Any computer people, please read/help

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
All right, about two weeks ago, I downloaded an exe that turned out to be a virus(stupid me, I know.) But I think I've prettu much got rid of it.

But one thing that never did quit was, whenever I have my LAN cable in, a blue screen of death comes up and says that there's a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL. It says it's a stop message, and in NDIS.sys at the bottom of it. It runs fine on wireless internet(off somebody's network who I dont know yet), but after you plug the LAN cable in, bam.

So what I'm trying to say is, I need help. =( I looked for Drivers for it(its a RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

SteveChris

Established Member
you can usually get the drivers from the manufacturers website
if anyhting see if you have a restore point.
start->program files->accessories->system tools->system restore
you can make the system like it was before you ran the exe

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
SteveChris said:
you can usually get the drivers from the manufacturers website
if anyhting see if you have a restore point.
start->program files->accessories->system tools->system restore
you can make the system like it was before you ran the exe

Tried both, there's no drivers available and my system restore points were wiped too

Juruense

Banned
You could also just buy a newer ethernet card that has drivers more commonly available. They are not expensive.

6speed

Established Member
if it were me personally, just to be ABSOLUTELY sure, id back up what i needed to to a jump drive or whatever storage device you can, and run the windows install discs that came with the computer and wipe it completely clean deleting the partition and reinstalling windows and everything again

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
6speed said:
if it were me personally, just to be ABSOLUTELY sure, id back up what i needed to to a jump drive or whatever storage device you can, and run the windows install discs that came with the computer and wipe it completely clean deleting the partition and reinstalling windows and everything again

There was no CD's that came with the computer, I wish there were. It's an Acer, and Acer doesn't put install discs with their laptops

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Euphoric One said:
Where and why did you download and .exe that turned out to be a virus?

asta-killer.com and i was downloading a no-cd patch for something incase i lose it

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
JDStud6 said:
why not worry about that IF you lose it...or better yet, go ahead and make a backup copy of it?

JD

First being I have a habit of misplacing things. #2 being I dont have any blank CD/DVD's

KDog

Established Member
Just curious, are you running an anti-virus program that monitors the system - Norton Antivirus auto-protect, or McAfee? I'd be a little upset if they didn't catch it when you ran the executable.

Please don't turn this into a Product A is a better anti-virus then Product B thread - just curiousity on my part.

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
KDog said:
Just curious, are you running an anti-virus program that monitors the system - Norton Antivirus auto-protect, or McAfee? I'd be a little upset if they didn't catch it when you ran the executable.

Please don't turn this into a Product A is a better anti-virus then Product B thread - just curiousity on my part.

Norton, AVG and ZoneAlarm

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
iCEMANSGCCC said:
still doing it =(

Time for plan B: repair your windows installation. Assuming you are running XP...

1. Drop The Windows XP Disk into the CD Drive
  2. If you can't boot from the CD, enter the system BIOS and change the boot order. Put the CDROM first in the boot order. Tell us your BIOS version and I can help.
  3. Press any key once prompted to boot from the CDROM.
  4. Once the blue screen for Windows installation begins, follow the on-screen instructions.
  5. Do not perform the first repair option. Keep going like you're installing a fresh copy.
  6. Do not perform the second repair option. Keep going like you're installing a fresh copy.
  7. Once the "new installation" screen appears, let the Windows installer "detect existing installations" to complete a repair of Windows.
  8. Complete the "repair" by pressing 'R'. It's actually an upgrade, so after you install, you will want to reinstall Windows XP service pack 2 (if you upgraded from SP1 or XP standard). Don't worry. This won't lose any settings.

Be very careful completing this repair. You do not want to install a fresh copy of Windows over your old one; this will kill any of your desktop, favorites, and other settings.

Users who are viewing this thread