Any 03-06 E55 AMG owners in here?

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Actually, I don't need to ask that question because I know there's a couple of you guys in here, at least. I've taken an interest in these cars as a possible next car to buy, mainly because they seem to be quite affordable for the performance level they offer. What I want to know is, how reliable are these cars? Have you had any major issues with yours? I know these cars are chock-full of electronics and fancy gadgets, but that just means more can go wrong, and I also know that Mercedes' reliability was pretty shoddy for a few years in the early 2000's.

If you've had any issues, or know of problem areas on these cars, please do share your story. I've read that an extended warranty is a must-have...

Also, if you have pics of your or anyone else's modified E55, I'd love to see it, along with a run-down of what's been done to the car if possible.

Cheers! :beer:

Phil

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
When are you looking to buy>??? My buddy is trying to get rid of his bills and off load his '05 E55 AMG.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I dont personally own one but a close friend does. He has an E63 actually and swears by that car. He did a have a few complaints, the auto tranny shifted somewhat slow. There was also an issue with the tranny slipping into manual (paddle-shift mode) by itself under aggressive driving. Theres been an ECU update for that. It eats the fuses for the cigarette lighter, his has been replaced 7 times already.

Only problem I see is that you are getting a great car at a good price but still paying repair prices as if it were a brand new AMG.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I'm still making payments on the Cobra until June 2012, so it won't be before then. I like to do my research and make sure I haven't overlooked any interesting cars.

The E63 is the same car, but with a normally aspirated engine. Impressive engine, but I like boost. :) Maybe this summer I will start test driving some E55s to see how I like them. I'm aware that they exist in the wagon body style too. I've seen a couple for sale over the last few months, but they're rare as hell, and I'm not sure the wagons exist in Canada. Ultimate sleeper once the badges are removed, but I'd leave them on there!

GodStang

Established Member
bigsweezey on here is selling his 2004 MB E55 AMG. May want to ask him some questions on how he liked it and what not.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I've only had it a few months so no problems. I can rave about the car all day. I have no complains out of the ordinary. Maintence is expensive. The brakes are expensive to be replaced(seems one of the biggest issues on the forums when I was looking). It's like anything else, if u take it to the dealer it's not gonna be cheap. Seems alot of Benz owners use the dealer.
Build quailty is above anything domestic or Japanese. All that interior shit top gear bitchs about really is true.
It's kind of weird riding around in a 4 door, mash the gas and the back tires blow off. Cruise up to 140 without realizing it, notice your ass is a bit warm so u turn the seat cooler on.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
I am a master certified MB tech. They are pretty solid cars. Get a newer one if you can as the interior quality is much better. Do NOT get an E63 as the 55 is more fun to drive and can be faster easier. I love driving the 55s with renntech pulleys and ecu tunes... very fun!

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I am a master certified MB tech. They are pretty solid cars. Get a newer one if you can as the interior quality is much better. Do NOT get an E63 as the 55 is more fun to drive and can be faster easier. I love driving the 55s with renntech pulleys and ecu tunes... very fun!

What do you mean by "get a newer one"? Are there specific years to look for or avoid? I'm specifically eyeing the E55 because of the supercharger. Anybody who owns a Terminator knows how much fun and how easy it is to upgrade a car that already has a blower on it!

BigSweezey

Established Member
Check out mbworld.org and benzworld.org
one is better than the other, I just can't remember which and I'm on my phone.

BigSweezey

Established Member
I wanna say getting the brakes done is over 2k.
Drilled rotors so they won't turn them.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
What do you mean by "get a newer one"? Are there specific years to look for or avoid? I'm specifically eyeing the E55 because of the supercharger. Anybody who owns a Terminator knows how much fun and how easy it is to upgrade a car that already has a blower on it!

I would stay away from the 03s as the interior build quality isn't as good. They are real fun comfy cars.

GTRdone

Established Member
I had a 2005 for over a year a while back and my friend has a 2004 now. They are great cars, the only thing I can remember is the airbag suspension as far as problems/things to look out for. Otherwise everything else can be found out on mbworld. best of luck to you

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I don't personally own one but I work at a MB dealer so I've driven a ton of them. I would also agree with bubbaflaat when he said he liked the E55's over E63's. The E55's will also be cheaper to purchase. The maintenance and repairs will be a killer if you're not prepared for it, as pretty much any MB. I was actually really interested in the E55's when I bought my Cobra a couple years ago, but they were still out of my price range. If you figure in the maintenance required to keep such a car running well, and get an extended warranty, I'd say go for it. They'll run 12's stock and you'll still be able to haul around your buddies and put stuff in the trunk. For the money, there isn't really a better car for what you get.

silverstang23

Established Member
Here are photos of an 03 I took for someone who is selling his (still for sale). Not sure the mods but puts over 600 to the ground. I know it has cams, headers, and pulley. Sounds badass. The rims are vossens. Don't know anything else about it. The car is in Atlanta, let me know if you want more info about it

Bill Bass - a set on Flickr

Edit:
More info...
The vehicle is a 2003 AMG Mercedes, E-55, black on black with 640 HP at the rear wheels. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, quarter mile in 11.4 seconds at 119 MPH with pump gas and street tires. $4000 custom black and chrome Mercedes factory wheels and brand new tires. Windows are tinted, smoked lights, real spoiler, leather interior, sun roof. Kleman cold-air intake, Kleman long-tube headers, special cat-back duel exhausts, multi-CD player, new floor mats, black burl-wood trim with upgraded matching steering wheel, Kleman factory tune and special pulley.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread