Any fan / intercooler pump mods?

Brands5.0

Established Member
Being from Florida id like to be able to cool my car down as fast as I can. I am not really good at figuring electrical stuff out but what would be in evolved in being able to have the fan come on when the engine is off. Also does any one know if the intercooler pump and the fan can run the same way to help the car cool off.

Is there a T-stat in the intercooler?

Brandon

SlowSVT

Established Member
The intercooler has absolutly nothing to do with cooling the engine. No thermostat in the intercooler system either.

Why would you want the fan to come on after the engine is shut off? That would only cool the water in the radiator since the water pump is not cirulating it through the engine. The engine does not get hotter after you shut it down. I will heat soak where the heat from the hotter sections of the engine propagate to the cooler sections from the lack of coolant circulating through the engine.

I have not heard of any cooling issues with the GT500. Unless your over heating I don't think you have to worry about the cooling system

Your looking at all the wrong approaches in aiding the engine cooling. The first place I would look is a bigger radiator which I'm not sure if one is available or if it's even needed.

Greg@RET

Established Member
The stock radiator is pretty big, so I wouldnt worry about that.

100_3973.gif

TAHOE GT

Established Member
I did that write-up before I saw the little switches that Evolution installed in their interior light panel. (No clue what post it was in, but they had 3 or 4 switches for various things, incl. the fan.) I might change my switch to that location someday. The switch doesn't carry a significant load, so event the smallest (micro) switch will work. It's only providing an alternative ground instead of the ground in the PCM.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Here's a thought: BMW uses a water pump to circulate the coolant (for cabin heat) after the engine is turned off. You could use a similar pump to circulate coolant through the rad after the engine was shut down and put a thermostat on it to keep it from running continuously. I'd plumb into the heater supply line so the engine thermostat wouldn't close and block coolant flow.

SlowSVT

Established Member
TAHOE GT said:
Here's a thought: BMW uses a water pump to circulate the coolant (for cabin heat) after the engine is turned off. You could use a similar pump to circulate coolant through the rad after the engine was shut down and put a thermostat on it to keep it from running continuously. I'd plumb into the heater supply line so the engine thermostat wouldn't close and block coolant flow.

What benefit will this provide:shrug:

Engine wear is minimized between 180 and 200 degrees. Cooling down the engine quickly between starts means it will have to warm up again evertime you park the car for a short period.

This accomplishes nothing.

Brands5.0

Established Member
After a few runs at the track/dyno these cars drop alot of power if you have a high power fan thats the best. But when at the track i dont have a fan . I want to be able to cool the car off as fast as i car. turning the fan on and intercooler pump on will pull alot of heat out of the car in between runs

TAHOE GT,
Thanks for the write up thats what i was looking for. Is this set up still working for you

MD03SVT

Established Member
Using a meziere waterpump would be the best idea as it would allow the coolant to circulate between rounds which would result in better ET's I do not know if they offer one for our 5.4L yet but have used them on my 4.6L.

Greg@RET

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Does the new GT500 use the same peesocrap Bosch pump as the Cobra/Lightning?

The pump looks identical as the 03/04 Cobra and L pump. The connection is also the same. The part #'s are different. Heres the funny thing..... the Shelby pump and bracket is only $55 from Tousley Ford. So if you are looking for a pump better jump on it before Ford finds out :-D

100_4126.gif

TAHOE GT

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
What benefit will this provide:shrug:

Engine wear is minimized between 180 and 200 degrees. Cooling down the engine quickly between starts means it will have to warm up again evertime you park the car for a short period.

This accomplishes nothing.
What it accomplishes is cooling your engine in the pit lanes. I don't let the fan/pump run when driving on a daily basis, only when at the track. (Not a place that I usually concern myself with engine wear.) I agree that there is no benefit for DD use. Besides, with a tune the fan is running full-timed anyway.

Greg 1320' : I must have missed it? Wich one jumps the intercooler pump?
Looks like I left that out - Blue/Yellow is the pump wire. You can see it with the wire tap around it in one of the photos.

MD03SVT: Using a meziere waterpump would be the best idea as it would allow the coolant to circulate between rounds which would result in better ET's I do not know if they offer one for our 5.4L yet but have used them on my 4.6L.

Same pump for the 4.6/5.4/6.0 L engines. These cars don't have any trouble keeping cool, though. The electric pump may only help if the t-stat is open, but with all of those coolant hoses on the front of the motor, some will obviously bypass the t-stat.

Brands5.0: Thanks for the write up thats what i was looking for. Is this set up still working for you?

I used it last night at the track. I found, that if there is a long line to the burnout box, I had to start and stop the engine, as 5 min of idling heated the motor back to full operating temps. That cost me 3.5 mph.

Greg@RET

Established Member
This one?

PICT1297copy.jpg

If the wire is in that relay box then it should be like the 03/04 Cobra to jump it? Pull the relay and jump the wires.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Yes, that one. You could jump it, but that won't get you a switch. If you did install a switch, all of the current going to the pump will go through the switch. That means the switch is hot (12v) and you'll have to install another switch for the fan. By grounding the relays for the fan and the pump you'll be able to use one switch and carry very low current.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
blah foo. its not so much the pump i dont like, but the mag-drive on the pump that tends to stick. the same mag drive housing is visible in your pic.

maybe i'll have a pull a 'farm truck cliff' and use a marine bilge pump or something.

Greg 1320' said:
The pump looks identical as the 03/04 Cobra and L pump. The connection is also the same. The part #'s are different. Heres the funny thing..... the Shelby pump and bracket is only $55 from Tousley Ford. So if you are looking for a pump better jump on it before Ford finds out :-D

100_4126.gif

Greg@RET

Established Member
I agree, I see lots of Cobras/L's that have issues with the pump. Mainly the electrical connection lose contact.... for $55 its a easy fix :loser:

Greg@RET

Established Member
Heres a couple pics of the shelby intercooler pump...
100_4141.gif

100_4142.gif

I know most Shelby owners wouldnt do it, but heres my intercooler tank.
100_4146.gif

100_4143.gif

I am also using a Afco heat exchanger. I will get pics of it later, I need to weld the brackets on the heat exchanger still.

Users who are viewing this thread