Antifreeze Changeout

52merc

Established Member
So I finally decided to change out the antifreeze in the Cobra. I know, some of you are going to think I'm crazy, but the antifreeze in the car was the factory fill (low mileage car). I have never changed it before now. I did, however, keep an eye on it, and added an extra corrosion protection additive a couple of times. The antifreeze was still a nice clear green, but it was time for a change, and I'm sure most of you would say long overdue. I was running a 75% glycol mix as -40° here in the winter is quite possible. The initial draining showed no sludge or anything alarming. I performed a flush with some Prestone Radiator Flush. After a good drive and a cool down, I drained that, and again, it was really clean.

The thermostat housing looked like new on the inside. The cross-over plug came out without any excessive force. Same with the block drain plug, although my old trusty Craftsman ratchet broke in the process (can't change ratcheting direction anymore). The plug and cross-over tube, from what I could see, were clean as well. All the hoses still are in good shape, so I didn't change anything else out.

Refilled with Global Extended-Life Motomaster (Canadian Tire house brand made, I think, by Prestone). Before using this, I checked to make sure it met Ford ESE-M97B44-A, which it does. Took it for a drive and now I'm waiting for it to cool down so I can check levels and for air.

52merc

Established Member
I keep my daily drivers for a long time, usually 10+ years before getting rid of them. I do not change parts for the sake of changing parts. I use extended service oil (except in the Cobra which use to get Amsoil until it got to $12 or more a litre - now it gets Mobil 1), good quality oil filters, and as soon as there is a hint of a problem, I look after it. I believe there is nothing worse for your car, or anything else, then letting a problem fester itself.

The Cobra is not winter driven, rarely sees rain, and our climate is very dry. I don't even use fuel stabilizer when I put it away for the winter. Many years it gets stored outside during the winter, but that doesn't hurt anything as long as you keep the battery up. I change the oil just before, fill up the gas tank, and park it. I often don't start it again until spring, April at the earliest.

Users who are viewing this thread