any medical technologists here?

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
I know there are a few members here that are in the medical community and I need some advice. Ive been going to a community college since 09, got my associates in liberal arts in '11 and have been taking a few classes this year with the intent to transfer them to the 4 year school in town.

Here's my issue, Most of the credits I took this year were going towards a BS in Athletic training (sports medicine) and from researching and all that good stuff it doesn't seem worth it to get into this field, (however I have thought about going to graduate school to get my physical therapy degree and im only 2 years from getting that degree) and the amount of $ this school im transferring to costs I'd rather look for work that seems interesting enough and will likely get me a job when I graduate. The school offers a medical technology program.

If you are in that line of work can you give any advice? hows the work environment? advancement opportunity? Pay? (will have at least $30k of debt even after only two years of school at this college). And changing my major to that program would set me back probably a year and 2012 school year would almost be a waste.

I think my problem is that I keep changing my mind about what I want to do post-college, for the longest time I always wanted to join the military but decided to give college a try and this college Im transferring to has an ROTC program which I am really considering. But would majoring in Athletic training or Medical technology be worth it even if I end up in the military?

Long read I know but Im stressing like crazy over all of this and need any help from people in the know about this stuff. Thanks for taking soo long to read.

falke401

Established Member
I dont know much about the medical community, but the military is looking more for people with a BS instead of a BA these days.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
that's good since either major would end up with a B.S. degree plus my associates is an A.S degree

KurtDog

Established Member
You should consider becoming an x-ray tech. The entry barrier is not that high and pays decent along with good career opportunity's.

forbanger

Established Member
Physical Therapist is great professions. One of my best friends has been one for 15yrs. Says it is very rewarding. I'm sure the pay isn't bad either since his wife stays home and he still has toys.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
what about nursing...

I was a nursing major a few semesters ago but decided it really wasn't for me. I'd rather do physical therapy and help people get some mobility and heal from injuries/surgery/old age than other nursing duties even if the pay is pretty good. I have classes with a lot of nursing students and in my opinion 75% shouldn't be nurses due to poor grades or lack of compassion, most people just do it for job opportunity/ $. That kind of why I chose that major but seeing what some nurses have to put up with I don't think Id really enjoy doing it for a lengthy amount of time.

Id love to do physical therapy but Im looking at other options too, I know athletic training would just be a stepping stone to get into grad school but medical technology would allow me to have a certification to get work after my BS degree just in case I couldn't get into grad school or I change my mind ect.

However, back to military subject, I'd love to join the military knowing full well i'd probably do one enlistment/term and get out but if I dont transfer or stop going to school all my science credits wouldn't be valid after 5 years and have to retake a lot of classes so Id rather try to finish the degree as soon as possible. Plus if I go military route I can try to commission which is what everyone recommends. Im just stressed out over my future is all, been trying to figure everything out the past 4 years now and I keep looking at different options, and I just don't want to go and finish school and have massive amount of debt and zero job opportunities. I should follow my passions/desires such as military or sports medicine but I also have to be realistic here especially in this day and age economy

velocicaur

Established Member
Keep your options open. I would make sure to take the biology, chemistry, and physics courses required for other programs as well. You never know what you may stumble on. There is dental school, podiatry, Physician's assistant, Medical school, chiropractics, optometry, veterinary, anesthesiologist assistant, physical therapy, pharmacy, etc.... All requiring bachelor's degrees with similar prerequisite courses.

As far as a med tech, that isn't worth a whole lot. If anything, it will provide you some experience and give you time to think over graduate options.

Oceanside78

Established Member
Commission, do 6 years in the medical field, have the Army pay the loans back, and you'll get out as a Captain with no debt and 6 yrs of military background and have made pretty good money. Military has a LOT of perks besides steady pay and benefits. There's a lot of perks to being a vet. Hope that helps

Dragu1a

Established Member
what about nursing...

The career paths in nursing is ridiculous. You can basically go into any field you want.

Physical Therapist is great professions. One of my best friends has been one for 15yrs. Says it is very rewarding. I'm sure the pay isn't bad either since his wife stays home and he still has toys.

Physical Therapist has become a doctorate in Ohio. Great career if you want to put in the time.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I am currently 27 credits shy from a double major in Bio and Kin. Im taking the non certified route to apply into a PT school as soon as im finished. I suggest you go and take look at the school you want to apply and check their requirements. Some require some chemistry while others do not.

With the non certified route you can still take the certification exam if you are interested in coaching and stuff like that. Meet with an advisor at the 4 year college and ask about entering a pt program. They will point you in the rigth direction.

Here in Tx you need a masters to become a pt but migth as well go all the way. You can also look into OT as its bsically the same requirememts.
Sent with my over sized Johnson

Last edited:

snakedoctor

Established Member
I started the same way as you, in athletic training but like you said the money isn't good. I ended up going the X-ray route. Plain X-ray is over saturated right now so it's hard to get a job. The upside is that if you get your foot in the door and cross train then the pay and opportunities go up from there. I have only been out of school 4 years and have gone from doing X-rays and making 15.00/ hour to adding cat scans and mri to my abilities and now I'm making right at 50,000/ year. I love my job doing mri. I work monday through friday 8 hour shifts straight days, no call, no weekends, no holidays, and no emergency room bs because mri's are an elective procedure.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
well I already have biology finished, anatomy&physiology finished and im going to try to take chemistry in the spring so Ill have all the prereqs. done for any health major. If i went the physical therapy route I would need the doctorate since thats the only degree given in my state anymore. If I can though Ill see about getting into ROTC at my college once my schedule and everything is taken care of after the transfer.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
if your interested in the medical field and can deal with HIGH pressure situations, you should consider becomming an Anesthesiologist.
awesome pay and work at your own pace. just have to be damn good at medicinal knowledge!!!

Dragu1a

Established Member
if your interested in the medical field and can deal with HIGH pressure situations, you should consider becomming an Anesthesiologist.
awesome pay and work at your own pace. just have to be damn good at medicinal knowledge!!!

You make it sound like all he has to do is apply for a job. That's an insanely competitive field to even get accepted into school, let alone complete and pass medical boards. Might as well have told him, "consider becoming a neurosurgeon, good pay". Haha

Defknotzero

Established Member
You make it sound like all he has to do is apply for a job. That's an insanely competitive field to even get accepted into school, let alone complete and pass medical boards. Might as well have told him, "consider becoming a neurosurgeon, good pay". Haha

this

Defknotzero

Established Member
I started the same way as you, in athletic training but like you said the money isn't good. I ended up going the X-ray route. Plain X-ray is over saturated right now so it's hard to get a job. The upside is that if you get your foot in the door and cross train then the pay and opportunities go up from there. I have only been out of school 4 years and have gone from doing X-rays and making 15.00/ hour to adding cat scans and mri to my abilities and now I'm making right at 50,000/ year. I love my job doing mri..

x1000.

Over here, x-ray tech's (depending on hospital) make 21.00+ starting. Then if you add in the CT or MRI, or any other type, it will go up. It is a great field to be in. I enjoy my job as well.

Users who are viewing this thread