Any EEC gurus in here?

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I saw somewhere that the 93 Cobra computer pulls timing and fuel at speeds over 95 mph. They said a quick fix for this was to unhook the speed sensor that goes into the tranny by the speedo cable. It claimed that it would not cause any problems because the 93 Cobra did not come with cruise. Any truth to this? Any one done this to their car and had adverse effects? Any help is appreciated. I might be able to squeeze a little lower ET out of my stock Cobra in the 1/4. :)

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The only adverse effects would be the fact your car wouldn't hold the high idle at speeds greater than 5mph. In other words, vacuum could drop so low that if you were slowing down, hit the clutch, and turned at the same time, your car could die. I ran like that for a while with mine, of course, my car idles at 1000rpm...

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I disagree....Get a Tweecer. That way if you ever mod the car you won't have to pay for a chip reburn!!!!!!!:beer:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by race495
or you could even simply swap in an A9L.

of course, then you would have to chip it to compensate for the 24# injectors or get a properly matched mass air meter...:shrug: :p

I vote twEECer, that's what I'm getting ready to do....

hotrodcobra

Established Member
I have a twEECer and like it. I do not think that it is necessary at your level, though. I used the stock 93 cobra computer for 9 years with out unhooking or unplugging anything. Dynoed 451 rwhp and made a number of 1/4 mile passes going through the traps at 122 mph. I always trapped higher than most similar combos with an A9L, so I never changed it.
If you are worried about it, then I recommend you put an A9L in it. But, I do not think you will see a significant increase in power or trap speeds.
A chip or twEECer would be a waste of money until you make more power. IMO.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Hotrodcobra makes some valid points that I had not thought about. Your car is basically stock at the moment, and you are looking for a little enhancement. Here is the decision you need to make: Are you planning on a lot of mods (cam, heads, power adder) in the future or are you going to leave the car pretty much as it is and do mild bolt ons such as gears, exhaust?

If mild bolt ons, then the best bang for the buck is probably going to be to chip it. You can get a 4 position Autologic from Byron at Racesystems.com for $330, he knows his stuff.

If future plans call for some major upgrades, then you will probably be better off going for the Tweecer RT. Cost is about $550, but it will pay for itself the first time you change your combo and you have to tune again.

I'm getting the Tweecer RT myself, not so much for power tuning, but for drivability tuning. The power tuning will hopefully come along with the drivability tuning. Wish I had gone for the Tweecer RT initially, but funds wouldn't permit me to do so at the time.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I think if I get something, I will go with the autologic chip. Although from reading hotrodcobra's post, I probably would not gain much at the strip. I do not plan any mods for my car in the future. I just like to maximize what the car can do in close to stock form. I think I will just take the money I was going to spend on the chip and get a set of 275/40/17 Nitto DRs :D

1qwkpny

Established Member
I havn't heard much on the tweecer or tweecer rt. but they have got to be better than the "eec tuner" that is a piece of sh3t. I spent just over 18mos and $700 plus on dyno time only to smash it with a 2.5lbs sledge, mail it back, and then just run my stock '93 cobra computer(dmp chip (8000rpm limit and a fix to the timing/fuel issues)), which resulted in about 19hp and over 30lbs of torque.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
[If future plans call for some major upgrades, then you will probably be better off going for the Tweecer RT. Cost is about $550, but it will pay for itself the first time you change your combo and you have to tune again.

I'm getting the Tweecer RT myself, not so much for power tuning, but for drivability tuning. The power tuning will hopefully come along with the drivability tuning. Wish I had gone for the Tweecer RT initially, but funds wouldn't permit me to do so at the time. [/B]

I agree. I wished the Tweecer R/T would have been available when I got my custom tuned Autologic chip. I would have saved about $50.

I spent $600 on a dyno tuned chip last year and $560 on a tweecer a few months ago.
Based off my experience I will never recommend a custom chip to anybody. It is a waste of money. Like Richard said going the chip route you have to change it after every mod which cost money. With a tweecer you only invest the money one time. And have WAY more adjustability.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Update:
Got my Tweecer R/T and laptop for a grand total of $520 (used)! Man, this thing is awesome. Haven't done too many tweecs yet, but the datalogging alone is almost worth it.

It took me 4-6 mos of combing the internet and ebay to find the deal I was looking for, but it was well worth the time and effort. During my search, I visited the Tweecer bulletin board regularly and printed out threads I thought applied to me. I took those prints and put them in a notebook and categorized them by content (probably 1"+ of paper, all double sided). I also downloaded files, utiltiies, etc and tried to familiarize myself with the interface, etc (kind of hard to do when I didn't have a PC to do, I'm Macintosh based).

Lee, I'm willing to share my Tweecs if you'll share yours. :D :D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Yeah Rich I'll send you my Autologic file off my chip that was burned last year.

About the only difference I could tell was that they bumped the part throttle spark adder a couple of degrees, removed the 1st speed limiter, and raised my idle speed up.

For now I have kept those same setting except I raised my idle speed up some more and now have it where it raises up the rpm when the a/c is on. (My car would never idle right when the a/c was on after the cam install)

The tweecer is awesome but the learning curve never ends:-D

Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you the file:thumbsup:

race495

Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
of course, then you would have to chip it to compensate for the 24# injectors or get a properly matched mass air meter...:shrug: :p

I vote twEECer, that's what I'm getting ready to do....

Yeah, I just figured if you went through the trouble to change the EEC you would want to get a better mass air meter.

For me, an A9L and a PMS work pretty good and I make well over 600 rwhp with A/C and power steering.

Users who are viewing this thread