Any advice on fixing a drivers side window that won't roll down?

firebird1999us

Established Member
Strangley enough my drivers side window on my 2003 Mach will only roll down when it's cold outside. Anything over 70 and it won't go down. Do I need to replace the motor...I'd prefer do it myself so how difficult is the door panel to pull off? Any strategically placed screws that need to come out?

Car's in the paint shop right now or else I'd go out to the garage and attempt to take it apart...

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Can you hear the motor when you hit the button? It could be as simple as the switch, I know fox cars have a plastic gear that goes bad, but I am not sure on the 99+ cars.

firebird1999us

Established Member
Can you hear the motor when you hit the button? It could be as simple as the switch, I know fox cars have a plastic gear that goes bad, but I am not sure on the 99+ cars.

Cannot hear the motor. The button clicks but that's it...I suspect it's something funny like a piece of metal expanding one way instead of another because of the heat outside or something. When I took the car out for emissions testing in January when it was super cold it randomly worked fine:eek:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Cannot hear the motor. The button clicks but that's it...I suspect it's something funny like a piece of metal expanding one way instead of another because of the heat outside or something. When I took the car out for emissions testing in January when it was super cold it randomly worked fine:eek:

I would test the switch first and make sure you are getting fire. The one on my 04 F150 went out last year. It was the switch.

firebird1999us

Established Member
I would test the switch first and make sure you are getting fire. The one on my 04 F150 went out last year. It was the switch.

Shit that didn't even occurr to me. I can probably replace the switch by just unscrewing the panel and unplugging it. For some reason I just assumed it might be the motor. This is why the internet exists!:p

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Slam the door closed while holding the switch and see if that works..lol

Swap switches and try too.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Shit that didn't even occurr to me. I can probably replace the switch by just unscrewing the panel and unplugging it. For some reason I just assumed it might be the motor. This is why the internet exists!:p

Its easy to test it, just get your light tester out and and check fire to the switch, then hit the switch and make sure its throwing fire. If it is then your motor is out, if you dont have fire then the switch is out. My wifes sunroof wasn't working when we got it, and all it was a fuse blown.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Another random way to check to make sure the switch is good is to unplug it from the switch, ground the one wire and touch the other to a good battery. If the motor starts working you know the motor is good.

firebird1999us

Established Member
Another random way to check to make sure the switch is good is to unplug it from the switch, ground the one wire and touch the other to a good battery. If the motor starts working you know the motor is good.

By battery you mean something like a 9 volt right?

Users who are viewing this thread