Any good TV replacement boxes out there?

o2k

Noob
Established Member
I'm really getting tired of paying time warner all this money for TV that I barely watch. I just want to get rid of my tv service. I'll watch some cable channels and cnn sometimes. Are there any internet tv boxes out there like Roku and similar that will do free live tv streaming? (as well as hulu, etc)

Thanks in advance,

Al

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I just use my 360.

Ive cut the cable cord since April. Don't miss it at all.

I just torrent the recent stuff onto my PC and stream it to the 360 through a media server like serviio.

jcthorne

Established Member
You might take a look at a Tivo with an OTA antenna. It does a pretty good job of handleing both tv channels and internet content along with content you DL off the net. Does Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and others.

We dropped Comcast TV service several years ago and its worked out very well.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
No need for torrents, hulu, netflix or any of that crap. Google XBMC and buy the box you like best to run it. I have minix neo X7 that I run mine from. It's an Android mini pc and is very similar to an Android phone. Mines a quad core with 2 gigs of ram, bluetooth, multiple usb ports, 16 gig hard drive, etc for like 120 bucks.

Cool part is all the Android apps work on it. I have emulators for all the old systems and all the games on it too. Can play all the classic games right on your big screen with wireless xbox or ps3 remotes or wired remotes with usb adapters.

Last edited:

o2k

Noob
Established Member
Thanks for the info.. I can't really do an xbox.. Which I have.. Since I need Something my father can use Too.. Or even if I have other family over. I was looking at the roku 3.. Which seems to be a good alternative since I can add private channels. I haven't heard of the neo x7.. I may have to look into that as well..

KurtDog

Established Member
Like JC said, get an OTA antenna. They are like 10 bucks and you get all the local channels in hd.

That plus hulu or apple tv and you are set.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Thanks for the info.. I can't really do an xbox.. Which I have.. Since I need Something my father can use Too.. Or even if I have other family over. I was looking at the roku 3.. Which seems to be a good alternative since I can add private channels. I haven't heard of the neo x7.. I may have to look into that as well..

I bought a 360 with a dead disc drive for $50 and gave it to my parents.

They ****ing love using it to watch movies and netflix/prime on it. My sister downloads torrents to her pc and then dad goes in every once in a while and sees them and has a blastee.

Both the xbox and ps3 interfaces are cake for old fogies to be able to see and browse content in.

texaswrx

Established Member

I have the Roku 3, although I have not totally cut the ties to cable (Uverse).
There are several private channels out there (hit and miss), and plenty of other content. I use it for Netflix and Amazon prime mostly. There are a few private channels (Justintv) that I use to watch auto racing (overseas content). Hope this helps. Set up and use is easy also.

Users who are viewing this thread