Any chance of an automatic GT350 in coming years?

Voltwings

Established Member
i have problems with autos for two reasons:

1. It takes the fun out of it. I enjoy pushing myself as a driver, be it in a straight line or around a track.
2. For straight line drivers all it is is just pushing the gas... your grandmother could drive the car as fast as you can, so what's there to be proud of?

I don't deny what an auto is capable of, i just don't like them. I wish magazines and manufacturers would stop focusing on the bottom line, on "all out performance," on this that or the other and just get back to good driving cars that are about the driver, not the magazine. Mazda miata for example, not the best car at any one thing, but one that people just love driving.

Para81

Established Member
i have problems with autos for two reasons:

1. It takes the fun out of it. I enjoy pushing myself as a driver, be it in a straight line or around a track.
2. For straight line drivers all it is is just pushing the gas... your grandmother could drive the car as fast as you can, so what's there to be proud of?

I don't deny what an auto is capable of, i just don't like them. I wish magazines and manufacturers would stop focusing on the bottom line, on "all out performance," on this that or the other and just get back to good driving cars that are about the driver, not the magazine. Mazda miata for example, not the best car at any one thing, but one that people just love driving.

A lot of people share your sentiments, GT3 enthusiasts were mostly livid when the new 991 GT3 came in PDK only. Notice the prices of the 997 GT3 Manuals?.....they've appreciated significantly since the 991 debut. Also look at used F430 prices - manual trans versions are going for twice the money (close to 200k) vs. the F1 versions which are hovering just above 100. Significant demand for the classic manuals from enthusiasts. Most now realize the faster paddle shifting is just not as fun to drive.

krt22

Established Member
Porsche just announced they plan to make some manual 911 "GT" cars...the p-car guys already talking about how much markup dealers will ask for those cars

blk02edge

Established Member
A lot of people share your sentiments, GT3 enthusiasts were mostly livid when the new 991 GT3 came in PDK only. Notice the prices of the 997 GT3 Manuals?.....they've appreciated significantly since the 991 debut. Also look at used F430 prices - manual trans versions are going for twice the money (close to 200k) vs. the F1 versions which are hovering just above 100. Significant demand for the classic manuals from enthusiasts. Most now realize the faster paddle shifting is just not as fun to drive.

To me autos/pdk/whatever else are for fake car people that only aim to show off.. There is absolutely no fun in them. I enjoy driving a 5speed ranger to a pdk Porsche and that's not even a lie

MadMoose

Established Member
I've owned manuals all my life over 4 mustangs including a Boss 302, fiesta st and focus st. My current M3 has the DCT in it and its phenomenal, and it's nice to not have an MT82 arbitrarily locking you out of third gear. I'm having just as much fun as driving a manual and I can pop it into auto mode when I'm feeling lazy. The ZF 8 speed auto is fantastic too. If Ford put something comparable to that in the Mustang I would seriously consider it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't know how soon, or if Ford will put an auto in one of the mustangs at all other than the non PP base models. Ford has really stuck to their guns about manuals only in their performance cars. The Focus ST, Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Mustang GT and ecoboost with PP, GT350(R) are all manual only. Ford doesn't even allow you to get a Mustang with the PP in an auto other than if it was one of the few 50th anniversary model cars. They have already shown they can give us an auto with PP, but refuse to do so. The only performance car that will have an auto is the Ford GT. But that is because they are looking for all out race car performance in that vehicle.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I am one who also thinks the next generation GT500 will have an automatic trans as an option. The Hellcat has set the precedent for automatic trans in Muscle/pony cars. I prefer manual trans in my Mustangs, but do have one Mustang with an auto trans. The auto trans just adds a new dimension to the Mustang. The auto trans Mustang creates a whole different type of a fun driving experience. It would be great if everyone could have the option of experiencing different driving experiences from a Mustang.
Oh, by the way I do not think Ford will offer an automatic behind the first generation GT350 FPC engine. Ford set out to make the GT350 for track days on road courses so drivers could enjoy shifting gears themselves.

Last edited:

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I would love to see the performance variant Mustangs have a DCT option.

Just curious, has anyone driven a DCT/DSG/PDK or similar style transmission on a track? I have, and for one can tell you I am a believer.

Most of us who track our cars are looking for ways to gain tenths of seconds on track, and the speed of the PDK is absolutely mind blowing. The 991 GT3 PDK Ive been in was such an enjoyable experience on track. The shifts on track felt just like a GT3 Cup car with the sequential trans (which I have also been in).

Some of those drivers who I am friends with who were/are owners of 997 GT3 that are heavily tracked, scoffed of the idea of a automatic GT3, and swore they'd never own an automatic sportscar, more less the benchmark Porsche track car. Guess what most of them are driving now on track? :)

Users who are viewing this thread