Antifreeze leak

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
So my car started leaking antifreeze yesterday out of nowhere..

I traced the leak down to the large coolant hose coming off of my coolant rail, down towards the lower part of the engine bay. At first I thought it to be a bum clamp, but after I swapped it out, I realized it was still leaking. I looked at it some more and realized I think its the thermometer housing, if thats what I'm looking at anyway. The leak seems to becoming from in between the two metal housings the hose connects to. I am assuming that one of them is the thermometer housing, but I just wanted to verify that.

Also any ideas as to what might have caused the sudden onset of the leak?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
The thermostat hangs in the air between the radiator and the engine. If you are talking about two metal housings, you might be referring to the oil cooler. If you are referring to the oil cooler, you have two choices; save time effort and money and kill yourself now, or, buy a new one. If it is the oil cooler, it is a TOTAL waste of time to fool with new o rings, parts, or fixes. You can get on from a guy on here FORDSVTPARTS, and he will hook you up with a great price on a new one.

I had an INFERNAL leak coming from that thing that was so slow I always though it was no big deal, but it would always let the car run hot or not let me be able to burp it. Track down the leak for sure, and report back.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Yeah this isnt really a small leak..

It pretty much is a constant drip like a faucet turned on slightly. It sucks. Its raining right now but as soon as it drys up I will be out there getting some pics for you all.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
It could still be the cooler. Mine dripped differently depending on the weather. You may not need a whole new cooler. It is cerainly possible that over time due to oil changes, the bolt has been backed out and it simply needs to be tightened. I'll have to go out and look to see wich hex it is.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Well I took it apart today and it was defenitely the thermometer housing. It was cracked right by the bolt. Whoever last bolted it on did it way too tight. I'm going to assume it has always been cracked but only recently came apart enough to leak. Lucky for me Autozone has the part for $11.

Users who are viewing this thread