Any English gurus want to proof read my paper?

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
I had to write a personal experience paper for English due tomorrow and I thought, what better thing to write about than my recent motorcycle accident? I know it's not setup well yet, but I put it in MLA style for the draft. What do you guys think? Opinions welcome. BTW, my professor LOVES imagery. lol

Here we go...

Sunday Morning Tragedy

The clouds stood still against the azure morning sky. Motionless as a painted canvas

through the tinted visor covering the oblong portal. The silence was tranquilizing. A brief moment

of serenity preceded trepidation as blood began to trickle down the plastic shield in front of my

eyes. The evanescent silence became deafening. The once cerulean sky was washed with

crimson and an ominous chill ran through my limp body. "There's no pain," I thought as I lay,

confused, in the soft grass. This fettle was short-lived.

As I walked out to my beautiful, jet-black, 2006 Yamaha R1 that cool Sunday morning, my

attention was trained only on the beautiful weather. A pleasant change from the rain and cold that

had been plaguing riders for the past two weeks. "Finally," I uttered quietly in delight. I clad

myself in helmet, gloves, and leather riding jacket and headed to our typical rendezvous. I was

second to last to show and the others were anxious to leave. They had been waiting for some time so I

chose not to ungear. My wait was brief and we set out with only a direction decided upon. North.

Minutes turned to hours as we rode, seemingly aimless, through curves and sunshine.

The troubles of the previous day a distant memory. The span of your attention given wholly to the

bike in front of you and the ground beneath you. The hum of the powerful engine a consolatory

companion. So easy to get lost in daydreams and forget yourself despite the magnitude of power

and speed you're so unmindfully wielding. What could transcend this moment?

The roads began to grow more serpentine. What was once smooth like a frozen lake, became

rough and perilous. Potholes and patches littered the lanes as if the trails had gone unkempt for

ages. My former enthusiasm for the ride turned to apprehension as it seemed each bend held greater

liability. Never had I wished myself more wide of the mark. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat

as we approached a left sweeper. Upon exit the butterflies subsided only to return tenfold in view

of a hard right ahead in the distance. I slowly untwisted the throttle that had been of little concern to

me earlier that morning. All but one of the other bikes passed me up as if not troubled in the slightest

by the obstacle ahead. Was my tremulousness unfounded? Had I miscalculated the forthcoming risk?

As I leaned in and lowered my torso, it happened.

It seemed as though every aspect of control I believed I had was stripped from my hands in an

instant as my front tire plunged deep into a crater in the pavement. The bike bucked like an unbroken

horse and sent me barreling toward the ditch. My mind raced. How to react? There was nothing I could do.

As I left the roadway, I followed my instincts and let my body go limp. As I passed through the ditch my

bike left me and I seemed to float peacefully for a moment, only to be rudely greeted by a seemingly unmovable

object. The telephone pole stood alone in every direction for what seemed like a mile. How misfortunate I

had been to lose it at that particular spot. The wooden goliath won the battle and I could only be told

what happened upon impact.

And so I awoke to the frozen sky, still in shock and unsure of what just took place. I was still

attempting to regain my bearings as the blood began to run down my helmet visor. In my altered state of

consciousness, a brief confusion preceeded and abrupt panic. Where was this blood coming from?! It took

but a moment to realize that the stream of red was running down the outside. I dragged myself to a seated

position as my heart began to pound ferociously. My veins now flowed pure adrenaline. I began to remove my

lid as Eric, the lone rider that had remained behind me, said in a fluster, "Don't take off your helmet! You're

bleeding from the head!" "No I'm not. It's coming from my hand," I reassured him after I pulled it off and looking

down noticed my torn open glove.

Inside the aperture, suffused with blood, muscle and sinew was combined with dirt and grass. Just

seeing it made it start to throb with hurt. I pulled the glove off and for the first time felt the cool

morning breeze rush into the wound and the pain soared to new levels. As my hand gushed, I began to grow cold.

The chill that had come and gone had now become a permanent resident. As I sat with Eric, weak, on the side of

the road, fatigue clutched me like a giant's hand. I wanted to shut my eyes and rest. I relaxed my muscles to

lay down when the other riders arrived at my side. As I continued to recline I was halted by a hand on my back.

My friend Justin held me up as another rider held his own removed shirt tightly atop my lacerated hand. By this

point I had lost such a substantial ammount of blood, I found it extremely difficult to maintain consciousness as

the once colorful scenery began to fade to a pale silverish-white.

The sirens in the distance were welcome sounds as I shivered on the shoulder. I was ready to lay down.

I felt like I had been awake for a year. I needed to close my eyes. The paramedics strapped me tightly to the

stretcher, and I was once again gazing at the sky. Though it had lost all its color, it seemed to have remained

unchanged. The seemingly picturesque clouds were replaced by a low ceiling with a small round light in the center.

The inside of the ambulance smelled familiar. I had been here before. The trip to the hospital, though only nine

miles, seemed to take an eternity. My condition greatly improved from fluids in route, I began cracking jokes

with the emergency room nurses and finally my friends were allowed to come in and see me. My hand was, for the

most part, repaired and I was ready to leave. The doctors had done their part. Now it was my turn.

As I exited the hospital I saw a truck in the parking lot with my mangled motorcycle in the bed. It was

a sobering realization more melancholic than anything I had ever seen. As I sat in the car on the return home,

all I could do was picture my beautiful bike turned scrapmetal. What was once a marvel of mechanical design, was

now nothing more than a heap of plastic and aluminum. I had a difficult time falling asleep that night. It was as

if something was left undone or unsaid. I lay for hours, still. What could I have done differently? I played the

"what if" game with myself for a while then decided it was a waste of time. I couldn't change what had already

occurred and thinking about it wasn't alleviating the pain.

Finally, after hours of pondering, I figured out what was keeping me awake. As soon as I said it, I drifted

off into a much needed slumber. "I will ride again."

Last edited:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Excellent read..
No guru but i will bump this for you. :thumbsup:

silverstang23

Established Member
There's no pain," I thought as I layed,
confused, in the soft grass.

The hum of the powerful engine a consolatory
companion.(This needs some punctuation work, I think)

What was once smooth, like a frozen lake, became
rough and perilous (I hate reading to much to make it past this part in your story)

I'm not an english guru but hopefully I offered some valid help. You use I to start almost every sentence. Might want to work on that

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
There's no pain," I thought as I layed,
confused, in the soft grass.

Though appearing a mixing of tenses, "lay" was the correct term in the context of the story.

In my altered state of consciousness, a brief confusion preceeded an (not and) abrupt panic.

Inside the aperture, suffused with blood, muscle and sinew was combined with dirt and grass. Just seeing it made it start to throb with hurt.

You may want to reword this part...maybe say throb with pain, or just leave it at throb.

My condition greatly improved from fluids in route, I began cracking jokes with the emergency room nurses and finally my friends were allowed to come in and see me. My hand was, for the most part, repaired and I was ready to leave.

I had to read this sentence twice, as it's unclear that you actually arrived at the hospital. Maybe change the first part to read "By the time I arrived at the ER my condition had greatly improved from fluids received in route, and I began..."

Also, between the first and second paragraph you may want to include some kind of flashback intro..."Earlier that morning, as I walked out to my beautiful..." The abrupt jump backwards threw me and I had to stop and reread parts to figure out what happened; you don't want anything interrupting the flow of reading for your audience.

Grammatically, it's fine, so I'll give you a critique of the style. It's well written, but the overuse of adjectives in the first paragraph doesn't match the second, and seems to come and go throughout, and it's kind of distracting. I know that you're trying to express the surrealism of the occasion, but to me it reads like you just looked up simple words into a thesaurus (Blue = azure, cerulean, etc). This combined with the short sentences I feel detracts from the flow of your essay. You may want to consider toning down the verbage a bit, you're utilizing two vastly differing methods of writing in the verbosity of a Gothic novel combined with the stark simplicity of a 20th century American novel. I feel that your story is better told using the latter literary devices: short sentences, minimal wording, repetitive words. I want to feel what you felt when reading a personal essay, and I find it hard to believe that as you lay bleeding on the ground, you were thinking to yourself man, the sky is really cerulean today! Does that make sense? I'm not trying to bash you, it really was well written, especially considering the kind of stuff you usually see on this site. :beer:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Minutes turned to hours as we rode, seemingly aimless, through curves and sunshine.

Too late now but think it should have been "Aimlessly"-Adverb for rode?

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Firstly thank you to everyone who read through and commented. Here are a few points I wanted to address...

Too late now but think it should have been "Aimlessly"-Adverb for rode?

I used seemingly aimless because it was not aimless. We had a distinct direction, "north" therefore not technically aimless, but SEEMINGLY that way.

Though appearing a mixing of tenses, "lay" was the correct term in the context of the story.

You may want to reword this part...maybe say throb with pain, or just leave it at throb.

I had to read this sentence twice, as it's unclear that you actually arrived at the hospital. Maybe change the first part to read "By the time I arrived at the ER my condition had greatly improved from fluids received in route, and I began..."

Also, between the first and second paragraph you may want to include some kind of flashback intro..."Earlier that morning, as I walked out to my beautiful..." The abrupt jump backwards threw me and I had to stop and reread parts to figure out what happened; you don't want anything interrupting the flow of reading for your audience.

Grammatically, it's fine, so I'll give you a critique of the style. It's well written, but the overuse of adjectives in the first paragraph doesn't match the second, and seems to come and go throughout, and it's kind of distracting. I know that you're trying to express the surrealism of the occasion, but to me it reads like you just looked up simple words into a thesaurus (Blue = azure, cerulean, etc). This combined with the short sentences I feel detracts from the flow of your essay. You may want to consider toning down the verbage a bit, you're utilizing two vastly differing methods of writing in the verbosity of a Gothic novel combined with the stark simplicity of a 20th century American novel. I feel that your story is better told using the latter literary devices: short sentences, minimal wording, repetitive words. I want to feel what you felt when reading a personal essay, and I find it hard to believe that as you lay bleeding on the ground, you were thinking to yourself man, the sky is really cerulean today! Does that make sense? I'm not trying to bash you, it really was well written, especially considering the kind of stuff you usually see on this site. :beer:

Very helpful and these are the points I saw as questionable as well. You just confirmed them. You seem to know what youre talking about. Thank you for your input. This was just the rough draft and I do plan to revise with your points in mind.

And actually the looking at the sky part was true to life. The feeling I had when i woke up and other times during the story were true. I actually was looking at the clouds, I felt like I had just woken from a nap. No pain, no worry. Just lookin up. The rest was just imagery. I may reduce the imagery in some parts and beef it up a bit in others to try to even it out and I am going to add more description between the ambulance and the hospital release. I rushed it a bit because it was only supposed to be 2 1/2 pages and i noticed i was on about page 5 when i decided to start chopping. I left it that way with the intention of revision. Thank you again. I can PM you the final draft if you are interested before Tuesday.

03cobrah

Established Member
Firstly thank you to everyone who read through and commented. Here are a few points I wanted to address...

I used seemingly aimless because it was not aimless. We had a distinct direction, "north" therefore not technically aimless, but SEEMINGLY that way.

Very helpful and these are the points I saw as questionable as well. You just confirmed them. You seem to know what youre talking about. Thank you for your input. This was just the rough draft and I do plan to revise with your points in mind.

And actually the looking at the sky part was true to life. The feeling I had when i woke up and other times during the story were true. I actually was looking at the clouds, I felt like I had just woken from a nap. No pain, no worry. Just lookin up. The rest was just imagery. I may reduce the imagery in some parts and beef it up a bit in others to try to even it out and I am going to add more description between the ambulance and the hospital release. I rushed it a bit because it was only supposed to be 2 1/2 pages and i noticed i was on about page 5 when i decided to start chopping. I left it that way with the intention of revision. Thank you again. I can PM you the final draft if you are interested before Tuesday.
wouldn't mind a pm here too, it was a good read no guru here though

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
And actually the looking at the sky part was true to life.

That's understandable. My point was that the moment in which you open your eyes, before the shock hits, before the pain hits, would be a moment of pure clarity, and the description of such would be better written as simply as possible, not with the most obscure words you can come up with. I want to feel what you're writing on its most simple terms, not think to myself, WTF does fettle mean? Make sense? Something like...

The clouds stood motionless, as though painted, against the morning sky through the tint of my visor. The silence was tranquilizing. A brief moment of serenity enveloped me, broken by trepidation as blood began to trickle down the visor just inches from my eyes. The silence, once peaceful, became deafening. The painted sky was washed with crimson and an ominous chill ran through my limp body. "There's no pain," I thought as I lay, confused, on the soft grass. ....

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
wouldn't mind a pm here too, it was a good read no guru here though

will do :beer:

That's understandable. My point was that the moment in which you open your eyes, before the shock hits, before the pain hits, would be a moment of pure clarity, and the description of such would be better written as simply as possible, not with the most obscure words you can come up with. I want to feel what you're writing on its most simple terms, not think to myself, WTF does fettle mean? Make sense? Something like...

I feel ya. Ill let you read the final product after revision.

Users who are viewing this thread