Any LEO or anyone that might have an answer...

machslammer

Established Member
My question is.. I was washing my car the other day and noticed that my blue paint on the license plate had came off all my letters... Can I paint them back any color I want or do I have to use blue or black..ect? Thanks.. In tennessee if that matters. Thanks.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
In North Carolina (the state next to yours that keeps the ocean from washing your mountains) you may NOT paint, alter, modify, (touch taste or look crossly at) the state issued liscence plate.

If it becomes an issue where the plate can no longer be easily read, you may turn it in and be issued another one.

How old is this plate in question, or have the budget cuts really affected Tn?

machslammer

Established Member
lol! No when I was power spraying the car yesterday the paint on the letters were swept away! It is only like 4 months old. I taped it off and resprayed it with a similar blue color. I think it will be ok but who knows.

jshen

Established Member
I believe that is reflective paint isn't it? I would call your DMV and see if you need to replace tag..I gave a quick [ ok, very quick ]search for TN and didn't find an applicable code section...

Floridalawdog

Established Member
I would think you could get a new tag. I dont think painting it is a good option. It wouldnt be reflective. It is also illegal to alter a license plate. Just take it to DMV and replace it.

machslammer

Established Member
Ok called and talked to the state about this. I taped it off and repainted it but the paint and stuff looks like crap, but it is still visible. They told me that I would have to repay the 35 bucks and then whatever extra when it comes in for the use of this plate for x months. It is not my fault the stickers they use on the raised letters are crap and come off in the wash. Grrr...money money money..think I am gonna change what it reads anyways. Later

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
machslammer said:
It is not my fault the stickers they use on the raised letters are crap and come off in the wash.

Tennesse puts reflective "Stickers" on the raised parts of tha plate? wow, kinda reminds me of a few years ago when DC ran out of money and just kept issuing paper plates for two years.

35 bucks is cheap to keep you legal, though I agree, you shouldn't have hurt the plate by pressure washing it. Next time, leave the dead bugs alone. :beer:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I'd say if you are going to put high pressure spray on your plate, maybe you could look at getting a clear cover for it.

Users who are viewing this thread