Any Business Owners Here?

03Saleen

Termin8
Established Member
If so, what kind of business are you in, how much money did it take to start and are you making a good amount of $$$ today? The reason I ask is, I'm entertaining the idea of starting my own.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Pizzeria/Restaurant here. Times have changed and starting a biz can be difficult and tricky now more than ever.

What are you looking to do? More info needed to give advice.

Ironhand

Banned
I got started about 5 month ago and you shouldn't do it unless your willing to commit to it or it wont turn into anything.

DefCon3

Established Member
Landscaping and lawn care. Started with a single powered reel-type mower which I got in exchange for getting it running and mowing a doctor's 1 acre lawn for a season. Worked and saved, started the company with $5,000 saved from my own work. Now have several crews which I keep busy.

03Saleen

Termin8
Established Member
Pizzeria/Restaurant here. Times have changed and starting a biz can be difficult and tricky now more than ever.

What are you looking to do? More info needed to give advice.

Honestly I really dont know haha, I want something with low overhead and high profitability. Thats why I'm asking to get ideas.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Honestly I really dont know haha, I want something with low overhead and high profitability. Thats why I'm asking to get ideas.

Lol. That doesnt exist anymore. It's not just the price of gas that's out of hand.

Do I make decent money, yes. Do I sometimes work for "free", yes. There have been times when at weeks end, the bills and employees get paid and there is nothing left. The price of my commodities ie: cheese, flour, dairy, fluctuate drastically throughout the year.

Make a business plan first. Make sure it's something that your heart will be in; to get any biz off the ground, it will need all of "you" in it.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I am in the process of starting my own business right now. Should be up and running in a month. Coming Soon... but the site is still under contruction as you can see. We didn't really have to spend too much upfront and to start off it will be more of a side job until we get a steady flow of customers.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I am in the process of starting my own business right now. Should be up and running in a month. Coming Soon... but the site is still under contruction as you can see. We didn't really have to spend too much upfront and to start off it will be more of a side job until we get a steady flow of customers.

Hmmm...very interested. Good luck.

canibus

Established Member
I'm in construction. been at it for a bit over a year. It's tough, like Pizz says, there's days that your employees make more than you. Forget about making money in your first few years, all your profit will go back into the business. Once you have all the machinery you need and material, you can then start seeing some money. I'm a tool guy, so as soon as I get some money, I buy tools. It get expensive really quick. I'm doing it all with nothing on credit. Credit in my opinion is a quick way to bankrupt a business. It's highly stressful but i'll admit it does have it's perks. Like having the freedom of taking days off as you please.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
We have had a couple small businesses over the years, I did learn that bigger is not always better.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I started and own a Broadcast Media Service co.
I served independent producers, shooters, TV shows and commercials with Cameras, grip, support, and post production equipment.
Best year, 600K. And I have slowly been selling off my most expensive gear since I am trying to retire.
I would not suggest getting into this business now. Technology has made it so cheap buy your own cameras, and edit on a laptop that there is mot much money to be made these days.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
Landscaping and lawn care. Started with a single powered reel-type mower which I got in exchange for getting it running and mowing a doctor's 1 acre lawn for a season. Worked and saved, started the company with $5,000 saved from my own work. Now have several crews which I keep busy.

I'm debating doing this.....pm me some lessons learned.

I already own a SCAG Cheetah, 4 gas weedeaters (need to get some echo ones) and about 15 chainsaws, 2 edgers, 4 push mowers, and a good sized trailer. right now the Cheetah only gets used about once every 2 weeks on my property, and only cuts about 4 acres (love that mower)

jrandy

Established Member
it will need all of "you" in it.

I think that this is one of the keys right here. I'm in the process of a second side business right now that I am truly putting all of myself into. My last business started that way, but ended with issues with my partner that could not be resolved. There was no way to stay in it and continue profitability and growth while not being totally "there" mentally.

Good luck with whatever you do :beer:

sixt5

Established Member
been powdercoating as a hobby for a while. been heavily advertising and wanting to go full bore. so far its working (knock on wood)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Have my own merchant accounts. Out of pocket startup about 12k by the time legal was done.

On paper I make good money but 40% of my profit goes into a reserve till it hits 2 million bucks.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Do I make decent money, yes. Do I sometimes work for "free", yes. There have been times when at weeks end, the bills and employees get paid and there is nothing left.

Make a business plan first. Make sure it's something that your heart will be in; to get any biz off the ground, it will need all of "you" in it.

Those statement really sums it up to be a business owner. I had a 76 service station lost our lease to some company bs now I am in the aquarium/saltwater tropical fish business....what a career change for me lol. When I first started my business there were no days off and I had to do 13-14 hour workdays and constantly putting money into the business. Even now with my business that has been established for more that 20 years...I have good time and bad times were there is no income at all.

Users who are viewing this thread