any bartenders on here?

jdlightning33

Established Member
i start bartending school tonight...just curious if theres any on here? if so where do u work and hows the money?

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
its hard to start out as a bartender because most restaurants hire from within and almost everyone there wants to be a bartender. But once you get the job and you get good nights like friday and saturday nights... there is some big bank to be made.

99cobra302

Established Member
its hard to start out as a bartender because most restaurants hire from within and almost everyone there wants to be a bartender. But once you get the job and you get good nights like friday and saturday nights... there is some big bank to be made.

while i agree, most of the people just want to bartend cause of the money...but he will have experience from going to bartending school, which will make it easier for him to get a job as a bartender right away.

i see you are from boston...if you get a job downtown, you will make some really good money.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
You will love the money. Try not to work at a chain restaurant though. I used to bartend at a bar downtown and made more than I do now bartending/serving at an Applebee's. It is hard to get a good bartending job around here unless you know someone in the service industry.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
A friend of mine i was overseas with does it down in Miami, he makes more than enough to live and raise his family down there just bartending. From my understanding as with anything your attitude and service quality is what makes or breaks your income.

jdlightning33

Established Member
im pretty excited...if i could land a job at a night club in boston i think id make bank.....but i dont have a pair of Ds or a nice ass so it mite be hard

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I'm not a bartender, but can tell you "from the other side of the bar", that the bartender with a good attitude, personality, and some hustle can make good tips. My wife and I go to a certain good restaurant at least once every week, and the bartender spots us coming in.... he has my Martini made just how I like it, ready at my table when I'm seated. He also makes recommendations for us to try something new and different. Little things like that make an enjoyable evening, and I always give him a good tip.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I'm not a bartender, but can tell you "from the other side of the bar", that the bartender with a good attitude, personality, and some hustle can make good tips. My wife and I go to a certain good restaurant at least once every week, and the bartender spots us coming in.... he has my Martini made just how I like it, ready at my table when I'm seated. He also makes recommendations for us to try something new and different. Little things like that make an enjoyable evening, and I always give him a good tip.

I have that same experience at a local bar, there is hardly anyone in there during the week and most of the weekends unless they decide to have a band, even when they do, we have a pool table waiting on us and a couple of beers, the cook and some bartenders come talk to us while we shoot. All for good times, always tip them well.

I always wanted to do the bartending thing, id like it since I like to make drinks that I know how to make

waydeg

Established Member
A friend of mine i was overseas with does it down in Miami, he makes more than enough to live and raise his family down there just bartending. From my understanding as with anything your attitude and service quality is what makes or breaks your income.

Spent most of my younger days as a bartender. I'd pull in $600-$800 per night on some weekends. Advice:
- Listen 3x as you talk - respect people's privacy
- Don't hit on women across the bar (it's not a spectator sport) - THEY will find YOU
- Develop 2-3 "specialties" you can call your own
- Learn how to make a killer martini
- Learn names - everyone likes to hear their name spoken - for those customers that may be 8-10 years your senior and above, it's Mr or Mrs/Miss
- Whatever uniform the establishment requires - make sure you are spit shined and polished - I hate seeing a bartender with a shirt that is stained or ragged
- While it may be more fun to work a college bar or nightclub, the money is in the nicer spots. Who (typically) tips more, a 22 year old college kid or a 35-55 year old executive? I drink an extra dirty Tito's (vodka) martini with two olives. If you charge me 7.00 and remember my name/drink - I'll throw you a ten and hope for a heavy hand on your next pour.

Lastly, try to find work at a nice place where other restaurant people hang out. Tips flow like water...

I'm sure they taught you most of this but just in case.

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member

same here a bunch of my buddies and myself included have a few local bars we attend and tip well due to the fact that the staff is nice to us and the bar tenders have our drinks ready befor we even have to ask. its the little things that make someone stand out from the crowd and keep people coming back. :beer:

musclefan21

Established Member
I am a certfied one (have a 4 year diploma for service & bar) and I hate it. I no longer serve or work as a bartender. money is decent but I cant stand the job.

Users who are viewing this thread