Any 1998 cobras running vortech v2????

98cobraV2_707

Established Member
Ok so heres the deal...

I recently bought a 98 cobra with a vortech v2. The original owner had it installed in 2000. He told me that when they installed it with the superchip, it wouldnt start so they used a diff type of chip and it ran however when he would push it near or to redline, the car would shoot white smoke out of the pipes and ping.. After a while he sent the ecu in for testing, they told him that particular ecu did not work good with aftermarket chips, so it was removed and he said it ran better ever since but was told not to take it to redline...basically the car as it sits now is running boost on a stock ecu. Ive called vortech and they say 96-98 never came with a chip BUT i have the 98 instruction manual and it has a section on how to install the chip.....HELP! Anybody with the same setup, if like to know what youre using for the timing or retard...

bab98cobra

Established Member
I have a v2 on my 98. I had to send my ecu to vortech and they sent it back with a superchip. The chip was for stock injectors. I am running 42s so I had to get a tune from a local shop. The car did not run very good with the vortech chip. I would say take it and get it tuned.

DaveB96SVT

Established Member
When I pieced together my vortech v2 setup on my '96.. it came with a superchip, but set for 42#s and I was running 60#s ..ran fine, but just to get it to the tuner safely.

Users who are viewing this thread