Any Mercedes Owners?

StangD281

Established Member
Do you drive your RWD vehicles in the snow? 4MATIC owners need not reply ;-)

If by chance anyone has a CLK 430 / CLK 500, how does it do during the winter months?

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by StangD281
I am really glad I read your response. It has made a great impact on my decision. Thank you.

Glad I could help.
But seriously, a guy in our NJ office has had two S-classes, and he swears by them. We also have a friend in Germany w/a diesel E-class wagon, and he says it's great too in the snow and for towing. I think the MBs have a really good traction control system which is probably what makes the difference in the snow.

WannaB Cobra

Established Member
If the Benz has a traction control such as the BMW's DSC then you will be fine. I suggest snow tires. All winter last winter in NJ I drove the stang excpet the one snow storm the car was burried for 3 days in SI. But anyway I know the BMW's are ok in snow, the DSC helps a lot and so does a set of snow tires. Sorry not familiar with Benz I worked for BMW for 3 years. Good luck. Get the damn BENZ :beer:

nj7703

Established Member
My best friends inlaws have the CLK 430 coupe. She said with the trac on and a set of blizzaks it was ok up to about 5 inches of snow. They made the mistake of only getting the rear ones done at 1st, and stopping was not good. They live on a hill and again, not good, it was not bad on the highway, plowed roads, not as good as FWD when it got deep or hilly.

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
My best friends inlaws have the CLK 430 coupe. She said with the trac on and a set of blizzaks it was ok up to about 5 inches of snow. They made the mistake of only getting the rear ones done at 1st, and stopping was not good. They live on a hill and again, not good, it was not bad on the highway, plowed roads, not as good as FWD when it got deep or hilly.
What I wanted to know! :thumbsup:

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
What I wanted to know! :thumbsup:

BTW.. i'm jealous if you do get it, it is a beauty. I just called him again, he said the motherinlaw drove it and said it was ok, so maybe if the old man drove it, he may like it more, or have a better opinion. She is not real fond of snow. I think hills are the major problem no matter what you drive.

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
BTW.. i'm jealous if you do get it, it is a beauty. I just called him again, he said the motherinlaw drove it and said it was ok, so maybe if the old man drove it, he may like it more, or have a better opinion. She is not real fond of snow. I think hills are the major problem no matter what you drive.
Yes, hills are my concern. I live & travel in a relatively flat area, but with some occasional slopes. Nothing like Mt. McKinley or anything.....but just enough to make you uneasy if the weather is slick.

The owners of them that I know don't drive them in the winter due to owning an SUV as well.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Danny, I have owned two MB's. Neither one 4Matics. They do suck in the snow even with the traction control. The key was putting 200# of weight in the trunk. I used 4 - 60 pounds of sand and it always made a huge difference.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by darkcrayz
serious fordsvtfan? One would think mb would have good traction control.

For quick starts on dry or wet pavement, IMO the traction control is pretty good.

Long Road

Established Member
well, the lowly C series that we had a few years ago didn't come with any sort of limited slip so if you happened to have some snow or ice under one of the back tires you would have to get out and push... really a drag. ask if they have a limited slip option... probably standard by now.

:beer:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by snail50
For quick starts on dry or wet pavement, IMO the traction control is pretty good.

Ding Ding Ding, Ben is the winner. But not so good in the snow. The weight in the trunk is the best for that.

Users who are viewing this thread