any new info on the cams?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
ok. the other thread was getting to freaking long. so, again, i ask the question: is there any new information on cams for our cars? i want dyno results on an actual car. anyone?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
JD reported the aggressive cams only worked well at high RPM, where the Eaton poops out, so they made no sense. Was waiting to change blower on his brother's car before continuing. Unaware of anyone else running new cams or producing dyno numbers.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
ok. the other thread was getting to freaking long. so, again, i ask the question: is there any new information on cams for our cars? i want dyno results on an actual car. anyone?

CAMS = "tEh GAY" :bash:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I heard the same as phillycobra. Didn't L&M say something like "the stage 3 cams make power after 4500rpm and the eaton doesn't make power after that, so you need a KB to see the results."

I know the eaton is not efficient in high rpm, but every dyno I have seen (including mine) shows that our hp climbs fast all the way up to 6krpm, even with a 2.80 pulley. So I think that is just an excuse for something because if their stage 3 cams are the ones they are having problems with, then where the heck are the dyno charts for the stage1 and stage 2 cams? They were claiming 50-150hp just for the stage1-2!!

I don't know why they would claim that we could get up to 200hp with their cams, and then not back it up. Oh well, I guess we should have known better than to get our hopes up about actually having a shop make some cams that have been proven on the dyno to make power.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Cool, those are the ones I'm thinking about too. Are you doing the work yourself?? A shop quoted me 14 hrs for the job. Thats 1200 in labor! Though about porting the heads while they are nice and handy?

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
I'm having them do it. 12-14 seems about the average for install. It's not just installing them..i'll need a new tune again as well. Haven't given it a thought..you?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
No way can I do the install. I was talking to a shop in town about porting the heads. If I got that done there would be no extra labor in doing the cams since you have to reset them anyway once you pull the heads off. Problem is, cams, porting and labor, you are talking 3 grand for at most 50 hp. If you don't wanna do a different blower, which I don't, you don't have much choice though.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Unfortunately, once u do the basic bolt-ons everything else is high priced territory and/or unchartered. 1 year ago the proven mods were the basic 4. Then came the T/B, to which debates still exist..then headers, again, still debates exist. The best bang for the buck right now after the basic mods is porting the Eaton: $500 for 40-50rwhp. Wouldn't it be nice to port a KB and see what happens?

T/B $600(at the time)for about 10-15rwhp?
LT's $800 for about 15rwhp?
Cams $1,500(cams, springs, lifters)for ??

It now becomes a horse power to money ratio. How much do u spend for rwhp or do u try to convince yourself that it makes the car more 'efficient' thereby disregarding the rwhp gain. Throw in labor and it sky rockets. Unless you're sponsored, it's a very high gamble to pay money and not see substantial gains. If cams do not produce it'll be a worthless mod to do, UNLESS u bank on the supposed 'efficiency' factor..and i know that won't fly for a majority of owners.

Last edited:

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
like Ive mentioned before. There is so much power one can put down to the pavement. I think everyone should invest some $ in racing school and learn to drive these beasts to their potential. That would be the most ET and Trap Speed for the buck.... just my .02. Either that or learn your car on your own, but I guarentee that noone can drive their car to its full potential with it changing power levels all the time...

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
I heard the same as phillycobra. Didn't L&M say something like "the stage 3 cams make power after 4500rpm and the eaton doesn't make power after that, so you need a KB to see the results."

I know the eaton is not efficient in high rpm, but every dyno I have seen (including mine) shows that our hp climbs fast all the way up to 6krpm, even with a 2.80 pulley. So I think that is just an excuse for something because if their stage 3 cams are the ones they are having problems with, then where the heck are the dyno charts for the stage1 and stage 2 cams? They were claiming 50-150hp just for the stage1-2!!

I don't know why they would claim that we could get up to 200hp with their cams, and then not back it up. Oh well, I guess we should have known better than to get our hopes up about actually having a shop make some cams that have been proven on the dyno to make power.

im with you man. it seems like anything would be an improvement. btw, are these things that much of a pain to install? you guys are talking about 12-14 hours labor. i was thinking more along the lines of 6. what all is involved?

and 00SVTdubs, i believe most of those on this forum know how to drive. im comfortable with my +-475 hp, and now i want more. :beer:

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
I agree with learning how to drive before spending money on the "flavor of the month" mod like cams seem to be.

Franco, have you dialed in your current combo, or do you just want to keep throwing money at the car and raising horsepower?

Do you want the car to be COMPLETELY useless on the street?

We should all try to mod the car, little at a time, and try to get as much out of it as we can, THEN when we are SATISFIED, we move on.

Users who are viewing this thread