Any advice for my new job? (telecommunications)

Andrewmach1

Established Member
I have an oppurtunity to work for TrueNet communications as an installer. They install, rebuild, replace upgrade equipment units/towers for cell phone companies and such. Right now they're working on a tmobile contract getting all their LTE/4G in te area up and running.

This would be a fresh start for me into this type of field. Im 21yrs old and I have no background in this type of work at all. Right now I work at a hospital doing patient transport. But that job has reached it's max for me and I feel like I've hit a wall in my life, I need a change.

My question is; For someone like me, no background or knowledge in this field, would it be ok for me to jump right in and learn this stuff? I'm a quick learner, but as I said this would all be 100% new to me. I never went to college (I realize it's still not too late) and feel that everyone around me in these types of fields has previous education/knowledge. Is there anyone on here who started like me and did fine? I'd be getting hire through a friend of mine, actually my girlfriends brother in law, I don't want to jump into this and fail after having him push for me to get hired on his name. It wouldn't look good for him if that happened.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to start on the right foot.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Every job I've taken I had no experience and ended up maxing out. The only way to know is to try and if they are confident enough to hire you, then what do you have to loose beside pride if you can't succeed?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I don't know if the scope of your job includes designing where phone cables will be laying or anything, but if it does, don't call in ****ing stupid utility locates.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Don't let the fear failing stop you from evening trying. If you feel you're at a wall with your current job either knock it down or make a change. I know it's hard when there is a lot of uncertainty but if you believe in yourself I am sure you will do just fine with the new job. Whichever route you choose, good luck!

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
You said you're a fast learner, and being here I assume you have some mechanical ability. Just be humble and don't assume you know anything about the job. Watch, listen, and learn.

I've jumped into a couple foreign fields feet first and succeeded. Work hard and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread