any new info on the cams?

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
I heard the same as phillycobra. Didn't L&M say something like "the stage 3 cams make power after 4500rpm and the eaton doesn't make power after that, so you need a KB to see the results."

I know the eaton is not efficient in high rpm, but every dyno I have seen (including mine) shows that our hp climbs fast all the way up to 6krpm, even with a 2.80 pulley. So I think that is just an excuse for something because if their stage 3 cams are the ones they are having problems with, then where the heck are the dyno charts for the stage1 and stage 2 cams? They were claiming 50-150hp just for the stage1-2!!

I don't know why they would claim that we could get up to 200hp with their cams, and then not back it up. Oh well, I guess we should have known better than to get our hopes up about actually having a shop make some cams that have been proven on the dyno to make power.

What you have to take into consideration is that the new cams are going to change the way the car breaths and how much air can get into the cylinder. With more lift and more duration the cam is allowing the cylinder to take a deeper breath. The same pump (blower) is going to have to push more air just to keep the same boost levels. With the eaton being just about maxed out already I wouldn't be suprised to see it running out in the upper rpms. Especially since that's where the cams are just starting to become efficient.

jim

Robertson Racin

All American Muscle
Established Member
My car also make power well over 6000rpm, I'm calling BS on the L&M cams.................Lets see the charts, before and after.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
What you have to take into consideration is that the new cams are going to change the way the car breaths and how much air can get into the cylinder
Thats true.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
The reason for me to do the cams is not solely for power, it's for efficiency. What they'll do is allow me to still make 640rwhp but at lower boost and a lower A/F. If i keep the boost equal to what i have now, 19psi, i'll see over 700rwhp. There is no question to me in that regard..power is attainable, but i want to make it as easy for the motor to operate without stressing itself. Power is great, but u also have to go about harnessing it in a safe manner. Another example about efficiency: Long tube headers. I've pulled on cars making more rwhp than me on top end simply because i had headers and they were still on stock manifolds..my car was more effecient. Don't always get caught up in numbers on a dyno.

Case in point: The video i posted of the my friend's 03 with KB and cams.... His car without cams should have been making more boost than me because he was running a bigger lower and i'm still on a stock. Because of the cams his boost was less than mine, moreover, his A/F was in the low to mid 11's..mine is 12.0.

Last edited:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
John, they're Crower Cams. I put a hold on the live axle. There r two 03's testing out supposed near bulletproof halfshafts. DSS and GKN. I'm waiting for the R&D results.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
The IRS is still on..i called off the live axle before it was installed when i heard about these halfshafts. If you'd like i can give u the contact info of the individual doing all the R&D work on the 9". He'll be making more than one set, so i'm always going to have one available should i choose to go that route. Even if the shafts hold up....if i can't launch like i want to, i may still go the live route. R&D is time consuming, but no mod is cheap at this point so i'm willing to take my time.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I like Xplicit point of veiw, people are too cought up in boost for one. If I am spinning my KB at X number of RPMs now and am getting 17psi and I open up the heads with some porting, keep valves open a tad longer my boost will drop BUT, is my blower spinning fewer RMPs? Of course not, so why would dropping boost be a bad thing? In actuality it wouldnt, Boost = pressure, the fuel and spark heats air in the cylinder causing it to expand pushing the piston and thats where our power comes from NOT from the pressure in and of itself. Pressurizing the air also causes heat (which expands the air) and makes it harder for the fuel system to counteract.

If I could drop boost by opening up heads and adding cams and maintain the same volume through blower it would give me more overhead for my fuel system, reduce inlet charge temps and most likely result in an increase in HP even with lower boost.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i agree shadowgrey03. boost is actualy a measure of backpressure in a way, if you can lower it without slowing down the blower (by means such as porting and cams) you make your motor more effecient. more effeciency means more HP, a cooler running and longer lasting motor. :beer:

hey Xplicit, i cant wait to hear some results from ya! on the half shafts too. i dont want to go with a solid axle, i like my IRS too much. and it would be nice to not have to worry about picking up peices of my rear end after a run at the drag strip. but, once we get the half shafts, where is the weak link going to be?

and it gets kinda old people telling those of us looking for more power to learn to drive before we increase power in our cars.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Yea, it gets old, I admit. But there are FAR too many guys with tons of horsepower that have NO CLUE how to put it to the ground. I actually got myself in a bit of trouble a while ago when there were so many KB's and like 2 timeslips out there. There are still not too many timelsips from people with kenne Bell blowers because once the Bell goes on, all of a sudden people "forget" how to drive. Then comes the ET Streets, solid rears, etc. That is one reason why I am going with 15#, one reason is longevity of the engine and the other being is that IMO anything more than that is useless on the track and street. I prefer to not let my car overpower me. yea, breaking the tires loose at 50mph is real cool looking and impressive, but it gets old quick when the car next to you has a hook and is walking you.

Franco, thanks for explaining why you are getting the cams. But I don't have the time or money to install such an expensive part just to make my 15# more efficient. If efficiency was all I was after, I would get the Apten and keep a 2.93 on it.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i agree with the point you make, solid snake, and i respect your oppinion. guys runnin 12's with 600 rwhp should def. learn to drive :) i still have a long way to go, and i am no pro driver by any means, but i do believe i can make the most of the power i have at hand. which is my reason for wanting more. besides, just cause i have the power on tap, doesnt mean i am going to be trying to use it all the time.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Agreed. Totally 03InThe11s, just trying to clarify what I meant.

As a KB owner, it kills me to see guys with 17-19# boost running 12.2@122 mph?

I ran a 12.2@119 on F1's with a 2.09 60' time with just common bolt-ons. IF the car doesn't go ANY faster with the KB and sticky tires, people will hear about it, trust me. However, I am confident that my KB will lay waste to an Eaton car that was set up like mine used to be.

Control

Established Member
Hey Franco you are one of the true standup guys on any board. I know what youre doing with your car takes alot of guts and you paying everything out of your own pockets says even more. You are a class act to be followed. :beer: Looking forward to your results and man you powershift like a pro!

Last edited:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
It's a fun hobby that's allowed me to talk too and meet some great ppl. I'm glad u liked my demonstration, Chris :lol1:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
but, once we get the half shafts, where is the weak link going to be?
The differential, and John(KevinJKD)just posted a pic of one in his track thread of someone busting it. Not sure if he had upgraded shafts or not, regardless..that'll be the next weak link.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I like Xplicit point of veiw, people are too cought up in boost for one. If I am spinning my KB at X number of RPMs now and am getting 17psi and I open up the heads with some porting, keep valves open a tad longer my boost will drop BUT, is my blower spinning fewer RMPs? Of course not, so why would dropping boost be a bad thing? In actuality it wouldnt, Boost = pressure, the fuel and spark heats air in the cylinder causing it to expand pushing the piston and thats where our power comes from NOT from the pressure in and of itself. Pressurizing the air also causes heat (which expands the air) and makes it harder for the fuel system to counteract.

If I could drop boost by opening up heads and adding cams and maintain the same volume through blower it would give me more overhead for my fuel system, reduce inlet charge temps and most likely result in an increase in HP even with lower boost.
You're a wealth of information, my friend :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread