Any cons to a subwoofer in the trunk of a convertible?

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Is there any issues with a sub in the trunk with a vert? top up or down.. either way.. just want some extra sound. So if you guys have any pros and cons... feel free to list away.

01rowlandcobra

Established Member
I done it to an old v6 convertible I had in high school doesn't sound very good since the hydro pump is near the trunk and there's like two walls between the subs and the cabin so all I t amounted to was slit of rattling and a lot of bass u could hear a mile away outside of the car but not inside the car when the top was up also not to long after I did them my top started to leak at the back seems

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
^^^ Stories like this that make me leery of doing anything. Does anyone else have a similar situation happen or is it just unfortunate timing?

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
just get 2 pairs of components for the front n back. if thats not enough then you might be able to fit a small sub or 2 in/under front seats, but it would have to be done by someone familiar with that kind of install

BigEag205

Established Member
Buddy of mine had a 12" Alpine type X (?) in the trunk of his conv years ago in highschool. All besides the typical horrible rattle that is caused by the sub, it sounded good and could be heard well inside just sounds like asshole outside.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
there's like two walls between the subs and the cabin

What two walls? There are the seats, which the coupe has, too. Are you referring to that thin plastic/carpet trunk liner?

In my experience, there is nothing different in a convertible vs. a coupe with regards to running things into the trunk. With the top down, the acoustics change drastically. Beyond that, though, there's no issues that I've ever experienced.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Top up it sounds like any other car with a sub.

Top down you will lose some of the sound but you can still hear/feel the bass depending on the music. You can also hear the trunk rattle with the top down if you are at a stop light.(again depending on the music). Ive been running a 10 in my vert and I havent ran into any problems.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Top up it sounds like any other car with a sub.

Top down you will lose some of the sound but you can still hear/feel the bass depending on the music. You can also hear the trunk rattle with the top down if you are at a stop light.(again depending on the music). Ive been running a 10 in my vert and I havent ran into any problems.

:beer:

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I guess I have outgrown the bone rattling bass phase of my life.....just some higher quality speakers(Polks) and a new Alpine headunit and mine sounds excellent....crisp, clean, and plenty of bottom end punch, unless your thing is ghetto thump....but, for at least 10 years I always had 12s and monster amps, even in previous Cobra verts and it was solid as hell....and never made a roof leak......but face it, its a mustang, the roof is gonna leak at some point...that's just how they are designed.....

zPipes

Established Member
Found On Road Dead
Fixed Or Repaired Daily

wait, backwards? ok

Driver Returns On Foot

Yes man, you will need to fix shit on the car, don't let that stop you from doing little things like a subwoofer.

A sub wont really affect the hydraulic cylinders, which is what would be the first to leak. The seals in them are what go bad, causing leakage, and eventually tops that dont go up or down.

zPipes

Established Member
Oh, yes you can get a front ported box that will blow into the car. Here is an example. An elongated box, with a front facing subwoofer on one side, the port on the other side(pic doesnt have front facing port)

So seen in this pic, the sub would be on one side, then a space in the middle, then on the other would be a front facing port. The hydraulic pump is located in the midde of the trunk, where the empy wall of the sub box would be, so its not being directly hit by pressure.

subbox_zps92494742.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread