Any Crossfitters?

94CobraPace

Established Member
Who here does Crossfit?
I've been doing Crossfit for 1.5 years, am a L1 trainer and part owner of a Crossfit box, Crossfit Torch.
I've lost 35 lbs and am in the best shape ever. My doctor told me I addd 10 years to my life, lowered my cholorstol from 222 to 146, BP came way down to 104/65. I can put 25 year olds on the ground. I've competed in a couple local competitions and did well in the last one that was age bracket, came in 5th out of 24.
It's hard, but the results are worth it. I enjoy doing Crossfit a lot.

chinchilla

Established Member
314x314px-LL-2f8f2271_crossfit.gif

Some of it is cool, some of it makes me cringe. I prefer bodybuilding/powerlifting training. However its great that you found a physical outlet that you enjoy and have made some great improvements, keep at it man

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Here. I decided not to do the kipping pull ups though. Strict or band for me. The new one I go to is really good. It's a very positive and professional environment. Huge gym too. The one I left was too crowded and not very well managed. One of the main coaches didn't understand it's a business arrangement and disrespecting clients is unacceptable. He got too comfortable and caused more than a couple folks to leave.

Often I would be discussing current events with other members and he'd interject his conspiracy theories in a militant manner. Liked to run his mouth to members too. Women have sensitive feelings.

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
It looks interesting as I have a long history of powerlifting (snatches, clean and jerk, push pull contests) but many say it is very expensive...like $150/month. My gym is kinda a meat head gym (205lb dumbells etc etc) and is $7/month lol. Hard to justify that big of a jump in price. How much is your gym?

And good work on getting healthy. Its always suprises people how much i enjoy the toruture lol of the gym and the feeling afterwards.

Krwy

Established Member
I did crossfit for about a year. It was really good, but goddamn it really doesn't need to be 150 a month for 5 days a week, thats retarded.

I started heavy lifting again, and I like it since I learned OLY lifting and can do that in the regular gym.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
OP is fa..... damnit! :lol:

Never tried it, mostly because I enjoy my joints being somewhat healthy. Some of the crap I see these people doing is nuts! (Not in a good way). I've been doing the typical lifting/cardio routine for some time now, and when I feel the need to up my endurance I just up the cardio and reps. I think the thing about crossfit that rubs me the wrong way is the complete lack of form, and typical instructors teaching folks that have prior not been active, how to do a lift in a few minutes.

That and as long as its $150/mo, they can go pound. Obvious fad is obvious!

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
great job getting in shape. i really like the high intensity interval training and you don't have to go as long. i try to mix it into to my lifting routine on one of my heavy cardio days.
can't stand seeing that kipping pullup sh*t though, i'm just like " 1, 1, 1, 1..."

Fuerza

Established Member
I've done it off and on for several years. I love doing it but now I have limited time and the gym I'm a member at is pretty far from the house. I love doing it, but I'm concerned with it getting watered down with incompetent instructors. I want to get my own level one certification just for personal knowledge.

If anyone does start make sure they research who their instructors are and go to the best. Especially if the gym focuses on strength training over conditioning.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
So we all know what kipping pullups are OP...why not just do it the right way? Is there a method to the madness in doing it that way?

I'd assume that a good majority couldn't do strict hanging pull ups and this is a way for them to build up that strength marginally. Although I think an assisted machine would be better.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
I'd assume that a good majority couldn't do strict hanging pull ups and this is a way for them to build up that strength marginally. Although I think an assisted machine would be better.

i felt they were more for exercising your core,atleast more so than your arms or back and keeping your heart rate up..

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
There is a method and purpose to kipping pull ups.

Please reference this article for the best explanation.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/32_05_Kipping_Pullup.pdf

Kips are easier than strict pullups yet the article says this..... "Strict pull-ups would likely reduce the fitness of CrossFitters if they were to supplant our kipping pull-ups." In my mind, there is a reason a thin female (for example like the one pictured in the article) can do numerous kips but prob not a single actual strict form pull up. Truthfully though I have never tried a kip so i cant actually account for its abilities or lack there of. Just like everyeone says it seems that when you "whip" your body and kick your legs its cheating. Its like benching 315 while bouncing the bar so hard of your chest its breaking bones...yet.... In competition you barely muster 250 with good, proper form.

My94GT

Established Member
ive dabbled in it but for the money id have to fork out to join a gym it isnt worth it, my work hours are too long and i miss most available classes at gyms local to me.

97snaketrplB

Ive done it. It's great for getting "in shape" or trimming down. Not great for packing on size or strength (typical crossfit programming anyway, anything can be modified). AMAZING for womens physiques.

Users who are viewing this thread