Any Lightning swapped SN's around?

Oceanside78

Established Member
I'm really looking at this swap. I did a search and came up with a lot of old threads, nothing nearly current. I have an 02 Harley Davidson F150 and think this motor in something 2000+lbs lighter and way less rotating mass would be seriously fun. The TQ this thing makes (I'm at nearly 500ft/lb on 4# pulley intake/exhaust) would be a seriously fun street car

I know there's good clearance issues, but I'm thinking spacing the K-member and a rear entrance whipple might just fight under a 4" cowl. The top entrance eaton alone adds 3-4"s on top

Regardless, anyone do the swap and still around? Would love to hear your pros/cons

Note: yes, I know a termi swap is "better" but I'm looking at this for the rarity and fun factor. I just think it'd be a cool swap

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
They only redline at like 5300, if i remember correctly from my old lightning that i had.

You'd also need to rebuild your motor if you want to run that whipple, the stock L/HD motors have pretty weak rods/pistons. Also, you're going to need a pretty strong trans to handle all that torque.

You're also going to need a new fuel system, to handle the power.

Expensive swap, in my opinion

Oceanside78

Established Member
They only redline at like 5300, if i remember correctly from my old lightning that i had.

You'd also need to rebuild your motor if you want to run that whipple, the stock L/HD motors have pretty weak rods/pistons. Also, you're going to need a pretty strong trans to handle all that torque.

You're also going to need a new fuel system, to handle the power.

Expensive swap, in my opinion

They can be spun higher, mines been bumped to 5600, but I don't need to spin it high IMO, I make nearly 500ft/lb around 2800-3k rpm. Tuning these have gotten a lot better, there's a lot of high 400whp guys on whipples and stock blocks nowadays. From what I've read the rods are obviously weak but they're also powering a 5500lb truck (my HD atleast) and when kicking down gears it's too stressful. The guys on LR say in a much lighter vehicle it won't be AS much of an issue, and should be able to make 500/600 safely, stock block, which is really all I want. T56 strong enough? (Honest question) and the stock fuel system in the Ls support 650, so would two factory lightning pumps with the injectors and rails suffice? Not trying to cut corners, but it will be budget conscience.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
They can be spun higher, mines been bumped to 5600, but I don't need to spin it high IMO, I make nearly 500ft/lb around 2800-3k rpm. Tuning these have gotten a lot better, there's a lot of high 400whp guys on whipples and stock blocks nowadays. From what I've read the rods are obviously weak but they're also powering a 5500lb truck (my HD atleast) and when kicking down gears it's too stressful. The guys on LR say in a much lighter vehicle it won't be AS much of an issue, and should be able to make 500/600 safely, stock block, which is really all I want. T56 strong enough? (Honest question) and the stock fuel system in the Ls support 650, so would two factory lightning pumps with the injectors and rails suffice? Not trying to cut corners, but it will be budget conscience.

I'm not too sure that stock 10 spline input shaft, in that T56, will like the 600 rwtrq from that motor haha. But that does make sense though, lighter car, easier on the internals.

Would the Lightning pumps fit into the stock mustang fuel tank? What about Lethal's budget return-style kit? That's only like $900 or so dollars before the forum discount. My suggestion would be to not skimp out on your fuel system

Oceanside78

Established Member
I believe so, I see them as "upgrades" for the cobra guys "twin lightning pumps" they're 155 each so they're pretty stout stock. And yeah, I'd strengthen the weak points prior to install of the swap (rods/pistons) just wanted to see if there was a "walk through" or someone who'd done it that made a build thread. This swap REALLY intrigues me

Users who are viewing this thread