Any experience with DSS modular short blocks?

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I killed the #2 piston in my Cobra and I'm looking for a new shortblock. DSS Racing shows a "Super MODular" 5.0L stroker using a new aluminum block for $5500 or a 4.6L with aluminum block for $4900 on their website. Anyone know what blocks they're using? Is anyone on this site running a DSS modular motor? I've heard good things about DSS and their prices seem very reasonable. I'm also looking for a quick turnaround time. Any information or opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

GodStang

Established Member
My buddy used them and was not happy with them thats why I went with VT. Alot of people say DSS had a couple of bad engines out a while back but fixed it and now everything is good. Most people that have dealt with them like them.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. You said your buddy wasn't happy with DSS. What didn't he like? Did they take forever to build his motor? Did it not live up to their claims?

I'm just looking for something that will take a lot of power and still be somewhat reliable, but I don't have a pile of money to work with (the VT engines seem really expensive). We're going to pull the motor on Sunday and see what she looks like. If the damage isn't that extensive, I may just upgrade the pistons/rings and have some minor machine work done and use the rest of the money for a Whipple and a set of cams. My original thinking was to go with an aftermarket short block so that I could save my original motor. Now, with the plans I have in store for this car, it might not matter much if I destroy the original block anyway.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I went VT and I am glad I did! BTW, got a SB if you want to buy it to throw in all the good parts, then you could still keep your stocker!

SynMan5.0

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
VT. Just remember you get what you pay for....

While I agree that is true most of the time, it's not true all of the time. I'm just affraid that some people get brainwashed into spending more than they need to around here because of that attitude (quality = $$$$$$). VT's prices just seem kind of high to me for using a customer-supplied core. Part of my reasoning behind going with a new block was to shave some weight (aluminum) and keep my original motor for collectibility. Now, if I go putting a cage in the car, collectibility isn't going to be a concern anyway, but I could always save the original motor as a back-up. Those were just some of my thoughts.

Now, I haven't called anywhere looking for prices or details yet. I've only searched around on the internet, so don't anyone jump down my throat on my comment about VT engines. If DSS is using a junk block as a base for their $5500 complete stroker, then no, it wouldn't be worth it. But they do seem to have a good reputation among the 5.0 crowd and it looks like they use good components.

I'm just trying to weigh my options because I only have $8500 for this project and I was planning on doing a lot of other work with that money. I need a better clutch (standard Dual Frictions just aren't cuttin it), I would like to upgrade my fuel rails, fuel line, and injectors, and I was planning on doing Bassani mid-lengths and catalytic x-pipe. Add in a 7 qt. oil pan, windage tray, the cooling mod, a throttle body, and some other odds and ends, and I don't have very much left to work with.

Now maybe you can see where I'm coming from. I'm definitely not the kind of person to cheap out on something like this, but I want to make sure I'm not getting shafted at the same time. Unlike some people on here, $8500 is a LOT of money to me. I just want to make sure that my cash is well spent. :beer:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
sambandit said:
I went VT and I am glad I did! BTW, got a SB if you want to buy it to throw in all the good parts, then you could still keep your stocker!

Hey Scott. I'm assuming it's a used block. How much would you want for it?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, outta my car. A little scoring, but that's no surprise....lol It would perfect for someone that would want to take it apart, go .020 over and then put some good pistons in there. Looking to get $1200...... It's a complete SB.....

SynMan5.0

Established Member
sambandit said:
Yep, outta my car. A little scoring, but that's no surprise....lol It would perfect for someone that would want to take it apart, go .020 over and then put some good pistons in there. Looking to get $1200...... It's a complete SB.....

I may go that route. Is the crank and everything still salvagable? What did you do, just hurt some pistons? I'll let you know soon if I want it.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Oh yeah, crank, rods and such are perfect. Just some scoring in the cylinders, number 7 being the worst. Did'nt even hurt a piston, they still look great. Actually ended up having a head problem that I though was the bottom end. I wouldn't put this block back into the car without working on it, but it is a great place to start....

Users who are viewing this thread