antennas on retired police cars

svtdriven

Established Member
I picked up a retired police car last month. It is in pretty good shape, and the plugged holes are the only eye sore. Would reinstalling antennas be crossing the line to impersonating a police officer? the car also has a driver side mounted spotlight and the "police interceptor" emblem on the trunk lid.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Thier is no way that would be illegal. I see it all the time. The only thing I can think off is as long as thier are no county/city/leo badges or decals. I'm no LEO so I could be wrong, but if it is illegal, then they need to do something about all them damn red necks and thier 37 anntennas and what not!

Jersey Vics

www.SVTregistry.com
Established Member
antennas you place on any other car are fine.... as soon as you start mounting antennas on a retired crown victoria police interceptor you will start getting harrased by the police especially when they don't like you.

check out crownvic.net for horror stories of that happening to people.

--Russ

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
How many antennas were on the car? I wouldn't imagine one or two would be that big a deal. Heck, 05 Crown Vics came from the factory with a mast radio antenna and then in 06 went back into the rear window. I transferred by external cell antenna from a previous vehicle and put it on the Vic. With both antennas mixed with the stance of the HPP suspension, it has a tendency to slow down traffic by its appearance. You'd think people would recognize a regular radio antenna and a cell phone antenna but the sight of them on the back of a CV just makes people wonder if its an unmarked car I suppose. I don't get flak from law enforcement. My experience with my car is that I get quite a few simple waves and a few looks over the medians from LEOs. Whether this is an admiration for the car or simply being mistaken for a LEO I don't know. So, I usually just nod or return a wave and go about my business.

If you're going to be putting several whip antennas on your car, you might come under more scrutiny...especially with a spotlight and PI badging and if you're driving is too aggressive that may draw more attention to yourself. One thing I'd say is I wouldn't put antennas on a car without any purpose for them. If you want a CB or external cell antenna, I'd probably want them working so that it doesn't look shady.

svtdriven

Established Member
Well, I wouldn't be connecting them to anything. but there would be 2 on the trunk lid and one on the roof. I've thought about just going ahead and getting a satellite radio antenna like the ones on bmw's and putting that on the roof, but there is still the two on the trunk lid that could be an issue.

Funny thing is, I'd never noticed any other retired police cars(that weren't taxi cabs) on the road until now. Now I see them everywhere, and a lot of them have antennas. I'll probably just put the antennas on and see what happens. The antennas are cheaper than having the roof and trunk lid holes filled and painted. And its not like I am going to be driving aggressively with this car.

Users who are viewing this thread