• Stay at the current position.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Take the new job.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

04YellowGT

Established Member
Another What Would You Do.

A little back story. I've been with my company as a design draftsman for 5.5 years now. Have a AS and finishing up my BS. Will be 10 classes away at the end of this year and most likely 1.5 years to complete it. In those 5.5 years I've went from a paper pusher to basically working on full up designs from concept to production while still doing all the paper work associated with releasing and updating products and parts. I carry basically 3 of the 4 divisions of our company by myself and there are two others in my group plus my boss. The others don't know the CAD tools I use and can offer basically no help. During this time I have been promoted once and had one merit raise plus a yearly 2-3% we all get. I have addressed my frustrations with boss from time to time to no avail. I even discussed this before my midyear review with hopes of a promotion and raise. Still nothing.

A month ago I was contacted by head hunter from a local engineering firm. They talked to me on phone interview, had an in person interview, followed by a second meeting with an offer. The offer was about 50% more than what i make now with a higher title. Truthfully I don't think I'm worth what they are willing to pay me. Sounds like an easy decision but it has its downfalls, the company recently laid off 300+ people and moved a division to its main headquarters. They use a CAD tool I know but am not a fan of. The company is very large and I feel like you are just a number to them and they really don't care about you and i think it will be hard to advance in the new company.

I talked to my boss and told him about my offer. They were shocked but not surprised at the same time. The VP of the company even got involved to make something happen quickly. I've been offered a pay bump now with a promise of a promotion and another pay bump at the end of the year. Still doesn't even come close to the other offer. I feel like I have very solid footing where I'm at. I love what we do and I work with great people. The VP knows of me and is working to keep me there so I believe that is a good sign. He is also tracking my degree closely. I guess the only downfall of the company is the pay and being in a stagnant position for so long.

So what would you do? Stay with the hopes of growing or take the risk at the new place with the big pay check?

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
Another What Would You Do.

A little back story. I've been with my company as a design draftsman for 5.5 years now. Have a AS and finishing up my BS. Will be 10 classes away at the end of this year and most likely 1.5 years to complete it. In those 5.5 years I've went from a paper pusher to basically working on full up designs from concept to production while still doing all the paper work associated with releasing and updating products and parts. I carry basically 3 of the 4 divisions of our company by myself and there are two others in my group plus my boss. The others don't know the CAD tools I use and can offer basically no help. During this time I have been promoted once and had one merit raise plus a yearly 2-3% we all get. I have addressed my frustrations with boss from time to time to no avail. I even discussed this before my midyear review with hopes of a promotion and raise. Still nothing.

A month ago I was contacted by head hunter from a local engineering firm. They talked to me on phone interview, had an in person interview, followed by a second meeting with an offer. The offer was about 50% more than what i make now with a higher title. Truthfully I don't think I'm worth what they are willing to pay me. Sounds like an easy decision but it has its downfalls, the company recently laid off 300+ people and moved a division to its main headquarters. They use a CAD tool I know but am not a fan of. The company is very large and I feel like you are just a number to them and they really don't care about you and i think it will be hard to advance in the new company.

I talked to my boss and told him about my offer. They were shocked but not surprised at the same time. The VP of the company even got involved to make something happen quickly. I've been offered a pay bump now with a promise of a promotion and another pay bump at the end of the year. Still doesn't even come close to the other offer. I feel like I have very solid footing where I'm at. I love what we do and I work with great people. The VP knows of me and is working to keep me there so I believe that is a good sign. He is also tracking my degree closely. I guess the only downfall of the company is the pay and being in a stagnant position for so long.

So what would you do? Stay with the hopes of growing or take the risk at the new place with the big pay check?

You are young, take the money. Save more, pay off debt

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
How small is the place you are at now and how big is the place you are considering. It's all relative. I work for one of the largest professional services companies in the world with 60k employees and offices in 120 countries and I don't like it. 15yrs ago I worked for a company with 120 employees and it was the best job I ever had. I very much feel like a number where I am now. If you are happy where you are and like the work and people and aren't in desperate need of the big pay check, I say stay there, but let the VP know that you are leaving money on the table with the other offer because your current company is where you want to be and have a future.

jbs$

Established Member
Some question, how old is your Boss, do you like what you do, and, except for your current pay, do you like your current company and the people there?

04YellowGT

Established Member
You are young, take the money. Save more, pay off debt

Thats what I keep thinking. I really have no debt other than my home and my new truck. Even then I could pay my truck off with my additional salary in about a year and just bank that money after that.

How small is the place you are at now and how big is the place you are considering. It's all relative. I work for one of the largest professional services companies in the world with 60k employees and offices in 120 countries and I don't like it. 15yrs ago I worked for a company with 120 employees and it was the best job I ever had. I very much feel like a number where I am now. If you are happy where you are and like the work and people and aren't in desperate need of the big pay check, I say stay there, but let the VP know that you are leaving money on the table with the other offer because your current company is where you want to be and have a future.

The company I work for is around 300-400 people. It is owned by a holdings company that owns companies world wide and we are one of the larger and most successful company they own. The company looking at me is about twice the size and is nation wide.

I have already told my boss and my boss's boss I don't want to leave and that I would be turning down a large amount of money to stay. I love what I do, like the people I work with. Everything about the company I like but I almost feel like I'm being taken advantage of when I can't get a promotion or a real raise. If I would have been given a 5-10% raise back when I had my mid year review I would have been fat dumb and happy. Now I see what another company is willing to pay and its hard to be happy with that.

Some question, how old is your Boss, do you like what you do, and, except for your current pay, do you like your current company and the people there?

Boss is in his mid-late 50s and has never been a manager until working at my current company. Great guy but I feel like he doesn't know his place and isn't sure how to fight for his employees. I also don't know if he fully understands everything I really do on a day to day basis.

See my previous reply above on thoughts of the company.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Thats a hard decision man. A lot of money is great but if you end up hating the job you will find yourself dreading going to work every day. If i were in your position I would get everything your current employer has promised in writing. Then if they break that contract you have legal recourse. It sounds like you really like your job and if they do what they say then you will be happy with the pay. My thought is a job you enjoy with good pay is a better life than a job you hate and great pay.
I say this because you seem to feel your current position is secure and its not going anywhere. From the sounds of it your going to be constantly worried about job security at the new position. Jobe security is a great feeling compared to wondering if your the next guy on the chopping block all the time.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Let me tell you my story. As it's backwards of yours.
I'm a man of no real degree, worked my way up to automation engineer, 24 years old.

Worked at ABB for 3 years. They paid me next to nothing, but I was traveling 300+ days/year so even though my base salary was less than I made earlier on a production floor, together with the travelling allowance and all the overtime I did the money that ended in my pocket was a big number.
Then I got tired of their shit they constantly tried to pull on me.
At the same time I met my girlfriend, and she lived around 4 hours away from my home town. After a while she jokingly said that the company her sisters husband works at are looking for an engineer. A few days later I had an interview there.
Small company, stand up people who told me the truth instead of some bullshit lies that all the big companies tells you.

So I took the job, and I reduced my salary with 50% while doing it.
I was making almost in the six figures salary per year at my old job.
But in all honesty, it was so god damn worth it. I would do it any time over again.

In a large company, you are nothing.
There are hundreds of people standing in a line with their CV's in their hand, just waiting to take over your job.
For small companies you're a great assett (assuming you're good at you are, which I assume). And they would not want to lose you at all.

I've now tried large, and small companies.
And I'm staying at this small company for a long time if everything continues the way it has.

oldmodman

Established Member
Stay.

Your current company sounds like a nice fit. And with them willing to pay you more to keep you it sounds like there is more chance of longevity for you too.

I have heard of too many people that have gotten big offers from companies so they they (the new company) can put you in to patch a hole in their staffing and as soon as the bulge in the workload is over. So are you.

Last edited:

Steve1578

Established Member
I vote stay. I went from a small company to a large one and it's total culture shock. A lot of things change, there's a lot of bureaucratic BS that comes with larger companies, and worst of all, you're nothing to them.
They jest went through 300+ layoffs, that would be enough to keep me where I'm at especially with them offering to up your salary.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
If you're looking to keep this as a career, I honestly vote stay. If you're looking for a short term gain, go with the higher paying big company.

3 years ago I went from a job I loved to one making ridiculous money, but I hate. The thing is, I have exactly zero intentions of staying here, so I'm here short term for the money. Hopefully once I'm done with this side of things I can go back to a job I love with a paid off house and toys and such.

nxhappy

Established Member
50% more money, at a large corp? **** yeah you need to take it .....

I don't care what anyone says, money is money and you are always going to "dislike" working anyway

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally would stay where you are at. The big corporations and layoffs are the most scary parts for me. You likely will be just that, a "number".

If your pretty young, I'd wait awhile. Other things may find you in the future. If you took the new job then got laid off a year later would your old job still be there waiting?

A well established secure job is more important to me than something that could be gone in 3-5 years. Especially if your happy with the people you work with. Sometimes that's worth than a increase in pay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread