Any mountain bikers on the forums?

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Anyone else here mountain bike?

I live on the North Shore of BC, so I mountain bike a lot. I have a 1998 Rocky Mountain Soul, Cro-Moly frame, thing is almost bulletproof. It started out life as an intermediate cross country bike with Indy C long travel forks. I've set it up kind of how I like it. i have a 2.3 inch rear tire, the biggest that will fit in there, and I have swapped the front fork out for a 2002 Dirt Jumper II fork I got at a bike shop boxing day sale. The drivetrain is shitty, will soon be replaceing it all (Minus the rear derailer) for Race Face stuff (friend of the family is an engineer for them). I will also soon be replaceing the entire crank set for a splined setup, as I'm running the crappy old style square bracket. I'm running the original avid 2.0 V-brakes, but have been toying with the idea of getting discs. I need to explore and ride some, and find one that has good feedback as that's my gripe with discs. The rear derailler is the original 7 year old Shimano part. I'll hold onto that as long as I can, they don't make them like that anymoire the thing is practically bulletproof, they last a long time. I've had downhill riders look at it with envy :p Rims are Rhino Lite XC rims, powder black with black spokes, and a polished lip. They sort of remind me of FR500 rims!
The front tire is 2.6 inches. For the rear I have 2.3 inches but need to replace that tire quite soon, and I think I might go smaller, maybe 2.1 inches? Any suggestions on this guys?

Here are some photos:

PICT0224.gif

Me last august at RockRidge Canyon camp, just outside Princeton BC, riding a ho-hum camp bike.
wheelierockridge2004.jpg

bikinghardcoreRRC2004.jpg

Me in West Vancouver on the marine drive bluff, with lions gate bridge in the background:
bikemarinedrive.jpg

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
I used to bike fairly often until I graduated. I actually just brought my bike home last weekend from Michigan, its a dually Mongoose Pro. Starting next week I'm gonna check out the local trails, hopefully the Poconos have something to offer.

lex

I'm Canadian eh
Established Member
I don't own a super expensive bike, however I do love to mountain bike. The rockier the funner. Its a break from driving the Stang.

Phat_Albert

Established Member
I mountain bike quite often. I got a new bike last year its a devincy hucker, i love the thing real quality stuff. I dont have a pic of mine but its this.
Hucker-photo-A.jpg

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Mountain bikin is fun, but there is nothing like taking the Beach Bike down to Huntington Beach and just cruzin and checking out the sights."If you know what I mean" :coolman:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I used to swamp bike. We dont' have many mountains in florida...

The last bike I bought was a Kona with Shimano shifters. I haven't ridden that bike in like 3 years. I loved it. At the time it was one of the lightest mountain bikes. Frame weighed like 13 pounds, total weight of like 22?

I'm not sure if Kona is still around. I got it when I was in middle school (13yo) and that was 10 years ago. Even then it was like $1200.00.

I'd love to get out again but my fargin knee is soo bad. I miss swamp biking.

Matt

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I used to go ALOT. I have a specialized StumpJumper comp from 97'. It's an aluminum/ceramic composite frame with rock shox judy's on it, and all LX/XT hardware. It was a super light bike back in the day, but you can get a lighter bike now for alot less money that what I paid.

I generally rode about 40-50 miles every weekend until I lost my riding partner, then I just kind of petered out. I haven't been on the thing in a few years now, I even quit playing guitar once I went to school because I just didn't have the time for it anymore.

I'd love to get back into it, but I need someone to ride with. I still keep the bike clean and tuned even though I don't ride it....can't let it go to hell:).

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Oh, since we are talking about it...what's the fastest anyone has been on a mountain bike? I've come close to 60mph on a really really steep long hill(that is now redskins stadium) and that had to be one of the most frightning things I've done. I was to afraid to look back down at the speedo after 50+, and I ended up clearing the ravine at the bottom of the hill with momentum alone...

I do'nt think I'd be to anxious to do that again anytime soon either. And I've often wondered how accurate that bike speedo was at that speed....I just know it was a huge rush(especially given that I didn't bring my glasses with me and I couldn't see all that great....lol).

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm actually about to get into Mountain Biking.

Where I live they just opened a trailhead that leads to 15 miles of trailheads in the Las Virgenes Mountains down here in So Cal.

Ive been looking at bikes for the last week, I think I'm gonna grab me a Trek Fuel 80....

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
I was a x-country mtn bike racer for 10 years, I still ride about 100-150 mi. a week. Mostly on the road, even when I was racing most of my training was on the road. Cycling is a good break from not only cars but everything else as well.

Jamie.gif

Dave

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
wow guys neat! I rode downtown this weekend, on sunday, and rode all over doing stairsets and walls and stuff - there was a really steep set of sairs we found, was pretty tall decided to launch them - I realized as I was in midair that it was actually like 5 1/2-6 feet. Now on a Cro-Moly hardtail that was built in 98' as a cross-country bike, your wrists hurt on the landing. I didn't know it was that high but now I am hooked! I'm going bigger than ever and it definitley bumped my confidence! That was a 10 hour bikeride of pure urban (!!)

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
I ride but I do a mix of riding, I ride trails for a few miles and then I ride my bike for 25 miles or so every morning. Biking is awesome. I love it. I have an Iron Horse warriordisc with dual disc brakes and a polar water bottle (best water bottle ever), I use to try and do bmx and race kids down hills until I got a nine inch gash down to the bone on my shin and split open my ankle then I stopped doing that. I do bike though. I couldn't tell you how fast I have been though, but I was beating some cars down a hill when the speed limit was 35 so I think I have been in the 40mph range and that's when I got in the accident that I somewhat explained above, since then I don't try to race people or go that fast.

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
City riding can be a blast......last summer me and two of my buddy's took our mtn bikes into Boston and screwed around town all night. We stopped at a few of the local pubs then decided to do the UCI parking garaged world downhill championship :idea: :lol1: it was a lot of fun! and a little on the dangerous side :-D

Dave

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Davesnake said:
City riding can be a blast......last summer me and two of my buddy's took our mtn bikes into Boston and screwed around town all night. We stopped at a few of the local pubs then decided to do the UCI parking garaged world downhill championship :idea: :lol1: it was a lot of fun! and a little on the dangerous side :-D

Dave
bahaha sweet!

the fastest I've gone on a bike was about 70 mph (114 km/h is what the speedo said) on my dad's softtail down a very long and very steep hill - and it scared me shitless - i was wearing full downhill gear.

On my mountain bike, dunno but I'm guessing maybe 40-50? same route as on the roadbike. Thing is on a bike with a bal 2.3inch rear and a 2.6 inch front you only get so much speed before you ca't go any faster because of the rolling resistance. Now, put a set of extremely skinny tires on.....

Users who are viewing this thread