Any metal detector users in here?

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Thinking of picking one up! With all the battlefields around here and old history! I see them on Craigslist like crazy! I have 0 clue about them and or what brands or how to do it, but I will do some dd on here and YouTube!

oldmodman

Established Member
I borrowed a top of the line White (but 15 years old) detector from a friend to try.

I went out in front of a friend's condo at the beach in Hermosa and wandered around with it for about an hour.

Didn't find a chest of buried treasure. But I did find a ring of keys, a decent pocket knife that was pretty rusty, a half a bucks worth of change, and a really old destroyed Sony Walkman.

I went out after a big storm with lots of wave action to see what had been dug up and thrown up onto the beach. I always hope I will find a WW2 marine mine washed up on the beach.

And when I put my ear against it I can hear it ticking.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I borrowed a top of the line White (but 15 years old) detector from a friend to try.

I went out in front of a friend's condo at the beach in Hermosa and wandered around with it for about an hour.

Didn't find a chest of buried treasure. But I did find a ring of keys, a decent pocket knife that was pretty rusty, a half a bucks worth of change, and a really old destroyed Sony Walkman.

I went out after a big storm with lots of wave action to see what had been dug up and thrown up onto the beach. I always hope I will find a WW2 marine mine washed up on the beach.

And when I put my ear against it I can hear it ticking.

I just want to find old 1850-1870 seated dimes. Coins like that.

The odds of finding treasure actual treasure is .0000000001%

But all the history and battlefields and war trails I think I might find a lot of lead
Maybe rings? Couple coins

Blackness03

Established Member
I have some old .50 cal shells that are stamped 42 or 43 (have to look) that were found in a field in SC near where they use to do some sort of shooting practice in airplanes. Pretty cool stuff

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Thinking of picking one up! With all the battlefields around here and old history! I see them on Craigslist like crazy! I have 0 clue about them and or what brands or how to do it, but I will do some dd on here and YouTube!

Start out with one that's affordable to you (recommend getting a used one first). Then go hunting a few times to see if it's something you actually like doing. That way, if you find out it's not your cup of tea (which many realize), you're not out too much scratch. It's the same philosophy with pretty much every hobby.

Also, check with your local laws. Some jurisdictions don't allow metal-detecting, especially in recognized battlefield areas (can be a felony in some jurisdictions).

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Start out with one that's affordable to you (recommend getting a used one first). Then go hunting a few times to see if it's something you actually like doing. That way, if you find out it's not your cup of tea (which many realize), you're not out too much scratch. It's the same philosophy with pretty much every hobby.

Also, check with your local laws. Some jurisdictions don't allow metal-detecting, especially in recognized battlefield areas (can be a felony in some jurisdictions).

I was reading about va and they said battlefields are a no go.. But if your area is in places battles were at (mine is) you can do it on your property. My whole area has a ton of history

Users who are viewing this thread