Any idea what these are? Plates welded in trunk

LByellowStang

Established Member
I noticed these before I bought the car but think much into it. Now I am selling it and the last person who checked it out was wondering what they were so it got me wondering. Car is a 2001 Cobra coupe with factory IRS. Your thoughts?

Plates(1).jpg

Plates(2).jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that where the rear mounting points are for the IRS?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

shurur

Established Member
I think those plates are too far back for the IRS mounting points. The reinforcement brackets are around the wheel-well, aft of the shock towers.

One of the welds is ~ where a battery relocation would go.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Maybe those plates are just simply for weight in the rear. I'm probably shooting in the dark, but never know. Maybe even to help get traction in inclamite weather conditions.

mike.b

Established Member
I think those plates are too far back for the IRS mounting points. The reinforcement brackets are around the wheel-well, aft of the shock towers.

One of the welds is ~ where a battery relocation would go.

one for battery mounting and the other for n2o maybe? i don't think it has anything to do with the IRS.

zPipes

Established Member
Maybe someone was looking for easy access to the fuel pump and cut the wrong side at first?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Strange, I wonder what purpose they served.

Paint is pretty scratched up in front of them too...

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Looks like someone followed the 4th gen f body trick to cut a hole for fuel pump access. They cut the wrong side and went to the other one.

CJK440

Established Member
You silly New Edge Cobra guys with your factory OE IRS install. Both those plates are directly above the frame rail where the rear IRS brackets mount. I just double checked my 97's trunk floor where I cut with a hole saw so I could install washers and nuts on the bracket bolts.

Why yours look like somebody capped them later? Dunno. :shrug:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
You silly New Edge Cobra guys with your factory OE IRS install. Both those plates are directly above the frame rail where the rear IRS brackets mount. I just double checked my 97's trunk floor where I cut with a hole saw so I could install washers and nuts on the bracket bolts.

Why yours look like somebody capped them later? Dunno. :shrug:

Maybe that's it but I'd think they could've used thinner gauge steel plate.

I have the Mathis brackets on my race car and they are a solid mounting point for the IRS brackets to the frame rails. Those plates don't anchor anything to the interior sheet metal.

What about underneath the plates up under the car? Anything out of the ordinary?

Users who are viewing this thread