Any Bartenders Here?

divided

Established Member
I've been seriously considering dropping the $300 for bartender school (no experience) that offers job placement assistance for a little side cash while I'm 'between jobs'. Anyone a bartender? How do you like it? I know it's minimum wage + tips usually, but is it enough to get by on? Or more a side gig type thing?

99cobra302

Established Member
didnt you know that everyone on svtp is a ripped, multi-million dollar grossing male (or female) model that only dates other super hot models?

being a bar tender is way beneath us.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
good bartenders in a busy bar make bank... My girlfriend comes home with $400 in tips on a regular basis....

divided

Established Member
good bartenders in a busy bar make bank... My girlfriend comes home with $400 in tips on a regular basis....

Keyword. But yeah ive heard the money can be good depending on the job. I was looking at this San Diego Bartending School - Bartending Classes San Diego which seems cool because they help with finding a job. Most places I've seen require experience, and I work in I.T. (DBA) which couldn't be further away from bartending so I of course have none. Just really looking for a side gig, even full-time, that'll keep me above water until I find something permanent.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Keyword. But yeah ive heard the money can be good depending on the job. I was looking at this San Diego Bartending School - Bartending Classes San Diego which seems cool because they help with finding a job. Most places I've seen require experience, and I work in I.T. (DBA) which couldn't be further away from bartending so I of course have none. Just really looking for a side gig, even full-time, that'll keep me above water until I find something permanent.

She's attractive but doesn't flirt in any way whatsoever, pours strong drinks, and pours them quickly..

The bar she works at is about 50/50 m/f and the faster male bartenders make nearly as much as she does on a busy night.

divided

Established Member
Good to hear. Just assumed girls made much more than guys with all the losers out there hitting on them.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I hope you're a hot chick. In general, they suck as bartenders, but that seems to be the only ones they hire around here.

A guy I know is a bartender. He's worked at restaurants and makes pretty good money depending on shift. Sometimes he'll make $400 and sometimes he'll make $20. I do know that it's not an easy gig to get. Bartenders are pretty much the top of the food chain at most restaurants. I think a lot of places will make you start as a bar back.

divided

Established Member
That's my main reason for wanting to go to this particular school. They offer job assistance for their 'grads'. At least thats what the website says. I know if I just randomly applied id never get anything. Probably because I don't know anything about making drinks + no experience. $300 really isn't too bad if they can actually get me a job somewhere.

*edit

Also keep in mind I live in San Diego and there are tons and tons of bartending jobs around.

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
It's a good skill to have, so it's worth the $300, IMO.

Also, bartenders, waiters, etc typically don't make minimum wage. You'll make like $2-$3/hr plus tips, so you basically live and die by tips.

divided

Established Member
Totally understand the tip thing. But I don't understand the minimum wage thing? How can/do they pay less than minimum?

Well maybe I don't totally understand the tip thing. Are they usually pooled or do you get all of your own tips? Or does that vary place to place?

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
They are considered "tipped employees", so the tips plus wage must equal at least the minimum wage. If you fall short, the employer is required to make up the difference. So, you actually do make minimum wage, but not in the classic sense.

Edit: I believe this varies state to state, so you may want to check to see what it is in Cali.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Check that. I poked around and apparently that is not true in Cali. You make minimum + tips.

divided

Established Member
Gotcha. The way I see it is it's the best easy job I can get quickly with the most potential. Certainly better than working for meanal pay doing something else without the option of making much more from tips. It's definitely not something I plan on making a living with, just something to give me more time to focus on getting a good job in my career field. It's rough out there right now. I've submitted close to 300 resumes over the last month and haven't found anything. That's with my BS, 5+ years experience, and a variety of industry certifications.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
correct BreBar21. Minimum wage+ tips.

Criag, as far as being a bartender, it is still going to be hard to get a job right off the bat. Restaurants want EXPERIENCE. Especially the ones where you will make money. The bar tenders at my restaurant made about $200-$300 on an average weekend night. $400 on busy nights, but they work A LOT! They get there with the rest of us and are the last ones to leave.

Right now, I'm pulling in about $150-$250 a night and my long nights are 8 hours. Usually 6 is about average and I'm just waiting tables. I hope that helps, my friend. Shoot me a text if you have any questions or when you get through bartending school. I'll keep my ears open for a minimum experience job. Downtown is where it's at, buddy, if you want to make some good money :beer:

Last edited:

divided

Established Member
Thanks Brian I was wondering if you would see this. So you think the job placement at that school is BS? That was/is my primary reason for wanting to go to a school like that. I understand the experience thing and you've told me that before. I just though this was a way around that or at least a foot in the door.

I should add I know im not going to make bank right off the bat, nor do I expect too. Just want some cash flow.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thanks Brian I was wondering if you would see this. So you think the job placement at that school is BS? That was/is my primary reason for wanting to go to a school like that. I understand the experience thing and you've told me that before. I just though this was a way around that or at least a foot in the door.

I should add I know im not going to make bank right off the bat, nor do I expect too. Just want some cash flow.

BS, no....not at all. But it will be at a smaller bar most likely. You'll learn what you need to know and make decent money. I know that my Job wants a minimum of 2 years experience. Doesn't mean you won't find somewhere that will take you right out of school, but it will be harder to get a place that you will make GREAT money at right away.

I think one of our bar tenders went to a bar tending school.

PS-Did you get my new number? Same as the old one, but the last 4 digets are 8906

Last edited:

divided

Established Member
Thanks man, I did. Things have been pretty crazy for me lately. So in your educated opinion the school is worth doing? I'm totally cool with starting at wherever will take me and at least getting my foot in the door. Who knows where it will go from there. I just don't want to waste money, but honestly it looks pretty good to me. Who knows maybe this will be me.
Like I said I just need some cash flow to extend my actual job search. I'd love to stay in San Diego but if I don't find something soon that may not be an option.

article-49-img1.jpg

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thanks man, I did. Things have been pretty crazy for me lately. So in your educated opinion the school is worth doing? I'm totally cool with starting at wherever will take me and at least getting my foot in the door. Who knows where it will go from there. I just don't want to waste money, but honestly it looks pretty good to me. Who knows maybe this will be me.
Like I said I just need some cash flow to extend my actual job search. I'd love to stay in San Diego but if I don't find something soon that may not be an option.

article-49-img1.jpg

Yes. Bartending is a GREAT skill to have. It's a great way to make a quick grand (in a good location of course) in two days and some bars will let you guest bartend. Cool thing about bartending is that you can still go to school or have another job and just do it when you need some extra cash. Tons of perks. My vote would be to do it.

divided

Established Member
I just sold that little scooter I bought so I have some easy cash I can use for the classes. Looks like it only takes 2 weeks for the classes. I'll let you know what happens. I'm going to sit on the idea for a few days to make sure I really want to do it. But I need to do something. How's the cobra been treating you? The clutch still good?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I just sold that little scooter I bought so I have some easy cash I can use for the classes. Looks like it only takes 2 weeks for the classes. I'll let you know what happens. I'm going to sit on the idea for a few days to make sure I really want to do it. But I need to do something. How's the cobra been treating you? The clutch still good?

NOT THE SCOOTER!!!! HAHA! Cobra is great. Kinda bored with it now....is that bad? Playing with the idea of the last body style of the M3, but can't bring myself to give up a 500 hp car just yet. We shall see.

Clutch is perfect....no issues so far. I really think your issue was the clutch fork. I need to replace the flywheel, but other than that, she's good. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread