Antifreeze leak.... Help

Pettinella2005

Established Member
So I have a 99 cobra with a come and go Antifreeze leak . It is leaking from between the motor and the tranny. When it leaks it will leak for days even when the car is off for days. Any ideas what this could be before I go tearing things apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shurur

Established Member
By leaking between the tranny and motor, I take it that you see a stream from under the car that is at that point. If that is the case, I would fill her up again and take note as to how much it takes to fill...that might give a clue of how high or low the leak is.
then start looking along the firewall area first

You should see where the dried coolant is as it will leave a residue.

you could also try using a dye and Light kit.
or rent a pressure kit..

Aside:
I just went through this with my audi.
It was a 16yo TB coolant hose that I tore while redoing my PCV system.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I'd start with the hoses that connect the 2 hoses coming out of the heater core or the heater core itself. If you aren't getting coolant in the car it could still be leaking down the engine side of the firewall. Or it could be leaking at the "crack pipe" fitting that is on the rear of the passenger head where the heater core feed hose attaches to. Those are really the only things near the firewall that it could be unless a freeze plug is loose on a head somewhere.

shurur

Established Member
I'd start with the hoses that connect the 2 hoses coming out of the heater core or the heater core itself. If you aren't getting coolant in the car it could still be leaking down the engine side of the firewall. Or it could be leaking at the "crack pipe" fitting that is on the rear of the passenger head where the heater core feed hose attaches to. Those are really the only things near the firewall that it could be unless a freeze plug is loose on a head somewhere.

There is is also a dreaded hose under intake, in the valley?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Well if that is leaking it could be from anywhere in the hose. Yes you could check that too. Dreaded? Pull the intake and it pops right off. WP is easy as well if you need to do the nipple and at that point you might as well just get the MMR threaded nipple and put a braided line under there.

52merc

Established Member
Ethylene glycol glows under blacklight. If you can get a hold of a UV bulb, the same type as used for MPI (Magnet Particle Inspection), it might help in determining where the leak is coming from. All you need is a dark place to do the inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread