Any Engineers out there?

94svtfang

EMT.Broke.Tired.Student
Established Member
Just wondering if any of you fine men and women are in the field of engineering. And if so, could you offer any tips to a first year engineering student? In the perspective of looking back on things.

"If I could go back to my first/second year of college I would have...."

Very general question, I'm just really trying to learn a thing or two..

Thanks for your input.

Condor21

Established Member
Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree. If I could go back I'd look into a co-op or internship before I graduated. Spend a little more time studying. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Satyr

Established Member
Step 1: Learn how to do research.

For example, before posting this thread, you could have navigated to the search function and looked for topics with "engineer" in them. You would find that there are 1) lots of engineers on these boards; and 2) many threads that have covered a similar question to what you've asked.

Though, to answer your question as generally as it's presented, study hard and graduate with a solid GPA and be sure to do a co-op/internship/whatever your school calls it. I can't really see any advice being too much more informative than that.

Good luck.

10splaya22

Established Member
I'm a Senior and graduating in 2 months. Definitely get a Co-op/internship no matter what. It helps tremendously. Also a good GPA is important as well. Many companies have a cutoff at 3.0.

One thing I wish I started doing earlier is working with a design team. I did Baja SAE as my senior design project. If I started my Freshman year I would definitely have a better GPA and would have more experience machining/welding. I'm not sure if your school has something like Formula or Baja though.

94svtfang

EMT.Broke.Tired.Student
Established Member
Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree. If I could go back I'd look into a co-op or internship before I graduated. Spend a little more time studying. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

I'm a Senior and graduating in 2 months. Definitely get a Co-op/internship no matter what. It helps tremendously. Also a good GPA is important as well. Many companies have a cutoff at 3.0.

One thing I wish I started doing earlier is working with a design team. I did Baja SAE as my senior design project. If I started my Freshman year I would definitely have a better GPA and would have more experience machining/welding. I'm not sure if your school has something like Formula or Baja though.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the "things to keep in mind".
Congrats playa lol, good luck with your job hunt.

Damn, I know I got lazy.:read: :bash: Thank you too for the great advice. Seems like it would be wise to look into internships early on.

Ill_W1N

Established Member

For example, before posting this thread, you could have navigated to the search function and looked for topics with "engineer" in them. You would find that there are 1) lots of engineers on these boards; and 2) many threads that have covered a similar question to what you've asked.

Though, to answer your question as generally as it's presented, study hard and graduate with a solid GPA and be sure to do a co-op/internship/whatever your school calls it. I can't really see any advice being too much more informative than that.

Good luck.

O god another one of you. "Use the search blah blah." Ever think he has a life and doesn't patrol the boards like you Mr 4k + posts? Get a life. Move onto the next thread.

Last edited:

91GT

Established Member
You will figure it out. Work hard and it will fall into place.

The biggest thing I have found in engineering is that almost everything is cool. I went in thinking I wanted to do something with cars or automotive (Mechanical eng). I ended up in the hydroelectricity industry. Very cool stuff. I have stood within 3 feet from a shaft transmitting 375,000 hp, etc. This way cars, motorcycles and stuff remains a hobby.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
...don't get stuck working a dead end job in a cubicle crunching numbers your whole life. It's all about connections. Also, take the FE as soon as possible in school, because up to a year of schooling can go towards your EIT 4 years of experience deal before you're able to take the PE. Also, unless you're going into strictly R&D, get real life field experience in the field you plan on being in. There's a big dif between book smarts & field smarts...just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it'll work in the real world. Engineering in college deals primarily with ideal conditions, you'll quickly realize almost everything in the real world isn't ideal......

mariosvt

Bazinga
Established Member
...don't get stuck working a dead end job in a cubicle crunching numbers your whole life. It's all about connections. Also, take the FE as soon as possible in school, because up to a year of schooling can go towards your EIT 4 years of experience deal before you're able to take the PE. Also, unless you're going into strictly R&D, get real life field experience in the field you plan on being in. There's a big dif between book smarts & field smarts...just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it'll work in the real world. Engineering in college deals primarily with ideal conditions, you'll quickly realize almost everything in the real world isn't ideal......

What does FE, EIT, and PE stand for?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
O god another one of you. "Use the search blah blah." Ever think he has a life and doesn't patrol the boards like you Mr 4k + posts? Get a life. Move onto the next thread.
his post count has nothing to do with it. the Gods are busy and we don't have time to help the helpless so we help those who help themselves. If you can't do a baisc search before asking a question with an obvious answer you should not expect the Gods of SVTP to do your work for you.

and someone that does not do their own research before asking a question with an obvious answer well nuf said mr. 352 posts

Planter

Banned
Just wondering if any of you fine men and women are in the field of engineering. And if so, could you offer any tips to a first year engineering student? In the perspective of looking back on things.

"If I could go back to my first/second year of college I would have...."

Very general question, I'm just really trying to learn a thing or two..

Thanks for your input.

Not an engineering student, but graduating with a BS in digital media and word of advice

1. Get your gen eds done and out of the way at the community college level. Your GPA will thank you and so will your wallet. Get all your Gen eds done and out of the way first. This gives you time to change your major if you choose without wasting time and money on other uneccesary classes.

Wish i had done that. University level work is no joke. The standards are higher, more is expected of you than at the community college level. Get the general stuff done in the easiest fashion. I got my ass kicked in algebra and pre-algebra, at the university level but i did make it and passed both. Just wasnt pretty and my gpa suffered.

Aside from that, not much to really say. Go to class, dont skip, keep the partying to a minimum. Study hard!

Live off campus, not in a dorm. Dorms suck. Craigslist will usually net you a decent roommate for $300 a month with utils or split utils. If you can, live at home w/ mom and dad.

Make sure you pick a minor that will compliment your major. Most universitys want you to be diverse and well rounded. I took art as a minor, with a focus on web design. Combined with digital media, it compliments very nice. So if you were an architectural major, an an art minor would compliment very nicely. Thats just an example.

Remember, 4 years is your sacrifice for the rest of your life. Go work for it and go earn it. :beer:

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
There's not much I'd do differently, except maybe party a little more in school. :banana:

Although I think looking back my only regret was not either picking up my AE degree while I was at it, or going for graduate school.

That said, I was the nose-to-the-grindstone type. Got a jump start on credits in high school, did honors, math minor, great GPA, top of the class, etc...

What I would say to that end is first and foremost, don't fall victim to the first year or two washout. Lots of guys take it easy, blow off homework and studying, and flunk out. In engineering you have to be on your A game all the time. Show up to class every day, do the homework (or as much as humanly possible) and study. That's the only way you'll make it.

Prioritization is also a big deal. Sometimes you just won't physically have enough time to do everything, especially if you load up on credits like I did. At that point you have to decide what work is going to get you the most points for your time.

Last, make friends in that department. Professors help as references, and students help with the work and studying.

And get a co-op or intern if possible. I know I only got a semester worth at a crappy company due to the wonderful recession, but do what you can. Hopefully it's improved since then.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
M.S. Computer Engineering

1) Make sure you enjoy the field.
2) Co-op
3) Work hard and do your best but don't worry too much about grades, worry more about learning. But you'll want at least a 3.5 to get the best interviews.
4) Co-op
5) Do as many hands on design classes and competitions you can.
6) Co-op
7) Extracurricular activities, not to stuff your resume, but because your only in college once (hopefully).
8) Co-op

That pretty much sums it up, as you can tell REAL experience trumps everything else.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I just graduated with a Civil degree last May. Definitely make plenty of friends within your discipline. That will not only help your social skills for later, but will also give you people to consult with about class notes, etc.

As said before, take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam as soon as you feel ready. You can take it every 6 months, but it can be a bitch to pass.

Other than that, just enjoy yourself and make the most out of college, but don't do stupid stuff. Just keep a good head on your shoulders and you're set.

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
What does FE, EIT, and PE stand for?

Fundementals of Engineering test to obtain Engineer In Training status for four years before you take your Professional Engineer test to obtain a Professional Engineer license/stamp/whatever.

I'm a mechanical designer. Wish I would have went for actual engineering. But it is what it is. I enjoy my job most of the time.

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Also, take the FE as soon as possible in school, because up to a year of schooling can go towards your EIT 4 years of experience deal before you're able to take the PE.

OP, check the requirements in your state before taking this advice into account, because the two states I've worked in, this is not the case.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
I can't think of much of anything I'd have done differently. I wasn't as successful in school as I wanted to be (3.0 on a 4.0 scale), but it wasn't from lack of effort.

It's a challenging field that takes hard work in school. The best pieces of advice I can give are:

1) Do your homework. And I don't mean do it just to check the box, and turn it in. Do it, and understand it, especially your first few semesters. Go see your professors and get as much help as you need to. If you don't understand the early stuff, it only gets harder and harder.

2) Go. To. Class. It sounds easy, but to do the opposite is even easier, and will cost you more than just your time in the long run.

If you do those two things, you'll be ahead of a lot of students.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I can't think of much of anything I'd have done differently. I wasn't as successful in school as I wanted to be (3.0 on a 4.0 scale), but it wasn't from lack of effort.

It's a challenging field that takes hard work in school. The best pieces of advice I can give are:

1) Do your homework. And I don't mean do it just to check the box, and turn it in. Do it, and understand it, especially your first few semesters. Go see your professors and get as much help as you need to. If you don't understand the early stuff, it only gets harder and harder.

2) Go. To. Class. It sounds easy, but to do the opposite is even easier, and will cost you more than just your time in the long run.

If you do those two things, you'll be ahead of a lot of students.
^ This +INFINITY

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
OP, check the requirements in your state before taking this advice into account, because the two states I've worked in, this is not the case.
I know the State of Texas allows for a Master's degree to be equivalent to 1 year of experience, and a PhD = 2 years.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member

I'll check. Either way for me, I'll still be able to take the PE at the same time if they count my schooling or not because I was working & going to school after I obtained my EIT status. I was told by someone from LAPELS (LA licensing) that up to a year of full-time schooling could go towards your 4 yrs under an engineer.

Did you have to take the PE for both states, or did it carry over after you got licensed in one state?

Users who are viewing this thread