Any guys/gals in the USAF?

LightningLou

Established Member
I'm highly considering joining and have been meeting with a recruiter lately. Just wondering if any members here were or still are part of the US air force. What do you think of it? I'd like to start out as an Avionics Tech. and finish up my degrees, become an officer, and possibly a fighter pilot in the future. Let me know what you think. Thanks. -Lou

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I loved it... did my time, got out, and now I am a civilian contractor. I was a heavy equipment (vehicle) mechanic.

LightningLou

Established Member
How hard was it to get a job once you got out? What base were you at and how'dd you like it? Just trying to plan for my future a bit. Thanks for the reply man. I love ure sig btw.

Last edited:

matchb0x

I'm a grown ass man!
Established Member
Back in the states aka 'the land of liberals'
i was an electrical/environmental tech. and i have a week of terminal leave left and than im done forever. avionics is the way to go if you are gonna go aircraft btw. e/e doesnt directly translate to civilian sector unfortunately. you will have a crap tone of study material as avionics but in the end you will learn a lot of have a huge number of jobs waiting on ya.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
How hard was it to get a job once you got out? What base were you at and how'dd you like it? Just trying to plan for my future a bit. Thanks for the reply man. I love ure sig btw.

I did most of my time at Dover AFB, most people dont like it but my dad retired there and i was lucky enough to get back there. I deployed to Oman and Kuwait while I was there, then did my year in Kunsan Korea. Korea was teh last place before i got out.

It wasn't hard to find a job in the states, i just couldnt find one that payed well. Just about every place i inverviewed with liked seeing military service on my resume.

The best two things I took from the gov were my security clearance and GI Bill.

oh and mike k, holy crap your sig bro. i was in a trance for like 5 mins before i snapped out of it lol.

Yeah, i know! Somebody had it in their sig on another site, i was doing the same thing :beer:

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
im balls deep into my 2nd enlistment. its been good times for the majority of the time. and my bills get paid:shrug:. but officer route is the way to go.

Dead01L

Established Member
Just don't take the job I have and you golden for however you long you stay in. And pray you don't get stuck on Army bases...we all get treated like dirt.

LightningLou

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have Meps on Wednesday and that sounds like a lot of fun... lol. Also, did you guys bring your cars to the bases or not? I'm thinking of putting my Lightning in storage or something until I get out and just buying a beater near the base since I'm afraid the truck would only get beat up out on a base but I'd miss it like hell if it weren't there lol. If I don't become a pilot with the AF I'm going to try to possibly get a job at someplace like Lockheed Martin since the Avionics position would be very useful there. Any more advice?? Thanks again.

Last edited:

MarcTheNarc

Noobra
Established Member
I did 4 years as an avionic sensors tech. Now I'm civil service doing pretty much the same thing I was doing while active duty. I got credit for my active duty time as well, so I'm listed as having worked here for 5 years even though I only started a year ago.

Working for a contractor like Lock-Mart has its ups and downs, just like any other jobs. Personally, I'm glad I'm civil service and not a contractor right now. Good jobs are too hard to come by today and I like having the job security that a contractor can't always offer.

As for the car thing, it depends on where you're stationed. My first and only duty station was just outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. I had been driving my 240sx but didn't take it up there with me (lightweight RWD + ice, no thanks). Instead I bought a 4wd vehicle and left the 240 with my old man. There were quite a few RWD cars up there, including 3 Cobras that I knew about, but the season for that kind of vehicle is VERY short. Most bases have a lemon lot where you can usually pick up a beater for next to nothing. I picked up an '85 Nissan Pulsar for a couple hundred bucks that got me through 3 winters up there. Sold it to a buddy of mine when I left and he's still driving it.

Anyways, if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I just passed my 18 year mark in May. I am currently deployed, and in about 6 months I will be moving to Geilerkirchen, Germany. I have had the experience of living all over the world, and have had lots of fun in the process. Plenty of job opportunities out there after getting out, and the GI bill is a good deal. Right now the AF pays 100% of your tutition for active duty, so you won't even need to touch your GI bill until you get out.

1993R

Established Member
A buddy of mine is a meteorologist in the AF based in Cocoa Beach at Patrick AFB. He lives on a yacht at the Yacht Club. He has done his 20 but just re-upped for another 3 because he likes his job so much.

Users who are viewing this thread