ANY ideas on what's coming for 2012 GT500??

brainpa

Established Member
We all know the 11 GT500 will be a much lighter, more powerful ride.

In my job, I have the opportunity to interact with many people from all aspects of the corporate world. Recently I met a multi-car dealership owner, of which a Ford one was included. I immediately struck up a conversation about the 11 GT500 and he said, well, save your money for the 12. He was unable to provide details, naturally, because of signing a no- disclosure agreement, but he is on an advisory board for Ford in some capacity.

SO....I was naturally wondering, does anyone have any [concrete] ideas????

Me, I'm thinking an aluminum 5.4 TT, as one of Ford's goal is to be primarily eco-boosted in a few years throughout the entire line of cars.

hunterp

Established Member
If I had to speculate, I'd guess Ford is planning on a version of the new 5.0 engine. Still supercharged, with lower compression.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id like to see SVT come back into the picture, and like they did in 2003 with the first factory supercharged mustang, produce the first modern factory turbocharged mustang (since the SVO's).

though the 5.4L motor is stout and proven, i dont see any reason to ditch it for a 5.0 that they have to re-engineer to handle boost. I could also see them removing the current plant in lieu of a 6.2L all motor powerplant boasting 500hp na, but i doubt thatll happen.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Me, I'm thinking an aluminum 5.4 TT, as one of Ford's goal is to be primarily eco-boosted in a few years throughout the entire line of cars.

I don't think that would happen. Too much R+D in an engine that's going by the wayside.

I'm not gonna lie though. That would be nice. :beer:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
id like to see SVT come back into the picture, and like they did in 2003 with the first factory supercharged mustang, produce the first modern factory turbocharged mustang (since the SVO's).

Methinks you are the Nostradamus of SVTP :beer:

But not until 2014 though. (waits for RyTrappo's response lol)

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I forgot who posted the info, but supposedly there wasn't enough room to stuff a 5.0L Coyote ecoboost TT motor under the hood of a Mustang.

The TVS blower as posted above would be something a lot more realistic to expect, or maybe some derivative of the 5.0L Coyote motor or 6.2l?

It's kind of hard to believe Ford is going to give the 2012 GT500 another change, that would be the 3rd year in a row the GT500 would have been altered.

2010 - New body, suspension changes, intake from the KR

2011 - Newer suspension and aluminum block

2012 - ??

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I forgot who posted the info, but supposedly there wasn't enough room to stuff a 5.0L Coyote ecoboost TT motor under the hood of a Mustang.

The TVS blower as posted above would be something a lot more realistic to expect, or maybe some derivative of the 5.0L Coyote motor or 6.2l?

It's kind of hard to believe Ford is going to give the 2012 GT500 another change, that would be the 3rd year in a row the GT500 would have been altered.

2010 - New body, suspension changes, intake from the KR

2011 - Newer suspension and aluminum block

2012 - ??

Theres always room.......

we know there are people putting twins on 4.6/5.4L cars, and the block footprint of one of those is larger than the new 5.0 iirc. Maybe the engineers just need to look at how that works, make it work for an oem application and go from there.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I guarantee it won't be twin turbo..

I highly doubt it will be 5.0 or 6.2 Derived..

I'd put money down that the next mods for the Shelby will be better cams and at most a TVS blower...

But MOST likely, it will remain untouched in the engine compartment now that it will have an aluminum 550 Horse 5.4..

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
As mentioned, they've already updated the GT500 the last 2 years in a row. I wouldn't look for them to change much for 2012 MY. The TVS blower is a very feasible avenue as it would be a relatively simple transition. My personal opinion, is that we would more likely see the TVS blower as an option, based on the way they handle the SVT Performance Pack.

Thinking out loud here, but maybe they'll treat the 2012 GT500 the way they have handled the GT the last few years. The Bullitt suspension was a nice upgrade, then it was basically standard on 2010 GT's. In 2010, the Track Pack was a nice upgrade; now it's basically standard for 2011 GT. Perhaps the 2011 SVT Performance Pack will be standard on the 2012 GT500, therefore leaving the TVS blower as a GREAT addition for the 2012 SVT Performance Pack??? I just really think in some way, shape, or form, the TVS blower is the next logical step especially with the Z/28 due in a year or so.

I wouldn't look for a Coyote or any engine other than the S/C 32V 5.4 at least through the life cycle of the current S197 chassis. I'd say it's safe to bet that the engineers have already turned the page from the Coyote motor and are concentrating resources on the 2014 chassis.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
2012 will be a mild refinement on the 2011.

I wouldn't expect an entirely new power train until 2014 when the entire mustang line gets redesigned for the 50th anniversary.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
When I was up north (Wisconsin) for a cruise last year. a Member of a SVTOA club who had John Chlor come and speak at there club meeting. He told everyone if they are thinking of buying a 10 or 11 to hold off as the 2012 will be awesome.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
How much does the 5.4 motor weigh?
Maybe a King Cobra will be released w/ the 4.0L Whipple on it! lol

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
i dont see any reason to ditch it for a 5.0 that they have to re-engineer to handle boost.

Ford doesn't need to re-engineer the Coyote, all they need to do is throw in a better rotating assembly. Read the March issue of 5.0 magazine, Ford engineers all but came right out and said for us to expect a FI Coyote. You think they're going to put that in a regular old GT? No, they're going to put it in a halo car (GT500/Mustang Cobra).

Users who are viewing this thread