Another whipple thread.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
So within two weeks I will be installing a whipple w/supporting mods for my fathers 2003 cobra, is there any tips or advise that is useful for this install?

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
I just got done installing my 3.4 whipple with aftermarket fuel rails. A little different setup from yours but for me it was easier to install the blower on the lower intake with it off the car and put it back on the car as a whole piece. Ensure all vaccuum line will mount properly and know the right locations. Also, start looking for the right belt size you will need and get a base tune ready from your tuner.

I'd also recommend deleteing the EGR system because it makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner but its a huge pain in the ass and its probably required for emissions

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I just got done installing my 3.4 whipple with aftermarket fuel rails. A little different setup from yours but for me it was easier to install the blower on the lower intake with it off the car and put it back on the car as a whole piece. Ensure all vaccuum line will mount properly and know the right locations. Also, start looking for the right belt size you will need and get a base tune ready from your tuner.

I'd also recommend deleteing the EGR system because it makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner but its a huge pain in the ass and its probably required for emissions

+1. Might have to clearance rails or plenum, depending on which model whipple you get and if you use aftermarket fuel rails.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member

Stock rails for now and egr has to stay for the wonderful state of commiefornia... :bash:

Thanks for the input, I'll get a belt this upcoming week.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
yes assemble with lower intake....be carefull not to snap the lower intercooler tiny bolts. Also torque on the lower manifold is really low ...i dont recall but just be carefull they snap real easy. Good luck post some pics of it when you get it on.

So who you getting it tuned by?
Did you get a 2.9?

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
It's pretty straight forward. Just take your time and be patient...everybody says to assemble it and drop the blower with the lower intake in as one piece but I didn't do it that way and had no issues. A second set of hands will be helpful for dropping it in though.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
yes assemble with lower intake....be carefull not to snap the lower intercooler tiny bolts. Also torque on the lower manifold is really low ...i dont recall but just be carefull they snap real easy. Good luck post some pics of it when you get it on.

So who you getting it tuned by?
Did you get a 2.9?

All out in Fresno will be the tuning, I have a ford service manual disk so values/patterns won't be a issue. I'm not really new to mod motors or engine builds, just when it comes to aftermarket performance stuff tends to make me a little nervous.

Edit: he bought a 2.9 whipple, guess they are on a 6 week back order... lol and pics of before and after will be taken :beer:

Last edited:

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
It's pretty straight forward. Just take your time and be patient...everybody says to assemble it and drop the blower with the lower intake in as one piece but I didn't do it that way and had no issues. A second set of hands will be helpful for dropping it in though.

I'll be removing the hood for extra clearance for the install

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Whipple installed, I'll be wiring in the diablio maf-i-a extender tomorrow and setting a belt in (no parts stores have them currently in stock, for a stock belt) pics will be posted soon

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
i assembled mine as unit with the lower intake and dropped it in with a buddy helping me and it wasnt bad at all. you wont need to remove the hood, theres plenty of room to work with and it will stand straight up if you need it to. lower intake to head bolt torque is 89 in. lb. and I would honestly call Steve at Tousley Ford and order a new set of lower intake bolts since they are torque to yield and that way you avoid any chance of breaking on off inside the the head.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Hey OP and anyone else who reads this, check your water pump pulley bolts while your in there turning wrenches. I had mine fall off this past week and destroyed the inner belt. It should have four bolts and obviously they should be tight. I guess mine all came loose at one time.

Also, glad to hear your install went well!

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Hey OP and anyone else who reads this, check your water pump pulley bolts while your in there turning wrenches. I had mine fall off this past week and destroyed the inner belt. It should have four bolts and obviously they should be tight. I guess mine all came loose at one time.

Also, glad to hear your install went well!

I haven't checked them lately but I will on the cars next pm, it's due in a few weeks, which reminds me to prolly go through the Mach and gt also -_-

Anyways we had to let the sit Sunday for not having the correct belt in stock at the local parts stores, got that today and also threw in a new clutch cable and firewall adjuster. The tuner that did the work was a con artist and used the existing cable.. And took the slack out of the cable by maxing out the adjuster and using a hose clamp on the end of the cable :bash: lol. The car runs like a crackhead but sounds mean, Saturday it's getting tuned by a all out perf. In Fresno.

*note not the same guy that did the hack work

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
aduzumus.jpg

Sorry for the huge image, but here is the best pic I got of it but will have high res shots this weekend :)

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Numbers are in! I got little tweaks to do as far as supporting parts for the car but it purrs like a kitten

8u2enede.jpg

mach1033

Established Member
So within two weeks I will be installing a whipple w/supporting mods for my fathers 2003 cobra, is there any tips or advise that is useful for this install?

I have nice interior parts for your lemans if your interested?

Last edited:

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Sweet, I'm not currently working on the car but finding decent parts that are not overly expensive is nice lol

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Well there just taking up space in my basement. So we can work something out I'm sure. Pics to come tomorrow :beer:

hell yeah dude!:beer: my interior was shot when I picked up the car in 06, looked the the owner raped a dog in it :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread