to drive the vette within a few weeks (hydraulic clutch), the Saleen was 4 months before I could take it. To this day, it is still uncomfortable to put my knee on the floor with my entire body weight on it.

Do the PT, and if it hurts like hell, do it more. If they are not pushing the hell out of you and making you think they are biggest bunch of sadists on the planet, find someone else. I can not stress that enough.

Best of luck, the surgery and recovery sucks way more than they tell you up front.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i tore my acl when i was 17 a senior in h.s. wrestling the athletic director who was a state champ. while in the process of throwing him around i tore my acl and my miniscus. i had surgery when i was 18 during winter break from college. the first two weeks sucked. but i was playing full court basketball by 8 weeks. i couldn't really jump very good and didnt try. if your not a pro athlete you should be on your feet and doing everything normal by two months i would say.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
tore my MCL and supposedly I have a small tear on the ACL from soccer... MCL took about 2 months to heal back (maybe less time), but it's mostly my fault for not waiting the time period my orthopedic asked me to wait.

Just rehab it.. it's a long road... many people come back after a year or so.

What did you use? hamstring? patella?

GreenSnake

Established Member
I used my patella. The day of surgery and the day after were the worst. Now I'm able to hobble around with my brace and crutches. The pt certainly helps a lot. Even with the nerve block, morphine, and oxycodone my knee still hurt. I tore mine playing soccer, my cousin has torn the same one three times!

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
Tore up just about everything there is in a knee playing football. Had the good ol platella tendon graft done and I was on crutches and leg brace for about six months, then spent another year with just the leg brace. For me, it was the most painful experience I've ever been through. Hope you recover soon, good luck.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I had the "unhappy triad of the knee." That includes the medial meniscus, medial collateral ligament, and the anterior cruciate ligament. A nasty college football injury.

Now, almost twenty years later that knee grinds, crunches, and pops daily.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I had the "unhappy triad of the knee." That includes the medial meniscus, medial collateral ligament, and the anterior cruciate ligament. A nasty college football injury.

Now, almost twenty years later that knee grinds, crunches, and pops daily.

Same here.

a couple of weeks and I was up and walking fine. without crutches. 7 mos and I was Jogging. Follow your doctors every word. at 2-3 months you will feel great. Don't try to do anything more than your doc said was OK.

Users who are viewing this thread